Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DEEP PURPLE - New album "Whoosh!" late spring 2020

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Well, they redid "Bloodsucker" too with the Steve Morse version of the band, so it's not unprecedented.
    But that was A Mark II track. "And the Address" is Mark I and an instrumental. I'm pretty sure this band also did "Hush."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

If "Dancing In My Sleep" was a bonus song, then "And The Address" would be the last official track on this album, which may have something to do with the fact that "And The Address" was the first track on the first Purple album.
    Will DP end "full circle" like Black Sabbath did ? (The thunder that opens the first album also closes the last one.)

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    If "Dancing In My Sleep" was a bonus song, then "And The Address" would be the last official track on this album, which may have something to do with the fact that "And The Address" was the first track on the first Purple album.
    Will DP end "full circle" like Black Sabbath did ? (The thunder that opens the first album also closes the last one.)
    Yeah obviously they won’t be around forever and every album they do could very well be the last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds great!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Yeah. I'm quite digging that.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

Sounds great!
    1:42-2:22 is "Wurm" from "Starship Trooper"... G Eb C.

I'm okay with that, though.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Fantastic track, loooove it.

Groovy! [emoji106]

I didn't like it.

I listened to the track last night. I'm not feeling it after only listening once. I wish Ian Gillan would quit with the Vegas style singing that was all over the last album. I'll still buy the new album but I hope this track isn't indicative of the whole thing-and given how much variety is on a Purple album, it probably isn't.

Sounds like a mixture of Europe and them circa House of blue light, the only novelty is rather old too, I mean that little comical guitar solo from different music style. But I think they like it because it sounds so anti-Blackmore. Could someone explain what does the music business experience of 50 years mean, if they still need a producer. What he tells them? Don't play this note, play that one? And they respond, man, this is so wise. What would we do without your advices.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Sounds like a mixture of Europe and them circa House of blue light, the only novelty is rather old too, I mean that little comical guitar solo from different music style. But I think they like it because it sounds so anti-Blackmore. Could someone explain what does the music business experience of 50 years mean, if they still need a producer. What he tells them? Don't play this note, play that one? And they respond, man, this is so wise. What would we do without your advices.
    The task of a producer is far more than that. With a bunch of ego's like Deep Purple a producer can function as someone who keeps things on track.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    There's a doc with the last album that shows how much Ezrin contributed. He get's them together, they jam, he gives advice, and things go on and really cool music happens. Like a sixth member who's job is to make them look good.

They aren't that egotistic, really. Seems odd but they really work well with someone like Ezrin.

So WTF? Everything they said a couple years ago is moot? Supposed to be the last album and tour and, Now? What!!

Yeah, really bad pun there but seriously, they gonna do another three year tour for another farewell album? They should do Now?What!! in it's entirety, let us bask in the Jon Lord tribute album.

Bunch of old farts hanging on but the music isn't awful, and they are still making music, so that's very cool. I dig the song, Ian Paice is so damn good. Not the best from this incarnation but worthy of discussion.
    Last edited by TheLoony; 03-25-2020 at 08:23 PM.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

I'm not saying the members are egotistic, but an outside producer can keep everything in balance and help them stay focussed. Even the greatest musicians can be insecure and like to record some part over and over again.

Yeah, 'egotistic' is a funny reference) How about critics? Aren't they "egotistic" - why not? Maybe they also need a 'producer', who'd help them to set the brains in the right way. And those painters, who dare to paint alone? Writers? how long will they test the herd's patience with their egotism? All creative professionals should work under the supervision of special "collectivists", so as not to offend sensitive idiots with their self-will.

Painters are not a band. In the past painters worked more as a team with one leader.

With a group like Deep Purple there is hardly one leader, so a producer can be handy to keep things focused.

It is just a difference between people working alone and people working in a collective, where there might need to be someone to take the lead and an outside person can be the right solution for that, to avoid tensions in the band. And even solo-artists might use a producer, so they can focus on the things they do best. The producer might be able to bring the best performance from the musicians and know more about the studio, than the artist.

A composer, or solo-artist, who works alone sets the course. Even if he employs other people, it is his vision that is dominant. With a group of equals, things are different. The keyboardplayer might come up with some idea, which is augumented by the guitar-player and the singer and then the drummer and bass-player also have their say. At that point there had to be someone to keep the overview and the balance in mind.

And before a book is published an editor might look at it and talk with the author about things.
    Last edited by Rarebird; 04-01-2020 at 08:25 AM.

^^ Agreed. An objective outsider is not as emotionally invested in the work as the artists would be. They should be bringing clarity and challenging assumptions while helping to facilitate.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Painters are not a band. In the past painters worked more as a team with one leader.

With a group like Deep Purple there is hardly one leader, so a producer can be handy to keep things focused.

It is just a difference between people working alone and people working in a collective, where there might need to be someone to take the lead and an outside person can be the right solution for that, to avoid tensions in the band. And even solo-artists might use a producer, so they can focus on the things they do best. The producer might be able to bring the best performance from the musicians and know more about the studio, than the artist.

A composer, or solo-artist, who works alone sets the course. Even if he employs other people, it is his vision that is dominant. With a group of equals, things are different. The keyboardplayer might come up with some idea, which is augumented by the guitar-player and the singer and then the drummer and bass-player also have their say. At that point there had to be someone to keep the overview and the balance in mind.

And before a book is published an editor might look at it and talk with the author about things.
    In an interview, Richie said it was much easier in Rainbow than Purple because it was just his ego, versus the 5 egos in Purple.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    In an interview, Richie said it was much easier in Rainbow than Purple because it was just his ego, versus the 5 egos in Purple.
    That figures, with the ego of Richie Blackmore.

A message from Ian Gillan:

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction...well, not exactly in this case; more cause and effect, where the latter is often greater than the former.

Distribution lines (the physical sales of CDs, vinyl, cassettes (?) etc) and retail outlets are closed until The Dreaded Lurgy* gets indigestion.

Therefore, as there are still so many of us who love to hold a new record in our hands, and following advice from our magnificent label, we have decided to delay the release of Whoosh until August.

During my quarantine I’m listening to a lot of music and guessing that it’s the same for many of us during this scary disruption to our lives.

We know, don’t we, that music will play a big part in our celebrations as we step back into the light.

But, health comes first, so I must stuff my excitement about sharing Whoosh with you back into a box for a little while.

Stay well and follow the light…

ig
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Good thing I finally shelled out for "Infinite," it's like getting a new DP album three years late!
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Interesting about the delay re cd factories, and yet other bands still saying they'll hit their upcoming release dates..

Steve Morse is probably the greatest living guitarist, that solo he's blowing over Starship Trooper is pretty epic (i'm dead serious)!

The Dreaded Lurgy*
    He may not be able to sing as well as he did in his hey day but he can still come up with some really good lyrics and he's always a great interview. Dreaded Lurgy, it's too funny. I probably am missing something in translation but what the hell.

@Progholio, when did Steve play Starship. I haven't heard/seen that.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000