Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gosta Berlings Saga- Glue Works

Gosta Berlings Saga- Glue Works

Man, I just can't get enough of this album! I discovered this band with their first album and this 3rd release didn't totally grab me at first. Now, I find it to be head-and-shoulders above the previous two. An almost perfect disc for me; and each spin makes me relive their superlative NF performance.

Looking forward to new material in the not-so-distant future! (Steve?)
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I love this album too. I didn't go the NEARFest, but picked it up from the buzz around here afterward. I find it a particularly high quality instrumental album. I hope there's more from them too.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

The live version of "Island", with Matthias of Anglagard joining them on stage, was the high point of the 4 NFs I attended. I literally had goose bumps!

hi Yves

lots of information on their facebook page. Not all of it good. Not all of it bad.

BAD:
    "GBS Disaster Summary #1, 2013: In Dec 2011 we had a break-in and lost stuff worth thousands of dollars. A few months later we were flooded by cockroaches and had to sanitate the whole studio. A month ago our www account was disabled by the hosting company as our Wordpress installation had been infected by malicious code. And two weeks ago our studio was flooded again, but this time by water - destroying the record sleeves for all remaining DHH LPs but 50 of them. Wohoo!"

GOOD:
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

The album doesn't really grab me - most of the tunes seem to consist of one good idea repeated over and over - but these guys are killer live. That kind of writing works much better on stage than on record, at least for me.

I love this album. They were one of my favorites at NEARFest.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    The album doesn't really grab me - most of the tunes seem to consist of one good idea repeated over and over - but these guys are killer live. That kind of writing works much better on stage than on record, at least for me.

I respect your opinion as always John, but I love that sort of hypnotic cadence. I guess that's why I'm such a fan of the stoner genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    The album doesn't really grab me - most of the tunes seem to consist of one good idea repeated over and over - but these guys are killer live.
    That's just what I felt -I loved the first two albums and was really looking forward to this, but the paucity of ideas on this leaves me very frustrated when I listen to it. They just come up with a riff and repeat it over and over with just a gradual build up of volume or some slight textural change. I find it works best if its just on in the background while I'm doing something else -listening too intently only reveals its shortcomings.

Great album when I'm in a hypnotic cadence mood, like driving at night.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

For me Detta Har Haant is still setting the bar. Love that Fem Trappour!

I am in the-best-they-ever-did-camp. Of course there is a lot of repetition but it works wonderfully for me. Take "island'; based on one or two riffs but the build up, the tension and intensity make it an ultimate listening trip.

Glue works doesn't bore me for one single second.

So far they've made three records and they all three sound different. I am looking forward to what they come up with next.

Sadly, put me in the "doesn't grab me" camp, basically for the reasons mentioned (too much repetition of material and too little interesting material to my ears). Also, I really dislike the last track on Glue Works, which unfortunately dominates the album in length. I'm glad it's connecting with others, because I really am a fan of this band and want them to succeed, but Glue Works just missed the mark for me.

My favorite of theirs is actually the debut. There is some of that "hypnotic repetition" stuff on that album, but to me the idea the hit on there to repeat was much stronger and the album is better balanced overall, not to mention chock full of fantastic and memorable ideas. I like Detta Har Haant a lot too, but the debut really knocks me out. Hoping the new one is more in line with their earlier stuff, but they'll do what they do.

Bill

I have a nod for Detta Har Haant.I haven't yet heard first one.Repetitve,isn't that life itself.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    This is my first album by them, so I didn't have an expectation set by the previous albums. When a person here described the music as "a zeuhl rhythm section with post-rock guitar" I was expecting the band to jam out on a groove. This, I think, is what others experience as too repetitive. I was surprised at how immediately accessible I found it, and yet it has held up to multiple listens.

I liked Glue Works so much I would have picked up the previous album, but it wasn't available at the time.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I love all three albums I have from these guys!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I like repetitive.

Great band.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpicturekeys View Post
    I agree i think their second one is a masterpiece but i also think Glue Works is great(better than the debut imo).
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Great stuff. Thanks for reminding us Yves.

Loved the band at Nearfest but this was a case of live is better for me. Bought the album and after about 5 spins, I sent it off to Mexico.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I like repetitive.

Great band.
    I like repetitive.

Great band.
    Chad

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Well played Sir.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    I agree i think their second one is a masterpiece but i also think Glue Works is great(better than the debut imo).
    + 1. I like all three, and I think there's a sort of natural evolution into what they have become. They are kids of both the post- and retro-rock generations, and this manifests itself almost perfectly in their didactic.

Interestingly, there are (were?) some very few other current bands who belong to the exact same generation and execute a vaguely reminiscent ideal, although obviously with quite different end results; The Future Kings of England, Guapo, NeBeLNeST and Tarantula Hawk come to mind. I really enjoy all of these groups immensely, something about a sense of "avant-psych transgression", I think.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Hoping the new one is more in line with their earlier stuff, but they'll do what they do.
    That's unlikely to happen. Matthias Danielsson, the guitarist on the first album, had a large influence that's no longer there.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    + 1. I like all three, and I think there's a sort of natural evolution into what they have become. They are kids of both the post- and retro-rock generations, and this manifests itself almost perfectly in their didactic.

Absolutely. I heard Glue Works first and absolutely loved it. Going back to the two earlier albums and it's clear to see a well-planned, but organic evolution into what they are doing now. The building repetition is just perfect for what they do. Early on you could see links to classic Swedish bands like Kebnekaise, and a more riff-based repetition. Now they really build songs in layers, using more space to slowly build to a pretty intense level.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpicturekeys View Post
    I'm with you on this one. Here are two clips from the album for everyone to hear:

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    That's unlikely to happen. Matthias Danielsson, the guitarist on the first album, had a large influence that's no longer there.
    He is/was in Makajodama and My Brother the Wind - both bands are worth following.