Thread: 50th Anniversary of Defining Genesis Recording

50th Anniversary of Defining Genesis Recording

It's the 50th Anniversary of the recording that clearly demonstrated Genesis would be a major player in defining the sound of '70s Progressive Rock.

I dunno. This is very embryonic to my ears. It wasn't til Collins and Hackett joined that they started turning heads beyond their initial small following in the UK.

YMMV.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Pretty sure the credits at the youtube link are attributing some vocals to Phillips that were actually Banks.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I dunno. This is very embryonic to my ears. It wasn't til Collins and Hackett joined that they started turning heads beyond their initial small following in the UK.

YMMV.
    I would agree. These recordings have promise, for sure, but aren't yet 'great' IMHO. They are still a bit on the twee side and over-wordy, IMHO. I like the flute in 'Let Us Now Make Love' though!

'Stagnation' has that 'join with me upon my quest for gold' coda; it's not very good, but an interesting listen! The other is 'Looking For Someone' which is musically the same as what came out on Trespass but has different lyrics in places. ('Dusk' was not broadcast so is presumably lost.)

The thing which amazes me is that this session survived, which wasn't a given for the BBC at the time. Genesis were more or less unknowns, their Decca releases hadn't sold anything.

And in 2021 it'll be 51 years.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Pretty sure the credits at the youtube link are attributing some vocals to Phillips that were actually Banks.
    It's definitely Banks sharing lead vocals on The Shepherd ("So they ride through a valley of mist...", etc.) Phillips mainly did backing vocals, although it's him singing "...now and forever" on Let Us Now Make Love.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I can see why they had that coda for 'Stagnation' at this stage- it does sort of hold it together. To be honest, though, I always thought the closing section starting from 'and will I wait forever...' was far better than what had preceded it. I think that's the first fully great piece of music they released.

Genesis are fortunate in that, as far as I'm aware, every one of their BBC sessions now exists in perfect quality. (The tapes for their hitherto-lost third session were finally discovered in 2008-ish.)

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Genesis are fortunate in that, as far as I'm aware, every one of their BBC sessions now exists in perfect quality. (The tapes for their hitherto-lost third session were finally discovered in 2008-ish.)
    Actually, the 9th january 1972 session was located in 1995 on a pre-broadcast BBC reel-to-reel tape.
    The 2008 BBC6 rebroadcast comes from a different transfer of that very same reel (and a pre-fm recording of it exists as well), in fact the waveform is more compressed on the 2008 source.

^Interesting. I wonder why the promo CD-R for the (unreleased) BBC Sessions CD apparently used ropey off-air recordings for this session, then. (Well, that's what I've read- I've never had that CD-R or anything!)

To be fair I think the most interesting BBC tracks were used on the first Archive box.

^Interesting. I wonder why the promo CD-R for the (unreleased) BBC Sessions CD apparently used ropey off-air recordings for this session, then. (Well, that's what I've read- I've never had that CD-R or anything!)

To be fair I think the most interesting BBC tracks were used on the first Archive box.
    Your question regarding the promo CD-R for the (unreleased) BBC Sessions is spot on, i would know the reason myself!
    I've got a direct copy of that 2CD-R set and the quality of the songs from that session is appalling.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    And in 2021 it'll be 51 years.
    And in 3097 I'll be dead.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Why all the pessimism?

You're just speculating about shit before it happens.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I thought this was the release date for Peter Gabriel's follow-up to UP!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Why all the pessimism?
    Right! By the time Frankie hits that coughin' casket there'll be plenty of apps to allow for threads like this one to follow him into the beyond, whether he wants 'em or not.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I can see why they had that coda for 'Stagnation' at this stage- it does sort of hold it together. To be honest, though, I always thought the closing section starting from 'and will I wait forever...' was far better than what had preceded it. I think that's the first fully great piece of music they released.

Funny, it's the first half of the song, the instrumental section, that is my favorite. But I agree it's their finest piece at this stage.