Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: GENESIS Tour Dates- The Last Domino Tour 2020

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Yes never had a 6 LP run
    Speak for yourself. Yes through Going for the One is a pretty solid 8 album run if you ask me.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Speak for yourself. Yes through Going for the One is a pretty solid 8 album run if you ask me.
    Boy I would agree... more than solid minus Tales... the one hiccup to me and thats why I omitted them. Having said that it's all about individual taste and I know Tales has it lovers and haters.... nothing else really in that run though, just brilliant! I have tried and tried on that LP (Tales) but just can't get it. The YES album, Close, Relayer and Going are perfection.
    Last edited by rich; 03-15-2020 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Yes never had a 6 LP run but Rush had 8 LPs: 2112 to Power Windows. I agree with Nursery Crime through Wind & Wuthering.
    LOL see my previous posts... at least to these ears Rush is not even in the conversation! Just never liked or "got" them... don't get me wrong Neil is a beast on drums as is Getty on bass... just never resonated with me... Alex is just another good guitar player. I know i'm in the major minority here... with my love for Yes you would think I'd get Rush... maybe on some level I just Love Jon's voice and always found something grating in Getty's... just me I'm sure.

I would say Yes, Rush & Genesis all had great long runs but Rush lasted 10 years longer than the other two who lost their way after 1980.
    For me:

Yes: The Yes Album to Drama
    Genesis: Nursery Cryme to Duke
    Rush: Fly By Night to Presto.
    Last edited by Steve983; 03-15-2020 at 05:01 AM.

It was only a matter of time before a Genesis and Yes discussion became one.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Shameless plug. Made this video today. Hope you all enjoy. Long live the Collins! - Kyle

Phil Collins: A 6 Minute Drum Chronology
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI1c...tYEGdmqph9HPpU

Quote Originally Posted by pianomankd View Post
    Shameless plug. Made this video today. Hope you all enjoy. Long live the Collins! - Kyle

I enjoyed that... thanks!... and I agree Long Live PHIL! He sure gave my life many memories.

Anyone beside me lucky enough to have seen him with Brand X? What a band that was!

Quote Originally Posted by pianomankd View Post

That was fun! Thanks for sharing that. Can't believe you skipped over that drumfest in his 1985 smash "Separate Lives"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    That was fun! Thanks for sharing that. Can't believe you skipped over that drumfest in his 1985 smash "Separate Lives"
    I originally had that and Easy Lover in there. When I went to upload the video, Youtube copyright DESTROYED everything because of those two songs. Philip Bailey apparently has a strong copyright on Easy Lover. I was forced to cut those two out if the video was to remain live...

Thanks everyone for your kind words!

Good new interview, the guy asks some questions you don't usually hear.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is Covfefe-19 affecting tour dates?

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Good new interview, the guy asks some questions you don't usually hear.

That’s a fantastic interview, thanks. I missed it on Planet Rock.

They still come across as extremely pleasant people, and there was the usual humorous banter between the three of them, and, as you say, some interesting questions.

I would like to go. I would like to see how Collins Junior copes with the drums.

However......... I have to say that Phil sounded, well, weak, old, frail, call it what you will. Has he got the chops for a 2+ hour show on tour. Can anybody persuade me to spend a lot of money on a band, and lineup, I love?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is Covfefe-19 affecting tour dates?
    Not yet, as far as I am aware. All shows in the UK up to Glastonbury in summer are off. Everybody is hoping that Autumn will bring a return to some semblance of normality.

Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post

However......... I have to say that Phil sounded, well, weak, old, frail, call it what you will.
    He does, I agree. He talks so much slower, the youthful energy is gone, it seems. Although he was quick to give a "No" answer (without elaborating) when asked if Chester was playing.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I enjoyed listening to the interview. Appreciate the posting. The most curious part for me was listening to Tony Banks talk about a possible setlist. He says some fans wouldn't want to hear Supper's Ready? Really? They haven't played that song live in full since the Abacab tour. Carve out 20 plus minutes for that and you've still got an hour and a half to play the shorter songs!

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    I enjoyed listening to the interview. Appreciate the posting. The most curious part for me was listening to Tony Banks talk about a possible setlist. He says some fans wouldn't want to hear Supper's Ready? Really? They haven't played that song live in full since the Abacab tour. Carve out 20 plus minutes for that and you've still got an hour and a half to play the shorter songs!
    Well, he's right though. There will be plenty of people going to see the show that won't even know what Supper's Ready is, much less find it enjoyable to sit through a strange, ancient piece of music that is five times longer than all of the radio hits they loved in their youth. You and I wouldn't be those people, but they will be there in droves.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    The problem is, I think analogous to something Joe Elliott said once, when explaining why Def Leppard never plays anything off their first album. He said they played Wasted or Hello America or whatever, you'd have a couple hundred people in the crowd going "YEAH!" and 15,000 or more people going "What the hell is THIS?!". I think that's what it comes down to. Genesis knows the majority of the people who will pack any given 20,000-100,000 seat venue they might play have no knowledge of or interest in their 70's era stuff. Most of them don't even know Peter Gabriel was ever in the band, or that they made two albums before Phil Collins joined. They just wanna hear the hits from the 80's. Or at least, that's their perception of the situation. And they're not gonna set aside 22 minutes of the set to please a couple hundred people a night who might like to hear Supper's Ready, or any of the other extended pieces.

Oh, and it was Three Sides Live tour where they were did Supper's Ready, not Abacab, and one suspects the main reason they were doing it was because they were working it up for the Six Of The Best concert at Milton Keynes, which followed the tour. It's interesting to note that when they did Supper's Ready on that tour, they immediately followed it with Misunderstanding.

And here I was, thinking I had already explained that. Live and learn!

And here I was, thinking I had already explained that. Live and learn!
    Sorry, didn't see your post.

Well, he's right though. There will be plenty of people going to see the show that won't even know what Supper's Ready is, much less find it enjoyable to sit through a strange, ancient piece of music that is five times longer than all of the radio hits they loved in their youth. You and I wouldn't be those people, but they will be there in droves.
    Yes, the more I think about it, that must be true, given the bands meteoric rise in popularity during the middle 1980's. I wonder if they will do a section of it. During the Invisible Touch leg I caught they did a section of Supper's Ready towards the end of the set. I do recall now that I think back to the show a quieter fan response! Funny thing, memory! It's all there but reaching it can be a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The problem is, I think analogous to something Joe Elliott said once, when explaining why Def Leppard never plays anything off their first album. He said they played Wasted or Hello America or whatever, you'd have a couple hundred people in the crowd going "YEAH!" and 15,000 or more people going "What the hell is THIS?!". I think that's what it comes down to. Genesis knows the majority of the people who will pack any given 20,000-100,000 seat venue they might play have no knowledge of or interest in their 70's era stuff. Most of them don't even know Peter Gabriel was ever in the band, or that they made two albums before Phil Collins joined. They just wanna hear the hits from the 80's. Or at least, that's their perception of the situation. And they're not gonna set aside 22 minutes of the set to please a couple hundred people a night who might like to hear Supper's Ready, or any of the other extended pieces.

Oh, and it was Three Sides Live tour where they were did Supper's Ready, not Abacab, and one suspects the main reason they were doing it was because they were working it up for the Six Of The Best concert at Milton Keynes, which followed the tour. It's interesting to note that when they did Supper's Ready on that tour, they immediately followed it with Misunderstanding.
    You're correct! I've had it in my brain for the past 38 years I saw the Abacab tour when it was in fact the Three Sides Live tour! They played three consecutive nights at the Greek in Berkeley. In hindsight I should have purchased tix for a second show but as I was in high school cash was short. The paper route paid terrible, even for a 16 year old by 1982 standards.

When I look at those gigs on setlist.fm they followed Supper's Ready with Misunderstanding, Man on the Corner and Who Dunnit?

Covfefe-19 Best band name ever!

It's no secret this version of Genesis(Mike, Phil and Tony) are a completely different version than the Peter Gabriel era Genesis.
    They are going to focus on a setlist that highlights the music THIS Genesis wrote together, with bits of the other one thrown in.
    The fanbase is different as well. I would suggest 1/3 or more are crossover fans who were first Phil Collins fans from his solo work, who later attended Genesis shows or bought their albums based on Phil doing the vocals.

The idea that this version would perform something like Supper's REady for the diehard fans is simply not going to happen.

I love these guys and have enjoyed both versions of Genesis, and on any music night at our house we could be listening to Nursery Crimes or Abacab..I enjoy all of it.
    But they aren't going to pull out their artsy songs from the past and I hope no one buys tickets thinking that will be the case.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    But they aren't going to pull out their artsy songs from the past and I hope no one buys tickets thinking that will be the case.
    They've never done a tour without doing so, so they will. Just probably not that one.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    They've never done a tour without doing so, so they will. Just probably not that one.
    I've seen every tour starting at Selling England with Peter and I don't know if our opinion of what is artsy differs or not, and I don't include medleys in my comment.