Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DEEP PURPLE - New album "Whoosh!" late spring 2020

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Steve Morse is probably the greatest living guitarist, that solo he's blowing over Starship Trooper is pretty epic (i'm dead serious)!
    He's certainly great. But I find some of his guitar runs a bit samey.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I have a lot of respect for Steve Morse and I like his overall contribution to Purple, but I too find most of his solos too predictable in DP.
    Great tone, great musicality but I would like more constructed solos instead of those same old fast runs. (I'm not talking about the latest track, since I've refrained from listening to it until the album release).

The second single, Man Alive, will premiere on May 1st.

I'm hoping to see some news on CD singles for these tracks, as they did with the last couple of albums.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    I have a lot of respect for Steve Morse and I like his overall contribution to Purple, but I too find most of his solos too predictable in DP.
    Great tone, great musicality but I would like more constructed solos instead of those same old fast runs. (I'm not talking about the latest track, since I've refrained from listening to it until the album release).
    I agree.

It sounds like he's just punching the clock.
    Last edited by nosebone; 04-24-2020 at 01:59 PM.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I'd have to agree. He's capable of variety though, if he felt the need.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^^ That was quite good.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Is that Ian Gillan on autotune?! Oh, my.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Is that Ian Gillan on autotune?! Oh, my.
    I think it's an effect, not autotune.

Fantastic song, DP are making their best music again!

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Me too. It kind of harkens back to the 70’s style covers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Reminded me somewhat of David Bergen's Shipwreck (included in The Flights Of Icarus from Roger and Martin Dean):

shipwreck.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Reminded me somewhat of David Bergen's Shipwreck (included in The Flights Of Icarus from Roger and Martin Dean):

shipwreck.jpg
    Love that painting, a very haunting image.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Love that painting, a very haunting image.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
    On the 6:53 mark there's another likewise painting:

Revisiting: Deep Purple.....Abandon.

It's my favorite Steve Morse era Deep Purple album. It's crunchy and ballsy.

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Revisiting: Deep Purple.....Abandon.

It's my favorite Steve Morse era Deep Purple album. It's crunchy and ballsy.
    It is an excellent disc. Great riffs on this one. Quite heavy indeed.

Crunchy organ too. I saw DP live once, in 2001. Jon Lord was playing Hammond. RIP.

^Abandon is my least favorite of the Morse era, because its heaviness sounds a bit forced to my ears (the guitar is a bit too loud in the mix, and the songwriting isn't as exciting as on Purpendicular IMHO, like they were trying too hard to prove they still were a ballsy hard rock band). For me it probably suffered from coming shortly after Purpendicular and sounding like an impoverished version of it.

I'm glad it fulfilled other people's expectations though ! I was glad the band had found its feet again at the time, it was good having Lord still in the band and all of them experiencing freedom and a relaxed atmosphere.

Old man of prog
    New album leaked out for about 10 hours on one of the Hi Rez retail sites Friday morning by mistake and I got it before they removed it!. Only a couple of cursory listens so far and first analysis is it's quite competent but a bit polite. Not proggy but well executed. Most importantly however I can report unlike the last disc the lyrics are not cringeworthy! YAY.

When I discovered Morse had joined Purple I started buying their albums again and saw them live quite a lot. Sadly though all those albums ended up being sold on E Bay until Now What?! came along. Bob Ezrin seems to be able to get the best out of them for sure, and I love hearing all the sort of 'Kansas' moments that Morse brings to the music too.

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    New album leaked out for about 10 hours on one of the Hi Rez retail sites Friday morning by mistake and I got it before they removed it!. Only a couple of cursory listens so far and first analysis is it's quite competent but a bit polite. Not proggy but well executed. Most importantly however I can report unlike the last disc the lyrics are not cringeworthy! YAY.
    I'm not expecting a masterpiece, and if the lyrics are better than last time it's a good point.

Was listening to the remake of Bloodsucker on Abandon. It's my favorite track on that album. So that sent me to the original version (which I don't recall ever hearing). I've never owned In Rock but I've heard most of it. I listened to In Rock from beginning to end today, for the first time ever. Yeah, it's a classic and deserves all the accolades.

While on the subject of Deep Purple, you may want to check out Strange Kind of Women, an Italian all-female Deep Purple tribute band. They are all accomplished musicians who play in various bands in Italy. What can i say, they rock! Drummer Paola Caridi is particularly impressive.

Gary Levin (a.k.a. The Microwave Brain)
    Co-host, The Greatest Show From Earth
    9:00 PM Eastern time first Sunday of each month
    WWUH-FM 91.3 West Hartford, CT and wwuh.org

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Was listening to the remake of Bloodsucker on Abandon. It's my favorite track on that album. So that sent me to the original version (which I don't recall ever hearing). I've never owned In Rock but I've heard most of it. I listened to In Rock from beginning to end today, for the first time ever. Yeah, it's a classic and deserves all the accolades.
    Just how good In Rock is depends on whether you listen to the Warner Brothers US release with the intro to Speed King hacked off, or the full song on the British import.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Anyone else get this one yet? I absolutely LOVE it after my first couple of spins. That same magic as on Infinite and Now What?! is still there, IMO. Some solid (if standard) rockers early on, but as the album progresses it really becomes quite fantastic. The Long Way Round, The Power Of The Moon, Man Alive... these are excellent tracks to my ears! Airey once again impresses, and I maintain Glover and Paice are one one of the most under-mentioned rhythm sections in rock. They all sound amazing for their age.

Well done again Purples (and Ezrin!)

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Anyone else get this one yet? I absolutely LOVE it after my first couple of spins. That same magic as on Infinite and Now What?! is still there, IMO. Some solid (if standard) rockers early on, but as the album progresses it really becomes quite fantastic. The Long Way Round, The Power Of The Moon, Man Alive... these are excellent tracks to my ears! Airey once again impresses, and I maintain Glover and Paice are one one of the most under-mentioned rhythm sections in rock. They all sound amazing for their age.

Well done again Purples (and Ezrin!)
    Stop rubbing it in! I forgot to pre-order it. I'm so absent minded sometimes!! Can't wait to hear it.