Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New vinyl is about to get a whole lot more expensive!

New vinyl is about to get a whole lot more expensive!

For those of you into reissues and new releases on vinyl, buy now, don't put it off. Prices are going to go up, a lot, with no end in sight. Waits for new releases will get much longer, also.

There are only 2 companies in the entire world that produce lacquers used in the cutting of vinyl, one in Japan, the other in Banning, California (Apollo/Transco Masters). The one in Banning, that makes 75% of the world's supply, was a complete loss in a fire on 2/06.

The Japanese company made a statement, that they will not be accepting new clients, or tooling up to increase production. They have been operating at peak capacity for quite a few years.

Apollo is also the only manufacturer for cutting styli for Westrex cutting heads. So, anyone cutting on Westrex machines, lost their source.

Once the backsock of blank lacquers around the world is gone, who knows what will happen.

This is a real disaster for the vinyl market, with unknown consequences.

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news...ed/4737599002/

https://www.analogplanet.com/content...ansco-disaster
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Oh the humanity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's definitely sad news, but I think that to some degree it's being blown out of proportion.

https://blog.discogs.com/en/why-the-...n-vinylgeddon/

More labels are cutting DMM than you realize. The labels that will be seriously affected are the audiophile imprints. Many of the pressing plants such as RTI and QRP have an inventory of lacquers so there won't be a shortage immediately. Good chance that labels will shift to DMM.

Long term there needs to be a solution. Pretty safe to assume other companies will enter the market, perhaps with new formulations and technology.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Long term there needs to be a solution.
    Maybe Compact Discs will come back

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    OK with me!

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    More labels are cutting DMM than you realize. The labels that will be seriously affected are the audiophile imprints. Many of the pressing plants such as RTI and QRP have an inventory of lacquers so there won't be a shortage immediately. Good chance that labels will shift to DMM.

Long term there needs to be a solution. Pretty safe to assume other companies will enter the market, perhaps with new formulations and technology.
    Maybe other companies will get involved but to get up and running will take some time. Wonder if this will effect vinyl that's already on store shelves?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Wonder if this will effect vinyl that's already on store shelves?
    It shouldn't, but probably will. Just like when the price of crude oil increases and you see it reflected the next day at the pumps, even though it takes weeks to truly impact the retail price. Of course, when the price of crude goes down, you don't see that at the pumps the next day.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    It shouldn't, but probably will. Just like when the price of crude oil increases and you see it reflected the next day at the pumps, even though it takes weeks to truly impact the retail price. Of course, when the price of crude goes down, you don't see that at the pumps the next day.
    I used to work in the oil industry in geo science and you are correct. Strange. Ron, I was taking my time about getting new vinyl I wanted but now, well, who knows. Think I'll go ahead and pick up a few things in short order.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    NO!!!

I am scoring so many great CDs (especially jazz and classical), for next to nothing.

I've added so many late 20th century and contemporary classical CD's to my connection in the last couple of years for under $5 each.

Last thing I want, is for them to become popular again.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

I need to bulk up on classical CD's - if they are cheap now. I lost a ton of my CD's - I'm not sure how. The kids raided the rock stuff, but Classical??? dunno what happened there.

It would seem the industry is in for a shellacking.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Looks like the revolution is over.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    I am scoring so many great CDs ... Last thing I want, is for them to become popular again.
    Me too. Used prices are generally $5 now, half of what they were five years ago. But I credit that to the popularity of streaming, and the consequent diminishing of the market for hard product.

It’s a golden time to be collecting music.

Must you needle us?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

You misspelled “fad.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Must you needle us?
    Sorry, man, I'm in a bit of a groove.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I C wot U did there

I always laugh when I read the predictions (or announcements) of the demise of vinyl here. The wishing, the hoping, on the part of those making the predictions is so palpably thick that you can cut it with a knife. Yet, for all the hopes and wishes, there's never fulfillment.

You guys must have blue balls the size of houses.

^ Some of these articles seem to assume that DMM doesn’t exist and there’s only one way all records in the world are made, or that no one will step in to fill the void left by Apollo should they not start back production.

Ramifications, sure. But the demise of vinyl? Color me skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I always laugh when I read the predictions (or announcements) of the demise of vinyl here. The wishing, the hoping, on the part of those making the predictions is so palpably thick that you can cut it with a knife. Yet, for all the hopes and wishes, there's never fulfillment.
    And yet, there were only two places in the world to get a lacquer made. And one of them just burned to the ground.

Is the vinyl market strong enough for somebody to invest in creating a new one? Or maybe, as Ken predicts, other means of mastering will take over? Only time will tell. I actually hope physical product does not disappear, despite worrying sales figures. But nobody's going to rescue the industry out of nostalgia. It must make good business sense.

I will keep my gatefold point of view.

Of course, when the price of crude goes down, you don't see that at the pumps the next day.
    Actually, price changes downward pretty quickly. Look at the connection between crude oil and gasoline prices:

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/...uctuations.php

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Must you needle us?
    Good point!
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama