Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: GENESIS Tour Dates- The Last Domino Tour 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Let's wait and see how they sound and look before jumping to conclusions, ok?
    Ummm this is PE - prejudging and then bitching and moaning about everything that will be wrong with it based on zero actual information is what we're here for .

Good point. Enough with the excessive cynicism!

Well, as I said back in 2007, more power to them and I hope they and the fans enjoy it. Also like 2007, I won't be going. That wouldn't change even if they were doing a 5 man reunion (though in that case I might want to at least see some you YouTube videos or possibly get the DVD/Blue Ray/live recording).

I think it's great though that they feel they are up to this, especially Collins. I think it's great for the people that want to see this. Not for me though.

Banned
    The later Genesis is not my thing at all but I wish them luck. It would have been wonderful to make it a larger Genesis "family affair" for the last run with Peter, Steve, and even Ant participating in a full retrospective. Throw in Chester and Bill on dueling drum sets. Alas I guess that was always a pipe dream. Maybe there will be some surprise guests. Would be a fitting idea for a final show anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Ummm this is PE - prejudging and then bitching and moaning about everything that will be wrong with it based on zero actual information is what we're here for .
    Exactly! The bitching has already started & gives that warm fuzzy feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    The later Genesis is not my thing at all but I wish them luck. It would have been wonderful to make it a larger Genesis "family affair" for the last run with Peter, Steve, and even Ant participating in a full retrospective. Throw in Chester and Bill on dueling drum sets. Alas I guess that was always a pipe dream. Maybe there will be some surprise guests. Would be a fitting idea for a final show anyway.
    Welcome back my friend.
    At this point, I don't know if I'd even want to see a full band reunion with past and present members. Too much water under the dam I guess.
    But it would be nice if former members could stop by and perform a song or two, even if it's one of them at a show coming on stage.
    I think Hackett is so busy with his own tour, it's unlikely their paths will cross, and I think he may feel slighted that none of them have ever attended one of his shows.(that I know of).
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I was critical of this idea when I first heard it, but I think Genesis members are smart enough to know whether they will suck or not, and Mike and Tony have been hesitant at any suggestion of doing anything like this because of Phil's health. So I don't think they'd go forward if there is even a remote chance they'll suck.
    I'm quite skeptical myself but you have a definite point here. The 2007 far exceeded the expectations I had at the time. They did not suck nearly as much as everyone thought they would and Phil permanently damaged his back by playing drums to the standards that were required for Genesis, which is saying something of his and the band's implication.

So yes, one can have reasonable doubts considering Phil has to sit down during the whole of a gig, can't play drums and reportedly doesn't sing all that well. But it's absolutely clear that these guys do not have a habit of playing badly and not caring.

So the question is: can we trust their judgement on this? A wait and see policy is definitely warranted.

I also have very interest in this but am glad it is happening. For each of us that sit this out, there probably are dozens/hundreds who will stand in line to buy the first tickets.

I find the choice of an all Stadium tour for a band that has been defunct for 13 years to be odd, I mean 20,000 seat concert halls aren't big enough? I'm not sure they'd fill those let alone a Stadium.

^It is not an 'all-stadium tour', it's an arena tour! I'm not sure how you can miss that it's an arena tour given the names of these venues!

Not a great fan of their later work, but this tour isn't for someone like me anyway. Hope it goes well for them though.

A wait and see policy is definitely warranted.
    If we wait and see it'll be already too late to get tickets.

I'd definitely love to see some footage as an indicator of what this might sound like, but I don't it's likely we're going to get anything like that before tickets go on sale (or before the tour actually starts), so how do we know what we're shelling out for?

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    It would have been wonderful to make it a larger Genesis "family affair" for the last run with Peter, Steve, and even Ant participating in a full retrospective. Throw in Chester and Bill on dueling drum sets. Alas I guess that was always a pipe dream. Maybe there will be some surprise guests. Would be a fitting idea for a final show anyway.
    I think people tend to overlook how difficult and much more complicated it would be to include those others (I don't mean you specifically, Buddhabreath, I'm just referring to general comments I see here and elsewhere). The three-man lineup, whether people like their music or not, is a proper functioning unit that understands each other, works well together and has three personalities that mesh easily. And they won't be required - at 70 - to relearn ancient material and operate in a less cozy band dynamic by involving the others. There are a ton of factors to consider - it isn't as simple as tacking on another former member like PG - from 45 years ago, with his own opinions on how every aspect of the tour should function. And if he's not there, Hackett's not there either, as timeline-wise they would still have to stick to the 70s, but without PG (no way would Collins and Rutherford want that). Ant hasn't played live for an audience in 50 years. Chester allegedly had a falling out with Phil. Bill is retired and recently declined an invitation to join Crimson for an encore, even though he was already at the show. At this stage of their career and their lives, I don't think the trio would opt for a tour that is more work and less fun for them.

Welcome back my friend.
    I think Hackett is so busy with his own tour, it's unlikely their paths will cross, and I think he may feel slighted that none of them have ever attended one of his shows.(that I know of).
    I don't know if you only mean his Genesis revisited shows, but Banks has certainly attended Hackett solo shows in the past, and PG & MR joined him onstage once. Not sure if Collins has ever attended one.

My take on it is the same as it was in 2007: I love the guys, but it's not for me. However if it makes people happy, more power to everyone involved - it doesn't negatively affect my life in any way. I've seen them live - I'm happy to give up my seat to let a newer or younger fan get their chance. And if there's a live release of some kind, I'll buy it. I think that's a pretty fair deal.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I won't be one to complain about them doing this tour and I also don't think it's a cash grab necessarily. I think it's a chance for life-long friends to tour again, and for Phil to spend some more professional time with his son on drums. That's all cool. It's not a tour I'd be interested in seeing based what tickets will likely cost.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Pretty cool ….. wedding comment made me chuckle. It will be interesting to see if there are any US dates forthcoming.

Tony says they are going to be doing "new old material." I take that to mean pre-pop Genesis deep cuts, in other words.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I think people tend to overlook how difficult and much more complicated it would be to include those others. The three-man lineup, whether people like their music or not, is a proper functioning unit that understands each other, works well together and has three personalities that mesh easily. And they won't be required - at 70 - to relearn ancient material and operate in a less cozy band dynamic by involving the others. There are a ton of factors to consider - it isn't as simple as tacking on another former member like PG - from 45 years ago(!!!), with his own opinions on how every aspect of the tour should function...
    ^^^This. In spades.
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

I think people tend to overlook how difficult and much more complicated it would be to include those others (I don't mean you specifically, Buddhabreath, I'm just referring to general comments I see here and elsewhere). The three-man lineup, whether people like their music or not, is a proper functioning unit that understands each other, works well together and has three personalities that mesh easily. And they won't be required - at 70 - to relearn ancient material and operate in a less cozy band dynamic by involving the others. There are a ton of factors to consider - it isn't as simple as tacking on another former member like PG - from 45 years ago, with his own opinions on how every aspect of the tour should function. And if he's not there, Hackett's not there either, as timeline-wise they would still have to stick to the 70s, but without PG (no way would Collins and Rutherford want that). Ant hasn't played live for an audience in 50 years. Chester allegedly had a falling out with Phil. Bill is retired and recently declined an invitation to join Crimson for an encore, even though he was already at the show. At this stage of their career and their lives, I don't think the trio would opt for a tour that is more work and less fun for them.

I don't know if you only mean his Genesis revisited shows, but Banks has certainly attended Hackett solo shows in the past, and PG & MR joined him onstage once. Not sure if Collins has ever attended one.

My take on it is the same as it was in 2007: I love the guys, but it's not for me. However if it makes people happy, more power to everyone involved - it doesn't negatively affect my life in any way. I've seen them live - I'm happy to give up my seat to let a newer or younger fan get their chance. And if there's a live release of some kind, I'll buy it. I think that's a pretty fair deal.
    Great insight and comments, thank you.

I was referring to Steve's Genesis Revisited shows, right from the first one and album release to the present.
    Both Mike and Tony have been less than supportive and in interviews from both of them, they aren't mean when speaking of Steve's performing Genesis material, but their responses have been rather cold and distant.
    I don't have any direct quotes I can reference, but I know I've read them in interviews.

I doubt I would go to a show even if they become available. I have come to the point where if we go to a concert, we prefer a small intimate venue, like the Capitol Theater in Clearwater, Florida where we've seen Steve on his Wolflight tour and Jon Anderson last year.
    But if they sound good and Phil is in good singing voice with energy, I'd be more than happy to buy a DVD. I still enjoy Live in Rome, and we were at their reunion show in Pontiac, Michigan.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    People, in my view, can express any opinion about the tour whether or not you agree with them. For example, I don't take offence to the cash grab accusation, I just don't agree with it. If there are indeed deep cuts I'd buy a DVD but wouldn't again sit through a show with music I generally don't like and would cost a lot to see..
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Yes, why all the negativity? If you don't want to go, don't go. I just wish I could see them here in the States.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    People, in my view, can express any opinion about the tour whether or not you agree with them. For example, I don't take offence to the cash grab accusation, I just don't agree with it. If there are indeed deep cuts I'd buy a DVD but wouldn't again sit through a show with music I generally don't like and would cost a lot to see..
    I agree with you completely, everyone will have their own opinion on it, and we respect other people's view.
    I just don't respect throwing the F bomb out there to let us know you don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    People can express their opinions, that's true. However, there's the old adage: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Sometimes I wish more people would adopt that mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by Yestor View Post
    Yes, why all the negativity? If you don't want to go, don't go. I just wish I could see them here in the States.
    I watch the 2007 Rome DVD a few times every year and think "yeah they still had it then." I'm sorry I didn't see that tour. Hopefully this goes well and they might hit the states in 2021. It would be worth a trip to Chicago or St. Louis.

Banned
    I think people tend to overlook how difficult and much more complicated it would be to include those others...
    I think you're exactly correct. I can still wish for a reunion in spirit on the last night with maybe Peter and Steve joining for a song or two. It would be a fitting gesture. I got nothing to lose by crossing my fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVander View Post
    An interesting read. What could Tony mean by this: "Nic is a great drummer, but he is capable of sounding like early Phil. For Mike and I, that was always quite exciting. It means you can play some of the songs that you haven't played with Phil as the drummer for a long time."

Huh? Was there anything they couldn't do with Chester on drums before? I find that hard to imagine.
    Read it again. He didn't say that there were songs they couldn't do before with Chester.

He said because Nic sounds like "early Phil", then "you can play some of the songs that you haven't played with Phil as the drummer for a long time."

Chester is a great drummer, but he doesn't sound like Phil Collins. He's got his own style.