Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saw Queensryche / John 5 / Eve To Adam Last Week

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post

He made the right choice, but I guess his bag of smart choices has been used up. Are these "latter" albums worth listening to? If I listen to QR now, its always parts of Op-Mindcrime - I just cant take the brunt of that full album... Its just so friggin' dark.
    By Latter, do you mean the 3 they have done with LaTorre, or the later albums that they did with Tate (or both?)? The interesting thing to me is the last Queensryche album they did before the split "Dedicated To Chaos" was absolutely dreadful. By far the worst album they have ever done IMO. After the band split, both the albums from Tate's Queensryche and the LaTorre Queensryche were light years better, so they obviously had it in them, but just could not do it together I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by txprog View Post
    I saw Tate perform with Avantasia in Munich in December. He sounded great, and while he does have the reputation of being a jerk, chronicles of his months on the road last year with Avantasia suggest the opposite.

He seemed poised and comfortable, well accepted by his band mates. Perhaps being just a part of a larger ensemble rather than the leader made a difference.

And quite frankly, I don't think Tobias Sammet would tolerate an arrogant jerk among his ranks.
    Tate's band is really good. I would go see them again if they came close.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Were you in Myth? IIRC, that's Geoff's pre-QR band. Randy, the keyboardist, and Kelly, the guitarist, are in Geoff's current band.
    Yodelgoat was in Jaugernaut

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JAUGERNAUT-...IAAOSwwbdWGZHY

However, he may have been referring to an earlier band.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Tate's band is really good. I would go see them again if they came close.
    Here's Tate performing with Avantasia at Munich show I was at:

Were you in Myth? IIRC, that's Geoff's pre-QR band. Randy, the keyboardist, and Kelly, the guitarist, are in Geoff's current band.
    Myth? Wow. I can't believe that anyone that didn't live on the Eastside or Seattle knew about them. I first saw Geoff in '78 when he played in a local cover band called Tyrant (with Adam Brenner). They did tons of killer old school hard rock songs. Scorpions- Pictured Life, Pat Travers' Getting Betta, Rainbow- Man on the..., etc

No DeGarmo, no Queensryche!

The stories we were hearing of Geoff's behavior when the rest of the band split were pretty awful as I recall. I have read that Chris DeGarmo is now a commercial pilot and is happy doing that. I listened to Promised Land recently after our OP mentioned it on Facebook, that's the last truly great album (Tribe had some moments).
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The eons are closing
    PL was one of first albums recorded entirely in Alesis ADAT machines

I like PL alot, but the absence of actual metal is a downer.
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Promised Land hasn't aged well. I never listen to it. That's when I started listening to a lot more Fates Warning.

QR just got worse till they split with Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Myth? Wow. I can't believe that anyone that didn't live on the Eastside or Seattle knew about them. I first saw Geoff in '78 when he played in a local cover band called Tyrant (with Adam Brenner). They did tons of killer old school hard rock songs. Scorpions- Pictured Life, Pat Travers' Getting Betta, Rainbow- Man on the..., etc
    I used to hang on a QR forum and got more insights into the guys' pre-QR days. The owner of the site was a real fanboy (not in a good way). If you tried to debate him on anything, he banned you.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yodelgoat was in Jaugernaut

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JAUGERNAUT-...IAAOSwwbdWGZHY

However, he may have been referring to an earlier band.
    Oh Yes, this was prior to my Jaugernaut days. It was just a cover band - My claim to fame is I heard Geoff Tate sing "Games people Play" by Alan Parsons... Classic.

I should add that he wasnt around for long, maybe a couple weeks. I have lost track of how long it was between his leaving and showing up in QR. Any memories from my early 20's seems like its all mushed together, so it could have been a year between, I just dont remember. I did occasionally see him post fame, at David Kyle's studio ( we had the same vocal coach later..)
    Last edited by Yodelgoat; 02-21-2020 at 07:38 PM. Reason: afterthought.
    I got nothin'

...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

live samples:
    https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/yod...om-a-live-show
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/PapaYode...=page_internal

Promised Land hasn't aged well. I never listen to it. That's when I started listening to a lot more Fates Warning.

QR just got worse till they split with Geoff.
    I still really enjoy "Promised Land" and actually rate it above "Empire". It was definitely the last really good album until LaTorre came along.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I still really enjoy "Promised Land" and actually rate it above "Empire". It was definitely the last really good album until LaTorre came along.
    Really? IMO, "Best I Can" alone is better than Promised Land.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Oh Yes, this was prior to my Jaugernaut days. It was just a cover band - My claim to fame is I heard Geoff Tate sing "Games people Play" by Alan Parsons... Classic.

I should add that he wasnt around for long, maybe a couple weeks. I have lost track of how long it was between his leaving and showing up in QR. Any memories from my early 20's seems like its all mushed together, so it could have been a year between, I just dont remember. I did occasionally see him post fame, at David Kyle's studio ( we had the same vocal coach later..)
    Was that during his "Jeff Waterfall" phase?

Sounds like Tate has been a long-time sufferer of "lead singer syndrome"
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart