Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: GENESIS Tour Dates- The Last Domino Tour 2020

I think Phil said it best: "I don't care any mo-o-o-o-o-o-o !"

Banned
    Got my seats for Hackett Genesis Revisited: Selling England By the Pound + Spectral Mornings on Friday, the real Genesis revisit, not the one that should be called “Selling Genesis by the MegaPound”

As to Phil's mobility issues, maybe he will be strapped into a chair at the end of a back-stage crane arm so they can fly him around the stage and out over the audience. No weirder than PG's stage antics in the 90's. 😉

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    OK, but you're not paying for music. You're paying for an emotional trigger.
    Speak for yourself. I'll be paying to see my favorite band on stage, for the first (and probably only) time ever.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    But let's not confuse nostalgia with any definition of "progressive."
    Was anybody here doing that?
    Last edited by aith01; 03-04-2020 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I agree with you completely, everyone will have their own opinion on it, and we respect other people's view.
    I just don't respect throwing the F bomb out there to let us know you don't care.
    But then how else will we know just how righteously incensed they are over this situation? I mean, how dare the Genesis guys decide to perform together again, playing their music to the fans who want to hear it? The nerve!

I'm with you, btw. But history has taught me to be prepared for such an event, and it's unfolding exactly as we expected.

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    As to Phil's mobility issues, maybe he will be strapped into a chair at the end of a back-stage crane arm so they can fly him around the stage and out over the audience. No weirder than PG's stage antics in the 90's. 😉
    My idea was that he could be strapped in a chair that would rise and fall for different songs. Mid tempo = mid chair height. Yours is much better. If Rick Allen could do it, why can't Phil Collins?

Pompous finger-wagging lectures telling us what bands we should and shouldn't be listening to is getting to be a real drag on here. It's hardly converting people, it's having the opposite effect. And I'm not even going to any of these shows.

Banned

GENESIS Tour Dates- The Last Domino Tour 2020

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    As to Phil's mobility issues, maybe he will be strapped into a chair at the end of a back-stage crane arm so they can fly him around the stage and out over the audience. No weirder than PG's stage antics in the 90's. [emoji6]
    Never compete with Keith Emerson flying a keyboard over the stage

https://youtu.be/uSm5IQFaTZA

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Pompous finger-wagging lectures telling us what bands we should and shouldn't be listening to is getting to be a real drag on here. It's hardly converting people, it's having the opposite effect. And I'm not even going to any of these shows.
    It is getting a bit ridiculous, but fortunately (for me at least) those people are not diminishing my excitement.

I still respect the opinion of anyone who has no interest in this reunion -- aside from the "money grab" accusations and bizarre "nostalgia vs progressive" (Genesis vs Big Big Train) strawman arguments of course.

Well, the "Steve Hackett is the real Genesis" narrative is getting a bit stale too.

But of course others will pop up and say a band Big Big Train aren't what you 'should' be listening to either as they aren't progressive enough. It could go on forever, this. It's all so pointless.

Collins really sounded rough in that Radio 2 interview this morning, which he put down to sickness. I hope he's a lot better later in the year.

But of course others will pop up and say a band Big Big Train aren't what you 'should' be listening to either as they aren't progressive enough. It could go on forever, this. It's all so pointless.
    100% agreed.

Collins really sounded rough in that Radio 2 interview this morning, which he put down to sickness. I hope he's a lot better later in the year.
    Yeah, me too. It is cold and flu season, so hopefully he was just under the weather a bit.

I would love to see 95% of you bashers in this thread try and perform a show anywhere NEAR the 2020 era of Genesis. This thread is laughable.

I remember similar cynicism in 2006...to be honest I shared it, because the talk the year before had been that Gabriel/Hackett would be involved. And the trio seemed like the safer option at that time. But that eventual 2007 tour turned out to be (IMHO) great with a balanced set-list. It restored their reputation which took a hit with the way the Wilson-era band fizzled out. I think my only concern now is all to do with Collins' match fitness.

Incidentally it's a pity When In Rome went out of print and never got a Blu-ray release at all. As far as I remember the DVD was a strong seller on release. It seemed to be one of many casualties of what happened with EMI in the last decade.

As I stated yesterday on the speculation thread, NO THANKS! Without Gabriel and Hackett I see a repeat of the 2007 tour where the uninspired weak medleys of the old prog material to me was a travesty of disrespect. More older material? I highly doubt that full length versions of songs from the Gabriel-Hackett days will be performed. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not optimistic. But there's no way in hell that I'll spend money to fly from Los Angeles to the UK for this. Now if Peter and Steve where there, I'd sell my car to make it happen! Till my dying day I will never understand why Peter, Phil, Tony and Mike seem have so much negativity for the songs from the prog-Genesis, with mind-sets that the early songs are some sort of youthful, immature rubbish. Not most, but I'm confident that the majority of true progs fans realize the art of the early band as priceless gems. Look what Steve has done with Genesis Revisited. Still proof that fans embrace the art of the early band. My mind is confident that what was true art morphed into pop brain-fart, with the emphasis on egos and getting super rich from simple music minded fans. Oh well, I hope they have fun, really. I hope that Peter and Steve will show for a least one show that I would call "For Absent Friends." And again I chant, "And Now There Are None."
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    Snap!

Personally, I also don't want to tarnish the memories of the 2007 shows - centre seat, ten rows from the front in Manchester and then the Rome Circus Maximus gig.

Furthermore, with all due respect to his phenomenal past, Collins is Crocked. And the idea of 20,000 pissed (and coked up) Radio2 listeners cheering for 'I can't dance' and trying to sing Carpet Crawlers chills me to bone.
    Me too, a horrible thought....

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by pianomankd View Post
    I would love to see 95% of you bashers in this thread try and perform a show anywhere NEAR the 2020 era of Genesis. This thread is laughable.
    also a strawman argument.

Lets combine straws and ask if Big Bug Train could perform a Genesis set as well as the 2020 trio [emoji849] coz too many straws are ruining the environment.

To paraphrase Martin Popoff - the professors will be onstage "ripping" thru such barnburners as No Son of Mine and Mama while in my (and others likely) dope-addled brains we'll be "hearing" One for The Vine and The Knife.

All the best and success to them. And to those who've never seen em, I hope its all you wanted.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post

To paraphrase Martin Popoff - the professors will be onstage "ripping" thru such barnburners as No Son of Mine and Mama while in my (and others likely) dope-addled brains we'll be "hearing" One for The Vine and The Knife.
    Cool! Stay home then! I promise you that no one in the audience will be looking for you.

People writing whole essays concerning something they allegedly 'don't care' about is a very strange thing to do.

Might as well ask here:
    What was the supposed "fall-out" between Phil and Chester anyway?

People writing whole essays concerning something they allegedly 'don't care' about is a very strange thing to do.

For real. Seems like a waste of time and energy.

I think it's because the music of the early Genesis continues to be a denial to fans by Phil, Tony and Mike. Even Robert Fripp finally, after years, brought early King Crimson songs back to life, and made millions of KC fans very happy. The fact that we will never see Genesis again with Peter and Steve is painful, like the realization that The Beatles could never reform after the murder of John Lennon. Genesis Revisited is the next best thing, but it's still not the "magic" 5.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

But of course others will pop up and say a band Big Big Train aren't what you 'should' be listening to either as they aren't progressive enough.
    Since this apparently will happen according to your certainty, could you please point to a single thread in which anyone told anybody else that they "shouldn't" be listening to something because the given artist isn't "progressive enough"?

Or is this perhaps rather some kind of interpretation of underlying motive in some participants' tendency to abstain from discussing the same grouping of obvious names (plus a couple of hundreds attempting to duplicate those) and topics over and over and over yet again?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Bore off. You don't have to read these threads.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    I think it's because the music of the early Genesis continues to be a denial to fans by Phil, Tony and Mike. Even Robert Fripp finally, after years, brought early King Crimson songs back to life, and made millions of KC fans very happy. The fact that we will never see Genesis again with Peter and Steve is painful, like the realization that The Beatles could never reform after the murder of John Lennon. Genesis Revisited is the next best thing, but it's still not the "magic" 5.
    It's not happening. Move on.

As I stated yesterday on the speculation thread, NO THANKS! Without Gabriel and Hackett I see a repeat of the 2007 tour where the uninspired weak medleys of the old prog material to me was a travesty of disrespect. More older material? I highly doubt that full length versions of songs from the Gabriel-Hackett days will be performed. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not optimistic. But there's no way in hell that I'll spend money to fly from Los Angeles to the UK for this. Now if Peter and Steve where there, I'd sell my car to make it happen! Till my dying day I will never understand why Peter, Phil, Tony and Mike seem have so much negativity for the songs from the prog-Genesis, with mind-sets that the early songs are some sort of youthful, immature rubbish. Not most, but I'm confident that the majority of true progs fans realize the art of the early band as priceless gems. Look what Steve has done with Genesis Revisited. Still proof that fans embrace the art of the early band. My mind is confident that what was true art morphed into pop brain-fart, with the emphasis on egos and getting super rich from simple music minded fans. Oh well, I hope they have fun, really. I hope that Peter and Steve will show for a least one show that I would call "For Absent Friends." And again I chant, "And Now There Are None."
    Here are the bullet points for anyone who doesn't feel like reading those rants:

- He's really mad.
    - The band (except Steve) don't like their early music, and they 'deny' the fans their unassailable right to hear it.
    - He speaks for the "majority of true prog(s) fans".
    - The trio are egotistical and achieved their goal of becoming super rich from simple-minded fans (like a lot of us here).
    - King Crimson has millions of fans.
    - It's a source of pain that the five-man lineup will never play for him again (Welcome to 1977).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    After all this infighting amongst us PE members on this subject matter, there is clearly only one solution:

"There's no-one left alive - must be a draw."
    So the Blackcap Barons toss a coin to settle the score..