Thread: VDGG "Pawn Hearts" vinyl reissue: 4 Men With Beards label

VDGG "Pawn Hearts" vinyl reissue: 4 Men With Beards label

I was browsing in a Seattle record store this week and came across a wrapped vinyl copy of Pawn Hearts. I'd never gotten it on LP, and it's my favorite VDGG album, so I picked it up. I'm no audiophile, but it sounds great on my turntable.

Anyway, I checked out the imprint, and it's a company that apparently specializes in licensing rare and out-of-print music on vinyl only.

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/..._label_sam.php

Anyone ever heard of the "4 Men With Beards" label? Any opinions on the quality of their pressings?

The artwork looks great on this one, and it's a 180 gram platter. Looks like it was released last year.

I have Cluster 71 on this label. I had to send my first copy back to Forced Exposure because there were some tiny little flakes of metal in the inner sleeve that scratched the record when I pulled it out the first time. The second copy I got had the same problem, though not to the same degree. Google this company and you'll find they have a mostly negative reputation for quality.
    "Incredibly dismal, pathetic chord sequence..."
    http://discogs.com/seller/septober_energy

Interesting. Guess I got lucky with my copy.

I've a couple of Cluster albums on the label and they're both fine.

I bought three their VDGG reissues, very much enjoying all of them. Beats the ancient vinyl, for at least being new.

4 Men is a good record label, also tied IIRC with the reissue label Water. From the Bay area
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

We stock a lot of 4 Men With Beards vinyl and haven't had any problems at all.

How would tiny flakes of metal get into a cardboard sleeve?

Must be that crappy Euro-cardboard.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Anyone ever heard of the "4 Men With Beards" label? Any opinions on the quality of their pressings?

The artwork looks great on this one, and it's a 180 gram platter. Looks like it was released last year.
    I don't have any myself, as I've heard a lot of mixed things about their quality control. A friend picked up one of the VdGG albums and says it sounds fine. It could be a title by title issue with the quality, and what they used as the source. A quick read through the Steve Hoffman forums gives a pretty negative overall impression of the quality.

I've heard they source some of their material from digital sources, but to be honest, all the 4 men with beards products I have sound good.
    American Hollow - my prog band.

Quote Originally Posted by playbass View Post
    I've heard they source some of their material from digital sources, but to be honest, all the 4 men with beards products I have sound good.
    I was wary of this, but truthfully, if it's a good digital source, I don't think it would bother me that much on a $20 reissue. Good to hear more first hand experience.

Man up and buy original pressings.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    How would tiny flakes of metal get into a cardboard sleeve?

Must be that crappy Euro-cardboard.
    It wasn't integrated into the paper in the sleeve, it was loose inside the inner sleeve. Where the metallic flake came from I can't say.
    "Incredibly dismal, pathetic chord sequence..."
    http://discogs.com/seller/septober_energy

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Man up and buy original pressings.
    Hah! I do when I can afford it

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    Hah! I do when I can afford it
    Just be patient, do a search on both eBay.com and eBay.co.uk every few days and don't get suckered into a bidding war.
    I got the original first press pink scroll UK Charisma Pawn Hearts in EX condition for $34. It plays glorious. I can't imagine any re-release, digital or not, do better. I also have a later pressing on small pink Mad Hatter Charisma, it was $27 also EX. While not as great as the pink scroll, it still plays very nice indeed. I have some of the VdGG/Hammill later releases on the later blue Charisma label and they sound just as good as the pink hatters and are more plentiful.
    Last edited by oregonalex; 03-05-2013 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonalex View Post
    Just be patient, do a search on both eBay.com and eBay.co.uk every few days and don't get suckered into a bidding war.
    I got the original first press pink scroll UK Charisma Pawn Hearts in EX condition for $34. It plays glorious. I can't imagine any re-release, digital or not, do better. I also have a later pressing on small pink Mad Hatter Charisma, it was $27 also EX. While not as great as the pink scroll, it still plays very nice indeed. I have some of the VdGG/Hammill later releases on the later blue Charisma label and they sound just as good as the pinks and are more plentiful.
    Oh, I'm always on the lookout. I actually have the pink Charisma pressing - got it for around $10 at WFMU a few years back. Suits me just fine