Thread: Poco- Deliverin' circa 1970

Poco- Deliverin' circa 1970

Pulled this out of the collection for the first time in 20 plus years- the original lineup with Furay and Messina was impressive and basically wrote the blueprint the Eagles used a couple years later to much wider acclaim- check out their version of Furays Buffalo Springfield song "Kind Woman"- Messina killin it on the Telecaster and Rusty Youngs demented pedal steel. One of the definitive live albums of the 70's, now pretty much forgotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OZs_JbEDyY

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Always liked that album.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by bfd View Post
    Pulled this out of the collection for the first time in 20 plus years- the original lineup with Furay and Messina was impressive and basically wrote the blueprint the Eagles used a couple years later to much wider acclaim- check out their version of Furays Buffalo Springfield song "Kind Woman"- Messina killin it on the Telecaster and Rusty Youngs demented pedal steel. One of the definitive live albums of the 70's, now pretty much forgotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OZs_JbEDyY
    Not to mention Timothy B. Schmit ended up in the Eagles.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Absolutely fantastic live album. Better than anything the eagles ever did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always preferred the debut and studio stuff better, but enjoy the band.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Not to mention Timothy B. Schmit ended up in the Eagles.
    Yeah, he replaced Randy Meisner in Poco, then he replaced Randy again in The Eagles.

I remember reading an article on Poco in Relix magazine, I think it was, back in the early 90's. There was a bit where they were talking about how the original lineup go tback together in the late 80's and they made a new album and went on tour. Apparently, for the tour, they decided to play stuff the various band members had done int heir other groups, after they left Poco. So they were doing stuff from The Eagles (probably Take It To The Limit), stuff from Loggins & Messina, etc. And apparently, those songs were actually getting more applause than the actual Poco material was getting!

I also heard a story that a DJ told once, about how he decided to play an entire LP side of Poco one day, while he was on the air. I guess it was the big 18 minute thing that's on their second album, the eponymous one. Anyway, so he puts it on, and he reckons he can take a quick cat nap while it's playing. Well, he went to sleep, and woke up to the sound of someone pounding on the studio door! He apparently overslept, the LP side had ended and there had been several minutes of dead air! Oops!

That was my intro to Poco, one of the first albums I bought without having heard anything by the band. I think I read an ad in Circus magazine that quoted a live review and that was my impetus to get it. They were a staple for me in the 70s and 80s. I only saw them live once, Bicentennial Day in the US, Stills Young Band was the headliner and no opener was listed, but I recall sitting in the stands after the doors opened and thinking Poco would be good to see, and my wish cane true.
    I remember tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yeah, he replaced Randy Meisner in Poco, then he replaced Randy again in The Eagles.

I remember reading an article on Poco in Relix magazine, I think it was, back in the early 90's. There was a bit where they were talking about how the original lineup go tback together in the late 80's and they made a new album and went on tour. Apparently, for the tour, they decided to play stuff the various band members had done int heir other groups, after they left Poco. So they were doing stuff from The Eagles (probably Take It To The Limit), stuff from Loggins & Messina, etc. And apparently, those songs were actually getting more applause than the actual Poco material was getting!

I also heard a story that a DJ told once, about how he decided to play an entire LP side of Poco one day, while he was on the air. I guess it was the big 18 minute thing that's on their second album, the eponymous one. Anyway, so he puts it on, and he reckons he can take a quick cat nap while it's playing. Well, he went to sleep, and woke up to the sound of someone pounding on the studio door! He apparently overslept, the LP side had ended and there had been several minutes of dead air! Oops!
    The big song is "El Tonto De Nadie, Regresa". The BEST Hammond B3 organ solo ever played WITHOUT an organ...LOL. Rusty Young on pedal steel guitar filtered through a Leslie speaker...INCREDIBLE!!!
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

Lovely little retrospective from Rusty Young guaranteed to make you feel old....Paul Cotton elderly, poor Randy Meisner....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MVlrxlX-Zk