Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Big Train Montréal-why so little promotion

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

Big Big Train Montréal-why so little promotion

I am so excited to be seeing BBT in Montreal in May! Ticket sales seem sluggish in comparison to the NJ show and I see absolutely nothing about the show on my go-to site for Montréal shows, Prog Montréal. Anyone know what’s up with that seemingly glaring omission? I’m hoping the band gets a good turnout and am curious as to the lack of publicity via Robert’s usually excellent site (Progmontreal.com)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    When is it and where?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Corona Theatre May 12.
    About to suggest adding the 5/8 Pendragon show to our plans to my wife!

I contacted Robert and he will be adding the show on his ProgMontreal site.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I contacted Robert and he will be adding the show on his ProgMontreal site.
    I forgot about this site! Seems you are good pals with the one who runs it because he (Bob) is giving away tickets for Stick men on April 8th. I'm from Montreal and moved to Halifax.

When I booked to travel from Halifax to Montreal in April, Stick men had not been announced because I had to hustle months ago for Elton John and recently added Flower Kings!
    But I'm not sure if I can extend my stay. I last saw Stick men in San Francisco opening for Neal Morse Band (2017) and they were awesome, lots of Crimson material performed live with dual Chapman stick.

Also, I would have known about the Big Big train/IZZ show, I would had not made plans for Pendragon in Quebec but am still going to see Nick Barrett's band in May.

Stick Men, that should be awesome! might go at this concert

I only know Robert from Nearfests and FMPM. I'm not sure he's too familar with BBT as here's what he posted on ProgMontreal:

The renowned prog band Big Big Train will make a stop in Montreal as part of their North-American tour on Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at the Théâtre Corona (2490 Notre-Dame West, Montreal), with special guest IZZ.

Big Big Train is an English progressive rock band that was founded in 1990. Based in Bournemouth, England, the core band members are songwriter Gregory Spawton and producer Andy Poole.

Their first album, Goodbye To The Age of Steam was released in 1994 and was co-produced by Martin Orford of IQ. Age of Steam established the typical melancholy BBT sound influenced by progressive rock from the mid and early 1970s.

After two releases which were slightly more commercially orientated, BBT went back to their roots in 2004 and released a concept album called Gathering Speed. This album featured layers of 12-string guitar and Mellotron and also hints at a growing post rock influence. Whilst arguably more derivative than some of their earlier releases, Gathering Speed was a very assured album and was critically well received.

With a new singer, Sean Filkins, and with Steve Hughes back on drums after stints with The Enid and Kino, BBT have recently released their fifth album, The Difference Machine, which features performances from Nick D'Virgilio (Spock's Beard, Genesis, Tears for Fears); Dave Meros (Spock's Beard) and Pete Trewavas (Marillion, Transatlantic, Kino)."

I don't want to be a pain in his ass but I asked him to update the info posted, as folks will want to know that NDV, Rikard S. and Dave Gregory are with the band! Maybe one of the Montreal contingent (Yves?) could follow up with Robert? I just want to help put tuchesses in the seats!

I am also trying to convince my wife that we need to see Pendragon on May 8 in Montreal since we'll be in town for BBT!

Does anyone know how ticket sales are going? I must admit, that I wouldn't be surprised if the Toronto show the night before, will be challenged to sell enough tickets. I mean, $80 a ticket in a standing venue for a band that even many prog fans might not have heard of...but, I remain optimistic the tour and shows will be a success.

neil

Looks like about 100 seats sold at Corona in Montreal, lots still available

Ember
    None of thee dates are being promoted at all, other than by the contemporary equivalent of word-of-mouth. It's arguable whether there's a means of paid mass-media promotion that wouldn't just waste money, but there has to be something! Apparently the New Jersey Sunday date sold the most tickets so far -- 450, maybe? -- and inspired adding a second night, but that one has barely cracked 100 yet.

BBT seems to be a bit naive about the need for promotion of some kind. For example, I've bought most of my BBT media from Burning Shed. I live in the USA, only about 90 minutes from the NJ venue. One might expect I would be the perfect target for an email notification that the band was appearing near me. But no, I never would have known if I weren't a reader of this group and a follower of BBT's Facebook page.

Doing everything independently has its drawbacks, apparently. Someone mentioned that The Pineapple Thief and Steven Wilson seem do do OK touring in the US, but at least they have KScope providing some promotional knowhow, and they book through experienced promoters who know how to get into fans' social media feeds and other on-screen media. BBT is booking these dates themselves.

BBT has been my favorite band for the past several years, and the opportunity to see them here in the US seems almost miraculous. I would have traveled much farther than 80 miles, and getting to see them play two different sets over two nights, in an intimate venue with great seats, makes me feel like a Make A Wish kid.

But it will be painful to see them play to a mostly empty room. I've been in this situation before (I suppose we all have) and it's embarrassing. You want to be part of a sort of triumph, an acknowledgement of greatness. The taint of failure is distasteful.

How can this be turned around?

Robert from ProgMontreal informed me he will update the listing on his site. Not sure what else we can do to spread the good word.

Don't promote Big Big Train, I much prefer to see this band with few people attending, it will be more intimate...

Quote Originally Posted by jarmsuh View Post
    Don't promote Big Big Train, I much prefer to see this band with few people attending, it will be more intimate...
    Yeah, the band doesn't need to make money from touring. Starving artists are cooler anyway.
    And it's all about you, after all.

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by jarmsuh View Post
    Perhaps you would prefer “tour canceled due to poor ticket sales?”

I'm assuming the ..., of jarmsuh post is an indication that he's joking?

neil

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'd so like to go but I'm going to Terra Incognita in Quebec City - The Friday after the show. Still....would love to go.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post

neil
    Or not...
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Or not.

neil

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post

neil
    He could have used an emoticon, but that might deny some their daily dose of butthurt...

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Or not...
    Sorry about that bad joke! I didn't think of a possible tour canceled! It would be awful. I hope that sales go up before the show...

Ember
    I'm just hoping that international travel is still even happening in May.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    I'm just hoping that international travel is still even happening in May.
    It is now and I don't know why it should not go on.

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    It is now and I don't know why it should not go on.
    Because when a pandemic is officially declared, travel restrictions become more strict. And the US is especially fond of travel restrictions these days.

I do have to wonder how many are going to be excited about getting on a cruise ship these days.
    <sig out of order>