Thread: Musicians Algorithmically Generate Every Possible Melody, Release Them to Public Doma

Musicians Algorithmically Generate Every Possible Melody, Release Them to Public Doma

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

When one considers between the 12 notes, whole through 256th note lengths, an equal number of rest lengths, et cetera, there are billions of possible melodies. Who has the time to listen to all of them in the public domain? Perhaps their goal is to negate all musical copyrights.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Based on the article, that is indeed one of their goals: to negate copyright lawsuits.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Very interesting concept, at least. If it could eventually serve to stop the nonsense lawsuits by major labels that seems like a good thing.
    <sig out of order>

I guess that because the algorithm has no knowledge of music, it cannot be 'copying' an existing melody.
    So the existence of the midi file does not infringe.
    Lets say someone wanted to use one of the midi melody files in a song.
    I would think that the Choice of a particular file by the musician/creative could be questioned if it 'infringes'.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Based on the article, that is indeed one of their goals: to negate copyright lawsuits.
    And by extension, another step down the road that musicians should work for free.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama