Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DEEP PURPLE - New album "Whoosh!" late spring 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Stop rubbing it in! I forgot to pre-order it. I'm so absent minded sometimes!! Can't wait to hear it.
    It will be worth the wait, I promise!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Got the cd yesterday, have played it once. Sounds ok on a first listen but hope to like it a lot more. So far there seems to be more rock boogie on there and less prog going on but I need to listen more. The instrumental called And The Address originally from the very first DP album seems really good.

Good interview with Don here

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Got the cd yesterday, have played it once. Sounds ok on a first listen but hope to like it a lot more. So far there seems to be more rock boogie on there and less prog going on but I need to listen more. The instrumental called And The Address originally from the very first DP album seems really good.
    Got it yesterday, on the first listen I was a bit disappointed but each consecutive listen improved my impression by leaps and bounds. Really good album.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

The part in the interview where Don Airey mentions Nashville getting overpopulated, musicians leaving, studios turning into condos, sounds like Austin circa 2000/2001.

The part about seeing live bands everywhere sounds like old Austin.

And so the cycle continues...
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Good album. Lots to enjoy.
    The dvd with the limited edition has Ezrin and Glover discussing the recording. Pretty cool but would've been much better with the whole band. I loved the soloing of recorded tracks during the discussion.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

With Morse and Airey blasting away on Remission Possible, it reminds me of Moore and Airey in Coloseum II, wish there was more of that on the album.

Only listened to it once. Somewhat underwhelming. Got to give them credit for still pumping out the music, but there's nothing new here. More chromatic Morseisms and I'm not a particular fan of Don Airey's sound choices. I still think "Now What?" is the best of their last 3. I'll have to give it a few more listens.

My only complaint with the Hi-Res version I purchased from HDTracks is it's somewhat brickwalled. Not as badly as some other albums, but bad enough. I now wish I would've sprung for the vinyl version...a format on which it isn't possible to brickwall.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Anil just did a new interview with Steve and he discussed the new album quite a bit-

https://www.innerviews.org/inner/ste...2cCV3wEeRZSCO8

^^ Great interview with Steve Morse. He is one level-headed, cool guy! Oh, and very talented!

After more plays I think Whoosh might be the least good of the Ezrin 3. Man Alive is still my fave, wish there was more of like that.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Anil just did a new interview with Steve and he discussed the new album quite a bit-

https://www.innerviews.org/inner/ste...2cCV3wEeRZSCO8
    Nice interview Sean!

Play like Gilmour!

Btw, Whoosh is a solid fun listen. Everyone sounds great.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Love the nosebone.It ROCKS!!!!!
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I notice Gillan found a home for his "...she blew all the leaves from my tree" lyric in the song Nothing At All. He was batting that around for Johnny's Band on the last album during the sessions documented in the From Here To Infinite blu-ray.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^^ That is almost Coverdalian in its lyrical artistry!

On first listen I find it a bit underwhelming, because some songs had the potential to be expanded a bit, and there are annoying fade-outs. But it's probably my prog mind's appreciation of things. There's a lot to like on the album, and although it doesn't bring anything really new to the table, it still sounds fresh and musically dynamic (in spite of the audio compression). I would have liked them to go out with a bang, but it's a fine album and it seems to be well received, kudos to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    On first listen I find it a bit underwhelming, because some songs had the potential to be expanded a bit, and there are annoying fade-outs. But it's probably my prog mind's appreciation of things. There's a lot to like on the album, and although it doesn't bring anything really new to the table, it still sounds fresh and musically dynamic (in spite of the audio compression). I would have liked them to go out with a bang, but it's a fine album and it seems to be well received, kudos to them.
    Having had it since release I find I just keep playing it again and again, I now think maybe its the best of the Ezrin 3. By the way, Ian Paice said in a recent interview that since they don't have any touring lined up until next June they may well record another!
    Last edited by Steve983; 08-25-2020 at 11:54 AM.

Sounds like I need to get this.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I now wish I would've sprung for the vinyl version...a format on which it isn't possible to brickwall.
    Are you sure?
    If all versions are sourced from the same hi-res stereo master, and has been brick-walled, everything else follows.
    I hope you find otherwise with the vinyl.

^^ A brickwalled vinyl record would be unplayable. The stylus would be violently thrown from one extreme side to the other, and likely start riding over the lands in the groove as if they were teeth of a saw blade. Two albums I can name right off hand in which the digital version is brickwalled, but the vinyl is not would be Kaipa's Children of the Sounds, and Kansas' latest.

^^ A brickwalled vinyl record would be unplayable. The stylus would be violently thrown from one extreme side to the other, and likely start riding over the lands in the groove as if they were a saw blade. Two albums I can name right off hand in which the digital version is brickwalled, but the vinyl is not would be Kaipa's Children of the Sounds, and Kansas' latest.
    It leaves your needle scratching it head wondering what that awful noise is. I wish they would master recordings like the music was done in the 70’s for the vinyl release. It would make it worthwhile spending the money for it then

I should also mention to brickwall, or not to brickwall is as easy as increasing, or decreasing the level on the limiter, as the final stage of mastering. Creating a separate brickwalled version for digital, and non-brickwalled for vinyl is as easy as turning 1, maybe 2 knobs.

I should also mention to brickwall, or not to brickwall is as easy as increasing, or decreasing the level on the limiter, as the final stage of mastering. Creating a separate brickwalled version for digital, and non-brickwalled for vinyl is as easy as turning 1, maybe 2 knobs.
    Then I would be in full favor of doing a non brick walled vinyl. Don’t most people buy vinyl for better sound? I know some just want it for other reasons but I for one would go for the vinyl if it wasn’t brick walled like the cd is.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Then I would be in full favor of doing a non brick walled vinyl. Don’t most people buy vinyl for better sound? I know some just want it for other reasons but I for one would go for the vinyl if it wasn’t brick walled like the cd is.
    I guess you didn't understand progmatist's point in the previous post. It is physically impossible to produce a brickwalled vinyl, it simply won't play. So you can be entirely sure that any vinyl record you buy will not be brickwalled. It can sound like crap for other reasons, but it won't be brickwalled.
    Perspective Vortex - my new solo project available now at http://perspectivevortex.bandcamp.com
    Mahtrak Progressive Jazz Rock - www.mahtrak.com