Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Journey fires and sues Steve Smith, Ross Valory

Journey fires and sues Steve Smith, Ross Valory

This is being reported on several sites. The below is from Melodicrock.com:

JOURNEY’S Neal Schon & Jonathan Cain have put recent tensions behind them to launch an extraordinary lawsuit against fellow band members Steve Smith and Ross Valory.

Smith & Valory have been fired, effective immediately.

Steve Perry votes with Schon & Cain to maintain the current arrangements.

It seems Smith & Valory were attempting to take control of the band’s business entity Nightmare Productions to guarantee a better pay-day for after their retirement.

Here’s one summary:

[The] defendants attempted to launch an ill-conceived corporate coup d'état to assume control of Nightmare Productions because they incorrectly believe that Nightmare Productions controls the Journey name and Mark. They hope that, by taking over Nightmare Productions, they can hold the Journey name hostage and set themselves up with a guaranteed income stream after they stop performing. Smith and Valory began their campaign to take control of Nightmare Productions in December 2019 by conspiring to oust Schon and Cain from control.

Schon & Cain hit back with this:

---start---

Dear Mr. Smith and Mr. Valory:

This firm is counsel for Jonathan Cain and Neal Schon.

Mr. Schon and Mr. Cain are the remaining principal members of the band Journey.

Unfortunately, your recent actions, in concert with others, have demonstrated that you are no longer acting in the best interests of the band. As set forth in a Complaint filed today in the Superior Court of Contra Costa County, California, you both participated in a scheme to takeover one of the band’s entities, Nightmare Productions, Inc., in breach of your fiduciary obligations.

You did so to enrich yourselves at the expense of our clients and to the detriment of the band. Our clients have lost all confidence in you and are not willing to perform with you.

Mr. Schon and Mr. Cain, through Elmo Partners, hold the sole exclusive, irrevocable license to the Journey name and all associated rights (the “Journey Mark”). Specifically, pursuant to the Trademark License Agreement, dated January 15, 1985, Nightmare Productions, Inc. provided this license to Elmo Partners. The agreement provides that the license shall continue “until the date upon which none of Stephen Perry, Neal Joseph Schon, or Jonathan Cain is actively engaged in a professional music career utilizing the name “JOURNEY.”

Mr. Schon and Mr. Cain shall continue to pursue their music careers under the name Journey. Elmo Partners therefore retains and will continue to hold the exclusive, irrevocable license to the Journey Mark. Pursuant to the Agreement between the Elmo Partners, Mr. Schon and Mr. Cain control the Journey Mark. Mr. Schon and Mr. Cain are expressly authorized to perform together under the Journey Mark, with or without anyone else.

You have absolutely no rights to the Journey Mark and are not authorized to use the Journey Mark in any way. Effective immediately, you are no longer members of the band Journey and cannot perform under the name Journey.

If you act in contravention of our clients’ rights, please be advised that we will take all legal steps to protect the rights of our clients.

Nothing contained herein is intended to waive any and all rights of Mr. Cain and Mr. Schon, and all such rights and remedies are expressly reserved.”

----end---

You can read the whole complaint, the evidence against and see Steve Perry vote with Schon & Cain to maintain the business status quo.

Link: https://mms.businesswire.com/media/2...pdf?download=1

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...0303006138/en/

And, reading over the lawsuit, there is this, indicating that the band will hire new "very talented" guys to carry on:

"As a result of their termination, Smith and Valory are no longer members of the band Journey and cannot perform under the name Journey. They will be replaced with other very talented musicians."

Also - never knew Cain's real name was Jonathan Friga.

Don't stop believing.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Wow. I have to say that it's very cool that Steve Perry's name is included in the language about the use of the Journey mark.
    Chad

Journey has become it's own cover band, nobody really cares whet they do at this point.

They really have no problem airing their dirty laundry, do they?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Ross Valory was one of the founding members, beside Neal Schon. What a flustercluck. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    They really have no problem airing their dirty laundry, do they?
    Their lawsuit is a matter of public record, so it got out there pretty fast. Not like Journey is announcing all of this.

Fuck Journey

They sold their musical souls to the devil when they brought in Steve Perry.

Wow. This will set the Real Music Observer's channel on fire. Expect a nonstop flood of speculation videos on this topic.

When I first saw this news, I thought "Wait, this information is 35 years out of date!" (Valory and Smith were both fired back in 1985, also). I had forgotten that Steve Smith had recently re-joined (or is that re-re-joined) the band.
    I have to say that it's very cool that Steve Perry's name is included in the language about the use of the Journey mark.
    I don't know the details of how it came to be, but from judging from a comment that Herbie Herbert, the band's original manager, made in an interview I read a number of years ago, Steve Perry gets a cut of Journey's touring profits, whether or not he's actually performing with them. Herbie said the band was effectively "Steve's bitches", in that regard.

Herbie made a comment to the effect that if you were out in the sea, drowning, and Steve Perry came along in a boat, he'd only let you onto the boat under such terms that you would rather just drown than deal with Perry. I also understand that it was Perry who fired Valory and Smith back in 1985, unilaterally. When they did the Behind The Music on the band, he's like "Oh, I never really felt like I was a part of the band", and I can't remember which band member it was like "Wait, what does he mean by that?! He was the making all the decisions, calling all the shots, firing people, hiring people, etc, and he didn't feel like he was part of the band?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    Fuck Journey

Yeah.....

The first Perry album was good, but the first three albums were their best, especially Next.

I just heard Any Way You Want It in a pub. Gag. Crap. .

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Their lawsuit is a matter of public record, so it got out there pretty fast. Not like Journey is announcing all of this.
    I suppose, but doesn't Schon have a habit of going public with such stuff, too?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I suppose, but doesn't Schon have a habit of going public with such stuff, too?
    Oh he does - his feud with/opinions about Cain over the last couple of years was all put out there by him. I have not seen Journey comment on this story at all. Just a lawsuit that became part of the public record and reported upon.

Oh he does - his feud with/opinions about Cain over the last couple of years was all put out there by him. I have not seen Journey comment on this story at all. Just a lawsuit that became part of the public record and reported upon.
    Yea, the Schon / Cain feud was all over the internet only about a year or so ago. I get the feeling all of these guys pretty much hate each other at this point. Although he is probably enjoying the touring paycheck, poor Arnel must be wondering what the hell he got himself into.

Fuck Journey

100% Agree!

I saw the Prog-pre-Perry band twice, back in the 70's, once with Thin Lizzy and once with TR Utopia and the were a great jam band, long before they became a chick band...!

I was just thinking, right now would be a good time for Neal to get back together with either Jan Hammer or Sammy Hagar, and make another bad ass rock n roll record.

And, reading over the lawsuit, there is this, indicating that the band will hire new "very talented" guys to carry on:

"As a result of their termination, Smith and Valory are no longer members of the band Journey and cannot perform under the name Journey. They will be replaced with other very talented musicians."

Also - never knew Cain's real name was Jonathan Friga.
    At least they are going to hire talented musicians instead of very untalented ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I was just thinking, right now would be a good time for Neal to get back together with either Jan Hammer or Sammy Hagar, and make another bad ass rock n roll record.

[viww.youtube.com/watch?v=sh93oEqBHbY[/video]
    Not a bad idea, but Journey already has a huge arena tour booked for this summer. They are coming about 45 minutes from where I live. I am not going......

Chick band? Apparently me and my friends were chicks back in high school and didn't even know it!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Not a bad idea, but Journey already has a huge arena tour booked for this summer. They are coming about 45 minutes from where I live. I am not going......
    Yeah, I know. They're playing here, more or less too. I dunno if i want to see them without Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Chick band? Apparently me and my friends were chicks back in high school and didn't even know it!
    Not that there's anything wrong with it.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Fuck Journey

I'm sure they'll feel really confronted by a sentiment like that. Nothing says artistic integrity like poverty and obscurity