Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw Nektar Tuesday Night (Spoilers)

Saw Nektar Tuesday Night (Spoilers)

There is a Nektar album thread, but not really a tour thread so here goes.....

I saw Nektar at The Token Lounge in Westland MI (outside of Detroit) Tuesday night.

First a little background on how I discovered Nektar. Way back in the day, I was thumbing through albums in a used record store. I stumbled upon an album called “Through The Ears”. It was a compilation album from a band called Nektar whom I had never heard of. I looked at the cover of the album and thought it was cool. I looked at the back of the album at the song titles and they looked cool too, and some of them were quite long. I had no idea if the album was prog rock or what, and this was years before the internet so you couldn’t just look it up. The album was in the used bin and cheaply priced, so I decided to take a chance and buy it. When I got the album home and put it on my stereo, I couldn’t believe my ears at how good it was, and especially that I had never heard of this band. I eventually picked up their entire catalogue at the time and the rest is history.

By the time I discovered Nektar they had already broken up, so I figured my chances of seeing them live were non-existent. Then NEARfest announced the re-union show in 2001. I was extremely happy to get the chance to finally see this band. Although the band re-formed with various lineups over the last two decades, they never played anywhere near me, so I figured the chances of seeing them again was not going to happen, especially after Roye died a few years ago. Fast forward to last year when it was announced that the band was back together doing a new album and an extensive U.S. tour. The closest date was Detroit, which is a two-hour drive for me, but getting the chance to see them again was worth it so we got tickets since this is the first time the band have played in Michigan since I have been aware of them.

A Detroit area band called Cat Lung opened the show. I had heard of these guys, but never seen them. I guess I would call them a mix of progressive rock and art rock featuring a 4-piece lineup of guitar / vocals, drums / vocals, bass, and a woman who played flute, keys, Theremin, and vocals. I enjoyed them quite a bit. They were all very good musicians. The final song featured a Theremin solo. Unlike most bands that just make noise with the electronic gizmo, this woman could really play it. In fact, I think it is one of the better uses of the instrument that I have ever seen.

Next up were Nektar. The current lineup features original members Dereck “Mo” Moore, and Ron Howden along with former members Randy Dembo, and Ryche Chianda. Rounding out the band was new keyboardist Kendall Scott. Mick Brockett was also on hand for visuals and special effects. The band mixed it up with several songs from the new album along with plenty of classics. With Dembo and Moore both in the band, at times there were two basses being played at the same time, which was certainly different, but it worked. Chianda handled the majority of the lead vocals and did a fine job. Both Howden and Moore also took turns at the lead vocal mic. Who knew Howden could sing and he had a great voice? Moore did a great job on the rocker “I’m On Fire” from the new album too. Newest member Scott was great on keys seeming to fit right in. Chianda’s guitar work was flawless all night as instrumentally everyone in the band were in top form. The Token Lounge is a club with kind of a typical low stage, so Brockett’s multi-media projections were a bit cramped due to the low ceiling, but it was still a cool addition to the overall performance. The set list was about what I hoped for as they touched on all of their 70’s classic albums. I really enjoy the new one too, so hearing a bunch from it was also enjoyable. The crowed was decent for a Tuesday night. It was kind of hard to tell how many people were there. The club had low tables set up on the main floor and then there was a section of high-top tables in the back. The high-top tables seemed to be pretty full, while there were empty chairs at the low tables in the front right in front of the band. I found it a bit odd, but this is a prog audience, so who knows.

After the show the band stuck around and we got to have a nice conversation with both Mick Brockett and Mo Moore, both of whom were very hospitable. The drive home was a bit of an adventure though. While we were in the club, the temperature had dropped into the 20’s and a winter storm had descended upon southern Michigan. The normal two-hour drive became more of an endurance test. At one point about halfway home, the police had closed the highway, so we had to follow semi-trucks through country roads for a long stretch in order to eventually make it back to the highway. I got home about 3:45AM, so it was a long night, but worth it. If this show is coming to your town, go see them! Here is the set-list:

THE LIGHT BEYOND
    RECYCLED
    SKYWRITER
    LOVE IS / THE OTHER SIDE
    THE DREAM NEBULA / DRIFTING
    REMEMER THE FUTURE PART I
    DESOLATION VALLEY / WAVES
    REMEMBER THE FUTURE PARTS 2 & 3
    LOOK THROUGH ME
    I’M ON FIRE
    FIDGITY QUEEN
    GOOD DAY
    Last edited by SteveSly; 02-28-2020 at 12:56 AM.

Pretty cool setlist. I could quibble (i.e., I'd rather see "Tab" or "King of Twilight" than "Desolation/Waves" for that album), but overall I expect that, at Yoshi's in June, I will be happy with what I have to be happy with.

So to speak.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

The first half of the setlist you got was basically the same as what we got here. I'm not sure if we got The Light Beyond. It's listed on the setlist I retrieved from the stage, but here, they opened with Recycled. WE got the same new songs, as well as The Dream Nebula. We, also got a song called Devil's Door which they wrote back in 1974 (there's a version of it on the Live Anthology box that came out a couple years ago) and It's All Over. Then Ron was apparently feeling not well, so they ended the show with Look Through Me, and that was it. After playing side one of Remember The Future, Riche started playing the next song, but then stopped. I thought maybe they were having a technical problem onstage, but Ron wasn't feeling well, so the rest of the band finished the show with Look Through Me.

The setlist I have suggests they were going to "Remember The Future 2" (whatever that actually means, I'm not sure), ending with something identified as "D jam/KOT". Look Through Me was supposed to be played as an encore, along with Fidgety Queen and I'm On Fire. Under "options" at the bottom of the page is "D jam/KOT, "Remember The Future 3" and Good Day.

Another interesting thing is, they apparently considered doing A Tab In The Ocean, but it was crossed out and replaced with Recycled, I guess.

Anyway, it was a great show. We had a few Spinal Tap incidents, as I said, Ron was ill (he still came out after the show and signed autographs, talked, and took photos for us) and a couple of Mick Brockett's lighting projectors didn't work, but it was still a great show, even if it wasn't quite what they planned. I was just glad to see Mo and Mick back in action, and to also see Mo playing his John Birch doubleneck (yeah, I know it looks like a Rickenbacker, but John Birch made matching doublenecks for both Mo and Roye back in the mid 70's, you can tell Birch's guitars by the pickups, which are the same as the ones in the guitars he made for Tony Iommi and Slade's Dave Hill).

Oh, I knew Ron Howden could sing, but that's because when I saw them in 2004 (when they toured with Caravan), I noticed him singing the first stanza on A Tab In The Ocean. I hadn't spotted that when they did it at NEARfest, but in a small club like the Agora Ballroom, it was easy enough to see (actually, I saw spotted during the soundcheck, because I spied him through an open stage door, and I thought "I didn't know Ron sang!").

The amazing thing is, Ron's 75, as Riche told me, and he can still play like THAT, and also still sing well enough to do the bits he needs to sing. That's pretty impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The amazing thing is, Ron's 75, as Riche told me, and he can still play like THAT, and also still sing well enough to do the bits he needs to sing. That's pretty impressive!
    Give it up for the left-handed drummer! (unlike the other *famous* lefty--Mr. Phil Collins--who sadly can't drum anymore as we all know)

Ron Howden sings most of their debut, "Journey to the Center of the Eye," doesn't he?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I regrettably missed this show in Detroit. I had to work and sometimes switching the schedule or asking for the night off is more hassle than it's worth. You win some, you lose some. Sounds like I lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Pretty cool setlist. I could quibble (i.e., I'd rather see "Tab" or "King of Twilight" than "Desolation/Waves" for that album), but overall I expect that, at Yoshi's in June, I will be happy with what I have to be happy with.

So to speak.
    They have mixing up the set list quite a bit from what I have seen, so you may get some different stuff at your show.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Ron Howden sings most of their debut, "Journey to the Center of the Eye," doesn't he?
    I have had the album for years, but to be honest I don't know. I only saw Nektar live once before at NEARfest and I don't recall him singing in any lead there. I guess i just assumed it was mostly Roye back in the day.

I agree, his playing was really outstanding and powerful. That tympani drum that he has in his set up really works well, and he knows how to make the best use of it. I am not sure how they fit the thing in their equipment van, but it really added to the drum sound.

Ron sung a lot on the Magic Is A Child album:

A1 Away From Asgard
    Vocals – Dave, Mo, Ron

A2 Magic Is A Child
    Harmony Vocals – Dave
    Lead Vocals, Harmony Vocals – Mo, Ron

A3 Eerie Lackawanna
    Vocals – Taff, Dave, Mo, Ron

A4 Midnite Lite
    Harmony Vocals – Dave
    Lead Vocals – Mo

A5 Love To Share (Keep Your Worries Behind You)
    Harmony Vocals – Taff, Dave, Jeff
    Lead Vocals [Father], Harmony Vocals – Mo
    Lead Vocals [Son], Harmony Vocals – Ron

B1 Train From Nowhere
    Harmony Vocals – Taff, Mo, Ron
    Lead Vocals, Harmony Vocals – Dave

B2 Listen
    Harmony Vocals – Mo
    Lead Vocals – Dave

B3 On The Run (The Trucker)
    Harmony Vocals – Dave, Mo
    Lead Vocals – Ron

B4 Spread Your Wings
    Harmony Vocals – Mo
    Lead Vocals – Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    Ron sung a lot on the Magic Is A Child album:

A1 Away From Asgard
    Vocals – Dave, Mo, Ron

A2 Magic Is A Child
    Harmony Vocals – Dave
    Lead Vocals, Harmony Vocals – Mo, Ron

A3 Eerie Lackawanna
    Vocals – Taff, Dave, Mo, Ron

A4 Midnite Lite
    Harmony Vocals – Dave
    Lead Vocals – Mo

A5 Love To Share (Keep Your Worries Behind You)
    Harmony Vocals – Taff, Dave, Jeff
    Lead Vocals [Father], Harmony Vocals – Mo
    Lead Vocals [Son], Harmony Vocals – Ron

B1 Train From Nowhere
    Harmony Vocals – Taff, Mo, Ron
    Lead Vocals, Harmony Vocals – Dave

B2 Listen
    Harmony Vocals – Mo
    Lead Vocals – Dave

B3 On The Run (The Trucker)
    Harmony Vocals – Dave, Mo
    Lead Vocals – Ron

B4 Spread Your Wings
    Harmony Vocals – Mo
    Lead Vocals – Dave

I have that album, but had no clue he was singing those songs. Cool to know!

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    Give it up for the left-handed drummer! (unlike the other *famous* lefty--Mr. Phil Collins--who sadly can't drum anymore as we all know)
    Hey, Ian Paice is still a pretty bad ass drummer too, and he's a southpaw also!

BTW, seeing the mention of Magic Is The Child reminds me that at the show I saw, at the merch table, they had a sign trumpeting the fact that the girl on the cover of Magic Is The Child is Brooke Shields!

Hey, Ian Paice is still a pretty bad ass drummer too, and he's a southpaw also!
    Rod Morgenstein!

I'll be very happy if they play RTF as it's my favorite Nektar album. I'll be seeing them Jun3 8 at Yoshi's as well. This Wednesday is Wishbone Ash
    at Yoshi's, who I always look forward to.

OK, who else is going to Yoshi's? Should we have a meetup?
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    They have mixing up the set list quite a bit from what I have seen, so you may get some different stuff at your show.
    In Boston there was no Recycled or RTF Part 1, but there was Tab and It's All Over.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    First listen to the new LP I grabbed at the Iron Horse show left a very favorable impression!

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    First listen to the new LP I grabbed at the Iron Horse show left a very favorable impression!
    As did the nifty swirl vinyl!

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    OK, who else is going to Yoshi's? Should we have a meetup?
    Sounds all right to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I had ordered it before the show, but it did not arrive until the day after the show. In retrospect I should have just bought it at the merch table the night of the show. Anyway, I am really enjoying it.

It's very good. Lyrics are pretty weak, IMHO.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

My brother and our band will be going to Yoshi's
    Really looking forward to it

My brother (Jay) and I hosted the Nektar performance at my brothers Hamburg Palace Theatre (Hamburg, NY) on Saturday Feb. 22nd. I had seen them perform at ProgStock in October, and also saw them perform in Cleveland, OH. on Wed. Fed. 26th. The Hamburg Palace performance was a "Dream Come True" moment for me as Nektar is my favorite Space Rock group of all time. I even had the honor of Introducing the band! If I remember correctly, this was the 14th time I have seen Nektar live, first time being in 1975 in Buffalo, NY. So it's been 45 years since they performed close by.
    The performance was so amazing, and with the awesome acoustics in the theater, the sound couldn't have been better. And Mick Brockett's Liquid Light Show was out of this world!
    The set list performed at the Palace Theatre was:

THE LIGHT BEYOND
    TAB IN THE OCEAN
    SKYWRITER
    THE DREAM NEBULA / DRIFTING
    LOVE IS / THE OTHER SIDE
    DEVILS DOOR
    REMEMBER THE FUTURE PART I
    IT'S ALL OVER
    REMEMBER THE FUTURE PART 2
    I’M ON FIRE
    LOOK THROUGH ME
    FIDGETY QUEEN
    GOOD DAY
    Total Time: 2 hrs. 30 mins.

Scott
    https://radiospiral.net
    Last edited by srtd4; 03-03-2020 at 08:56 PM.