Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: GENESIS Tour Dates- The Last Domino Tour 2020

^Fully agree. I've seen footage of him and his son playing that song before and thought it would have been a real highlight of these shows. A very underrated song.

And saying 'it's so sad for artists to humiliate themselves like this, they just cant let go', whilst having a track record of gushing about the current incarnation of Yes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Interesting how we see this in different ways.

I see the clip as an aging entertainer riding the waves of happiness with his son by his side. If the sole purpose of those shows was so he could share moments with his son on stage -- mission accomplished and we should all be so fortunate. Way to go, Phil!
    If this tour was a simple farewell gesture, then great. However this tour is going to be a huge arena hosted monster with gigantic cost, and gigantic cost per ticket. No this man is squeezing the money tree for every dollar and it’s not that I don’t accept capitalism, but this will be like paying a Cadillac price for a Yugo. BTW what happened to Simon Collins the other son?

^Well, you could, you know, not go? I'm not!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^Fully agree. I've seen footage of him and his son playing that song before and thought it would have been a real highlight of these shows. A very underrated song.

And saying 'it's so sad for artists to humiliate themselves like this, they just cant let go', whilst having a track record of gushing about the current incarnation of Yes.
    There is really no comparison. All members of Yes can perform perfectly - apart from Alan White of course but they have Jay Schellan.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^Well, you could, you know, not go? I'm not!
    To some extent, I enjoyed watching parts of the Disc from the 2007 tour and didn't go then.

FWIW I thought the 2007 tour was a good place to end things. It was a great set-list and was very successful, restoring their commercial status after the ignonimious way the Wilson era ended. But there's an audience for more, clearly, even if I'm not part of it personally.

Whether this tour will happen or not in the current climate is possibly moot, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I see the clip as an aging entertainer riding the waves of happiness with his son by his side. If the sole purpose of those shows was so he could share moments with his son on stage -- mission accomplished and we should all be so fortunate. Way to go, Phil!

When things get back to normal and concerts are a thing again, they'll play their shows and if they can fill a stadium at high prices like many bands do on that level then more power to them. Will it be the same as it was before? No it can't be unfortunately. I'm really glad I had the chance to see them when Phil could really do his thing behind the kit.

However, I must say, I'm glad they're doing this for their fans and for themselves. It's a huge effort and even more challenging to do at their age (as it is for other bands of this age... but even more if it's a band that hasn't been touring together in a long time). He doesn't want to sit around and do nothing. Retirement can be boring. This way Phil gets to be back with his third wife and kids and do something with one of his younger sons, Nik, who happens to be really into drumming. Nik never had to chance to see that world like his older brother Simon did back in the day. He was given a killer job and he's done quite well for someone his age. Personally I'd love to see both Nik and Simon get to play together with Genesis but then I'd also like to see Steve Hackett invited on stage too and all kinds of things happen. But, it will be whatever it will be and either way I'm happy to see it.

I'm also helping Tony Banks with his keyboard sounds this time as he's finally incorporating a computer in his rig running Mainstage. Last time in 2007 he was almost going to use my sounds on a racked computer but it wasn't reliable enough then or too much latency for the processors at that time. He ended up using the sounds from the CAS tour instead. This time there should be at least a little more of the vintage sounds and lush strings from the sounds I set him up with. However, as much as I've tried to convince him to use ALL the vintage sounds he used to use (like Mellotron choirs) he's said he's just not as into that as we all are. He likes what he likes so it's kind of hit and miss. Separate subject though. But, I'm also looking forward to seeing how that part ends up sounding. Plus I get to hang out for rehearsals which is always fun. Or that WAS the plan!!! Now? Who knows? Everything is so up in the air.
    Last edited by Squids; 05-24-2020 at 12:46 AM.

^ Thanks for the post, Dave!

That's interesting about Tony not being as into all the vintage sounds. It makes sense to me, considering he lived through that time as a musician having to play a lot of those instruments (like the Mellotron). He may not have an emotional attachment to the sounds the way that a lot of us do.

If you do get to hang out for the rehearsals, please share your experiences if you feel inclined to.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    ^ Thanks for the post, Dave!

That's interesting about Tony not being as into all the vintage sounds. It makes sense to me, considering he lived through that time as a musician having to play a lot of those instruments (like the Mellotron). He may not have an emotional attachment to the sounds the way that a lot of us do.

If you do get to hang out for the rehearsals, please share your experiences if you feel inclined to.
    I shared a lot last time and they seemed fine with it. This time it might be a bit more sensitive because, as you can see, people are that much more judgmental about the situation. I wouldn't want to post something and anyone criticize that Phil is sitting for example. I mean, last time I shared some rehearsal vids he was sitting behind the kit doing this:

It's not gonna be like that anymore as we know. But, it'll still be cool. I love these guys. I'm sure I'd capture something on video that I could share eventually. However, it's all up in the air now. I have no idea when rehearsals will be or where at this point. The tour hasn't been canceled or postponed but generally speaking a lot of shows are for this year. I'm kicking myself for not making it to New York for those first rehearsals. The timing was just super tricky. Basically they were supposed to be still rehearsing after NAMM and I was going to head over until there was the possibility of them ending earlier than expected and if that happened I would have flown to New York for nothing. Then, they ended up still rehearsing for that time so had I gone I would in fact have been able to hang and see it. Such a bummer. Tony was going to give me his solo box set in person which was a really nice cool thing I had to miss. But, he did take a picture of it during rehearsals and they emailed me that and sent the box set to me (which is awesome by the way. I never had Strictly, Inc on CD before). I posted the pic on Facebook a few months ago but couldn't seem to find it or I could post it. Apparently it said "New Duchess" on the screen behind him. Doesn't mean they're definitely playing that song but it's a good possibility. That's an example of something I'd have to be careful with depending on when I post something. Before they play there are potential spoilers. After they play much less so.

By the way, this is where I would normally be sitting when watching rehearsals like this. But, this was when I met Simon Collins for the first time in 2006 and when he said "Hey let's go watch my Dad" it was like a free pass to stand right next to Phil while he was drumming. That's something I'd never imagine doing. So, I have to thank Simon forever for that experience. The video doesn't really capture just how incredible it was to see it and hear it. Phil and Chester right off the sound of the acoustic kits... super powerful! I'll never forget it.

Before that it was this view which was still amazing.

Thanks for sharing this behind the scenes information, and kudos for promoting the vintage sounds, whatever the final outcome is.
    If they finally can do this tour, if it pleases them, if it pleases Phil to perform in his current condition, I'm glad for them.
    I too think the 2007 concerts could have been a fitting swansong, with the whole band in good form and a fine setlist IMO, but it's up to the band to decide what their swansong should look and sound like.
    Last edited by Interstellar; 05-24-2020 at 08:39 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Dave for sharing those videos. I have no expectations about seeing Phil behind the drum kit, so if it happens at all, then super. Based on some recent video I’ve seen (and not these), I was wondering if Phil’s vocals are hanging in there. No response is OK too. As Phil said, Genesis has all ways been at the top of the production game when it comes to putting on live shows, starting back in the 70s with innovative lighting and sound. Do you think Martin Audio will be involved with their stage sound?

Banned
    The video of Phil behind the kit in 2006 was fantastic because I could really hear him as compared to the videos from the tour which are mix the two drummers together. I am a left handed drummer myself, although my experience was as a teenager 50 years or more ago, and I just feel awed and inspired by seeing him. As for the vocals in the 2006 video as compared to the video I saw of Phil just getting to rehearsals for the first time or so, I hear a great deal of progression after practice. That gives me the confidence that he will be back strong.

Wow, Squids, I'm gobsmacked by your posts and by the fact that I get to be even a virtual, second-hand fly on the wall for proceedings like this. I can only imagine what a thrill it must have been for you. It's your own personal body of work that has put you in this position, so kudos for that as well. Thanks so much for sharing, and thanks to PE for being!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Wow, Squids, I'm gobsmacked by your posts and by the fact that I get to be even a virtual, second-hand fly on the wall for proceedings like this. I can only imagine what a thrill it must have been for you. It's your own personal body of work that has put you in this position, so kudos for that as well. Thanks so much for sharing, and thanks to PE for being!
    Thanks guys. I'm a fellow Genesis fan so I do like to share what I can from that perspective. I posted a tour of their studio too awhile back if you search. I've recorded there a bunch of times. All totally amazing unforgettable experiences. I sampled most of Tony Banks' keyboards and even Mike's doubleneck guitar/basses. Plus, I got to record drums in the stone room with both Hugh Padgham and Nick Davis (all the other samples I mentioned are being released this year as a part of an as of yet unreleased Sonic Reality sample library called Nick Davis Farm Sessions btw... and some of those sounds I'll be giving to Tony in hopes that he'll use say an Arp Quadra sample instead of his Proteus for In The Case haha... if he does it. I actually don't know the true set list yet).

Anyway, I can share but I have to be professional and respectful to them. So, for example, here's the picture Geoff, Tony's tech, sent me which replaced him handing me the box set in person. Very nice of him to do the photo and he's even smiling! But, when I got the photo the announcement hadn't yet been made that they were doing the tour. So, when I said "Can I post this?" the answer was "Hmmm. You better wait until the tour is officially announced". I imagine if I shot any videos of rehearsals revealing what songs they're playing etc. I would have to be concerned with that and maybe some other things this time around that could be sensitive. I always WANT to but have to use discretion as you might expect. Anyway, I found the pic. Here it is! Cool huh? Would have been cooler in person though. Geoff actually told me Tony was a little bummed that I couldn't make it there. When I heard that I said "Are you SERIOUS??? I'll fly up right now!" and it was their last day rehearsing or the weekend of. Then Geoff said (famous last words) "Nah don't worry about it. We'll see you in April". Then... the pandemic. FFFffffffffuuuuuu.... Oh well. Love this Tony Banks box set though!

tonybanksboxforkerzner.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    I never had Strictly, Inc on CD before
    I bought that the day it came out. Me and six other people!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I had it on vinyl when it was released new, but after the great vinyl album collection water damage event, I never got around to replacing it and moved on to cds.
    But now I've slowly been rebuilding my vinyl collection, maybe if I can find a mint copy.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    That's incredible Squids. You're a lucky and privileged man!!
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 05-24-2020 at 12:06 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I had it on vinyl when it was released new, but after the great vinyl album collection water damage event, I never got around to replacing it and moved on to cds.
    But now I've slowly been rebuilding my vinyl collection, maybe if I can find a mint copy.
    Wow, that was released on vinyl? I've never seen that anywhere, I had no idea!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Wow, that was released on vinyl? I've never seen that anywhere, I had no idea!
    I trust your memory better than my own Progatron, it could very well I've confused it with another release.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I trust your memory better than my own Progatron, it could very well I've confused it with another release.
    Oh it could have been, I've just never seen it! Would be a rare find for sure.

Oh it could have been, I've just never seen it! Would be a rare find for sure.
    I just checked Disogs and it wasn't released on vinyl, and also once I saw the cover I knew that wasn't the one I had.
    It was The Fugitive I was thinking about..
    thanks for the info, I honestly don't ever want to post something that's not right.

lol I was 1 of those 6!!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    lol I was 1 of those 6!!
    We now have 50% of sales right here.