Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 162

Thread: The Best Live Album?

  1. #76
    Digging through my CDs and having a riot doing so. How about Robin Trower Live (1975)? The voice of James Dewar...should have been bronzed for posterity.

    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

    Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

  2. #77
    Edgar Winter's White Trash "Roadwork" puts you right there.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  3. #78
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    2,702
    For a double live album with not all that many songs on it, the Doors' Absolutely Live was cobbled together from a surprising number of sources: a two-night stint at the Aquarius Theater in L.A., plus shows from New York, Detroit, Boston, Philly, and Pittsburgh. Come the 21st century, the band's Bright Midnight archival label issued full versions of all of these shows. And Live in Detroit in particular is a real stunner, making the official live album look like small potatoes indeed. An epic performance (which got the Doors banned from the Cobo Arena for willfully going way overtime), a crackling live atmosphere, tons of down and dirty blues and early rock 'n' roll covers, a guest appearance by John Sebastian, all culminating in a spooky, mesmerizing 17-minute version of "The End." Definitely has that "you are there" feel, and makes me wish I had been.
    New album THE HIPCRIME VOCAB available now!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

  4. #79
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    42°09′30″N 71°08′43″W
    Posts
    3,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Soft Machine - Alive & Well: Recorded in Paris 1977
    Especially the 2CD reissue.

  5. #80
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    4,022
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Digging through my CDs and having a riot doing so. How about Robin Trower Live (1975)? The voice of James Dewar...should have been bronzed for posterity.

    Always thought he deserved a double live album.
    Last edited by Trane; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:57 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  6. #81
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,080
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Two of those shows (San Diego '69 and Atlanta '70, which was a festival) are not very good, IMHO.
    Stockholm sounds nice but the mix is somewhat 'drums first'. Paris is not well recorded (there's a Zeppelin show from the following year in the same venue which is equally all-over-the-place). But 'Drivin' South' in that show is a knockout.

    I can't hear what's 'not very good' about the San Diego show. 'Red House', 'I Don't Live Today' and 'Voodoo Child' are scorching performances. The other one from that particular tour, LA Forum, is patchier- sounds like a very rowdy atmosphere. Having said that, Experience Hendrix should have done LA/San Diego as a 2cd set instead of that In The West hodgepodge they put out in the last decade.

    I agree that Isle Of Wight show is a very tough watch/listen. I only like the last number 'In From The Storm'. I don't remember much about Atlanta!
    Last edited by JJ88; 03-04-2020 at 04:47 AM.

  7. #82
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,080
    The Who's Live At Leeds was mentioned. I was lucky enough to find the original Polydor CD. The original six track album sounds quite different from the later expanded versions. ISTR the original album is more in keeping with the sound of a smaller venue. The expanded 2cd has the show in the incorrect order as well, which is frustrating.

  8. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Stockholm sounds nice but the mix is somewhat 'drums first'. Paris is not well recorded (there's a Zeppelin show from the following year in the same venue which is equally all-over-the-place). But 'Drivin' South' in that show is a knockout.

    I can't hear what's 'not very good' about the San Diego show. 'Red House', 'I Don't Live Today' and 'Voodoo Child' are scorching performances. The other one from that particular tour, LA Forum, is patchier- sounds like a very rowdy atmosphere. Having said that, Experience Hendrix should have done LA/San Diego as a 2cd set instead of that In The West hodgepodge they put out in the last decade.

    I agree that Isle Of Wight show is a very tough watch/listen. I only like the last number 'In From The Storm'. I don't remember much about Atlanta!
    Re: Stockholm and Paris, I don't care about the sound. All I care about are the performances.

    And, I was mistaken. I got myself mixed up between the San Diego show and the LA Forum.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  9. #84
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterloo, IA, USA
    Posts
    730
    Someone else brought up a Fillmore recording, and it reminded me of one of my faves, Aretha at Fillmore West. Raw, and I believe unretouched, with plenty of crowd vibe. Plus, the performances are en fuego.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

  10. #85
    Although recorded in various venues I love the live-atmosphere of Roxy Music's Viva!. There are several moments you hear the reactions of the crowd during the songs.

  11. #86
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    2,702
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Although recorded in various venues I love the live-atmosphere of Roxy Music's Viva!. There are several moments you hear the reactions of the crowd during the songs.
    You can definitely tell that "Do the Strand" was recorded in Newcastle by the crowd reaction to the word "Geordies!"
    New album THE HIPCRIME VOCAB available now!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

  12. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    You can definitely tell that "Do the Strand" was recorded in Newcastle by the crowd reaction to the word "Geordies!"
    Yes! That's what I mean. And thanks for the explanation. As a Dutchman I'm not familiar with all the nicknames of citizens of the UK

  13. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    I thought about starting a thread on this subject matter, but figured it had probably been done many times before. However, here's my contribution for what it's worth:

    Parallel Realities - Jack DeJohnette

    )
    First, the original Parallel Realities was a studio album. Second, a live show from Pennsylvania, 1990, was initially released on (I think) vhs and laserdisc; later (much) on DVD.In the interim, a German bootleg company called Jazz Door ripped the audio from the laserdisc and released it as a two-CD set called Parallel Realities Live.

    I must stress, however, that this and all of the label’s releases ARE bootlegs, having not licensed the material (or paying artists). They’ve done similar things, in the jazz world, with Herbie Hancock, John Scofield, Michael Brecker, Jaco Pastorius and Miles Davis, amongst others. They appear legitbecause you can find them on amazon, but that doesn’t change the fact that they’re bootleggers. I’ve told this story before, but Pat Metheny, if he found copies of Parallel Realities Live, would bring them to the sales counter and tell them he would be removing them from the store.

    So, 0lease, please, please,...as terrific a performance as it is, don’t support a Jazz Door. Instead, see if you can find the DVD (and you can rip the audio if you want it on CD), as its great watching, and it’s a legitimate commercial release.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

  14. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I’ve told this story before, but Pat Metheny, if he found copies of Parallel Realities Live, would bring them to the sales counter and tell them he would be removing them from the store.
    Sue Mingus used to do the same thing when she found bootlegs of her husband's work in record stores. She said there was only one or two instances where the stores gave her any hassles.

  15. #90
    ^^ Not to pick the fly shit out of pepper, but those are pirates, not bootlegs. But, I digress.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  16. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ Not to pick the fly shit out of pepper, but those are pirates, not bootlegs. But, I digress.
    No, I believe these were bootlegs we're talking about, live recordings of concerts that had been recorded and broadcast by European radio stations, which were then released by whichever labels without proper authorization. Same thing happened with John Coltrane (and probably other jazz artists), too.

  17. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    No, I believe these were bootlegs we're talking about, live recordings of concerts that had been recorded and broadcast by European radio stations, which were then released by whichever labels without proper authorization. Same thing happened with John Coltrane (and probably other jazz artists), too.
    Oh, yes, I misunderstood. I thought they were bogus copies of official releases.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  18. #93
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    546
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    First, the original Parallel Realities was a studio album. Second, a live show from Pennsylvania, 1990, was initially released on (I think) vhs and laserdisc; later (much) on DVD.In the interim, a German bootleg company called Jazz Door ripped the audio from the laserdisc and released it as a two-CD set called Parallel Realities Live.

    I must stress, however, that this and all of the label’s releases ARE bootlegs, having not licensed the material (or paying artists). They’ve done similar things, in the jazz world, with Herbie Hancock, John Scofield, Michael Brecker, Jaco Pastorius and Miles Davis, amongst others. They appear legitbecause you can find them on amazon, but that doesn’t change the fact that they’re bootleggers. I’ve told this story before, but Pat Metheny, if he found copies of Parallel Realities Live, would bring them to the sales counter and tell them he would be removing them from the store.

    So, 0lease, please, please,...as terrific a performance as it is, don’t support a Jazz Door. Instead, see if you can find the DVD (and you can rip the audio if you want it on CD), as its great watching, and it’s a legitimate commercial release.
    I appreciate the input here but the bootleg aspect (or pirate recording) from 1990 on Jazz Door doesn't apply to the CD I have, a later legit release from 2002, on Kang & Music label. I first heard it on the Public radio Jazz station in Chicago, when Jack DeJohnette was in studio for one of his frequent interviews in Chicago (circa 2009). He commented on the playing for this live recording (recorded live at the Mellon Jazz Festival, 1990, Philadelphia) and there was no mention of a problem with legitimacy of the Kang CD issue. I also have the original studio version of Parallel Realities from 1990, which was also solid.

    As a side note, here is a quote from a review of the album which references the late, great Neil Peart (quite a tribute):

    This jazz drummer is a very talented drummer with a unique style - Neil Peart the drummer of the rock band Rush and the drummer behind the Buddy Rich Memorial events since drummer Buddy Rich died in 1987, said that he, Neil Peart, wished he could play as well as Jack Dejohnette did on this album

    This is an outstanding live CD with great performances by all four players.

  19. #94
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    4,387
    Kang version apparently 'licensed' from Jazz Door https://www.discogs.com/Jack-DeJohne...elease/5274874

  20. #95
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    546
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Kang version apparently 'licensed' from Jazz Door https://www.discogs.com/Jack-DeJohne...elease/5274874
    Yes, I spotted that on Discogs earlier. The question I raise here relates to whether the 2002 release is a true pirated recording that should be avoided and even taken off the shelves or removed from Amazon, etc. I don't see where it is in that category and Jack had no aversion to its existence when narrating it on the radio interview. I don't feel like I have taken advantage of anyone by purchasing it or recommending it here on PE as a great live Jazz/Fusion recording.

  21. #96
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    4,387
    I know to little about the release so am not being moralistic or judgemental. But I want to hear it

    Musicians should have an open paypal account, so everytime you want to support them for whatever reasons, or make a mense for having bought music were you know they aren't getting anything...

  22. #97
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    42°09′30″N 71°08′43″W
    Posts
    3,177
    The only problem with the blanket condemnation of Jazz Door and other similar labels is that their releases are sometimes the only available recordings of those performances, so fans might want 'em anyway--but they'd buy legit copies if they were released. I've done this myself, though since the www came along it's been easier to just get live shows on your own without giving sketchy companies any money. I've also done a lot of this, and then bought the legit items when they've come out.

  23. #98
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    42°09′30″N 71°08′43″W
    Posts
    3,177
    Kang
    I draw the line at giving money to Klingons.

  24. #99
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    546
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I draw the line at giving money to Klingons.


    Point well taken.

    Kang2370.jpg

  25. #100
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    546
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I know to little about the release so am not being moralistic or judgemental. But I want to hear it
    You won't regret adding this jewel of Jazz/Rock fusion to your collection. It showcases DeJohnette, Metheny, Hancock and Holland at the top of their game; interacting with each other in a maelstrom of over the top duels. Simply one of the best fusion live recordings.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •