Thread: Steve Hackett interview with Mike Tiano

Steve Hackett interview with Mike Tiano

https://somethingelsereviews.com/202...6CjXh17-cW0QFc
    Interesting how folks rewrite history.. "the reason I left the band was because I wasn’t allowed to pursue a solo career whilst I was a member of the band. And I thought, no. Nobody employs me. Nobody owns me. Yeah, I’ve got to be my own secret weapon here."

An interesting interview.Thank you!

He certainly stuck with his theme of questions, didn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Interesting how folks rewrite history.. "the reason I left the band was because I wasn’t allowed to pursue a solo career whilst I was a member of the band. And I thought, no. Nobody employs me. Nobody owns me. Yeah, I’ve got to be my own secret weapon here."
    In this instance, "folks" meaning "Steve"?

That statement from Hackett doesn't really sit well with me -- nor his comments about Genesis after his departure -- but whatever. He's entitled to feel that way if he wants to.

Worst interview ever in the history of prog reporting....seriously, about as interesting as watching grass grow.
    I enjoy interviewers who approach the whole interview thing differently and don't ask the same sameo questions, but a whole thing on reprises and recapitulations?

I got the feeling the interview was much more about the interviewer trying to show everyone how intellectual he thinks he is.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Is that really rewriting history though? I thought that was the reason he left, because he got tired of trying to get his ideas onto albums with them. I also seem to remember that they didn't, in fact, want him to work on solo material (which the other members also did not do until a few years later). Anyway, maybe I'm wrong, it's certainly happened before.

That said, what a terrible interviewer.

Funny as he was the only member to release a solo album prior to 1978. And Mike and Phil both played on it.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Funny as he was the only member to release a solo album prior to 1978. And Mike and Phil both played on it.
    As far as Genesis solo releases, Steve's debut is a fine piece of work. Only rivaled by Gabriel's output (e.g., III, IV, Passion, Up). It's simply a stunning achievement with so many classic tracks. It likely ranks in the top 5 solo releases by the band. I really like Phil's Face Value. That is likely my top five (followed closely by cars by Gabriel).
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    As far as Genesis solo releases, Steve's debut is a fine piece of work. Only rivaled by Gabriel's output (e.g., III, IV, Passion, Up). It's simply a stunning achievement with so many classic tracks. It likely ranks in the top 5 solo releases by the band. I really like Phil's Face Value. That is likely my top five (followed closely by cars by Gabriel).
    Yes I like 'Voyage' a lot too. I suppose I relate mostly to some of Banks' output, such as 5, and of course a lot of Ant Phillips' stuff. But 'Voyage' is excellent. Funny I always suspected 'The Lovers' was the beautiful oboe melody of 'The Hermit' backwards. But never guessed the same thing was done with 'Matilda Smith...' being a backwards melody from 'Camino Royale'.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Worst interview ever in the history of prog reporting....seriously, about as interesting as watching grass grow.
    I enjoy interviewers who approach the whole interview thing differently and don't ask the same sameo questions, but a whole thing on reprises and recapitulations?

I got the feeling the interview was much more about the interviewer trying to show everyone how intellectual he thinks he is.
    I kinda have to agree. And the part about how he stopped listening to Genesis eventually and became just a Steve Hackett fan.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Yes I like 'Voyage' a lot too. I suppose I relate mostly to some of Banks' output, such as 5, and of course a lot of Ant Phillips' stuff. But 'Voyage' is excellent. Funny I always suspected 'The Lovers' was the beautiful oboe melody of 'The Hermit' backwards. But never guessed the same thing was done with 'Matilda Smith...' being a backwards melody from 'Camino Royale'.
    Yikes, I forgot the mention the sublime work of Anthony Phillips and of course Tony Banks, love all the orchestrated works. Curious Feelings is also strong, I'm still exploring the rest of his catalog.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    In this instance, "folks" meaning "Steve"?

That statement from Hackett doesn't really sit well with me -- nor his comments about Genesis after his departure -- but whatever. He's entitled to feel that way if he wants to.
    This is a section of the wiki for Wind and Wuthering:

Hackett requested time to do another solo album before recording Wind & Wuthering, but was denied. He suggested ideas like dividing the song credits evenly so all four members had an equal number of songs on the album and bringing in outside musicians, which received a cold reception from the other members. He found himself arguing with the band as he felt his ideas were rejected in favour of material that Banks, in particular, had put forward. Having already released his first solo album, Voyage of the Acolyte, Hackett requested the band use more of his musical ideas on Wind & Wuthering. Banks ended up with six writing credits on the album's nine tracks, more than any other member. Collins spoke of Hackett's request: "We just wanted to use what we agreed was the strongest material, irrespective of who wrote it". He later said he did like Hackett's songs, but just thought Banks won the popular vote with the band. Hackett was not interested in writing shorter and simpler songs, and felt "the wackiness was being toned down".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_%26_Wuthering

Banned

Yes, that was a surprise. Once you've been told, you can kind of play it back mentally, but I would never have figured it out.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin