Thread: Lee Pomeroy

Lee Pomeroy

Why does he string his bass upside-down?

Some lefty players do that for various reasons. One being, you can always grab a righty guitar/bass and just flip it over. Jimmy Haslip (ex-Yellowjackets) does the same.

^^As does Mono Neon, of Ghost Note, and he is an absolute monster.

neil

Ive seen this before, but didnt notice the strings... cool, but yeah, seems like a lot of extra practice required.

So nobody else will touch his bass!

If I were to guess, as a lefty he simply learned to play by flipping over a right handed instrument. Since that's how he learned, he now strings his lefty instruments that way. But that just my guess, I have no idea. I've never seen anyone else do this.

Bill

Yeah, we actually discussed this a little bit when Dick Dale died.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

If I were to guess, as a lefty he simply learned to play by flipping over a right handed instrument. Since that's how he learned, he now strings his lefty instruments that way. But that just my guess, I have no idea. I've never seen anyone else do this.

Bill
    He started to learn to play on his brother's guitar, who is righty. Brother didn't want him playing his guitar, so he snuck in learning time while his brother was out of the house and didn't switch the strings so he wouldn't get caught.
    I remember tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Ten Thumbs View Post
    He started to learn to play on his brother's guitar, who is righty. Brother didn't want him playing his guitar, so he snuck in learning time while his brother was out of the house and didn't switch the strings so he wouldn't get caught.
    My guess was right, makes total sense.

I thought he does it to be "more prog".

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I thought he does it to be "more prog".
    Max prog is playing bass with your toes whilst simultaneously soloing on oboe.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Ten Thumbs View Post
    He should have made it easy on himself and learned to play in standard position. I'll never understand why so many left-handed guitarists/bassists think they need to use a backwards instrument. Other instrumentalists don't do that. Lefty violinists don't bow with the left hand; there are no backwards pianos or saxophones with reversed keywork for southpaws. There's no particular advantage in having your dominant hand doing the picking and your weak hand doing the fretting. Some even think that if anything, it should be the other way around--that certainly worked out for Mr. Fripp and Mr. Wetton, both lefties.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    He should have made it easy on himself and learned to play in standard position. I'll never understand why so many left-handed guitarists/bassists think they need to use a backwards instrument. Other instrumentalists don't do that. Lefty violinists don't bow with the left hand; there are no backwards pianos or saxophones with reversed keywork for southpaws. There's no particular advantage in having your dominant hand doing the picking and your weak hand doing the fretting. Some even think that if anything, it should be the other way around--that certainly worked out for Mr. Fripp and Mr. Wetton, both lefties.
    Couldn't agree more. When I was learning, I wished I was using my dominant hand for fretting. It certainly would have been no harder, and had I been a lefty I'm guessing it would have been easier. So it's an interesting question.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Other instrumentalists don't do that. Lefty violinists don't bow with the left hand; there are no backwards pianos or saxophones with reversed keywork for southpaws.
    Turns out there actually are left-handed violins, and at least one left-handed saxophone and a left-handed piano.

But I take your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

Bill
    Well, here's another one for you, Bill. Amazing live band, btw. Mono Neon also used to play with Prince. His skills are inhuman, and only hinted at, on this video.

neil

Its interesting because it shows that you can play great bass lines and achieve the same result with the strings the other way around. When I first saw Lee with Wakeman years ago I was amazed by this. I still struggle to play it the right way up!

This Danish jazz-blues guitarist Uffe Steen is a lefty with the strings mounted 'upside down'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov5P4XIXY3w

Lee is an awesome musician. He played with Hackett for several tours as the “Michael Rutherford,’ playing lots of 12/4 double-check. His version of "The Fish" on the first ARW tourwasingenius. He used his Kemper Profiler to loop/overdub each bass part just like the album version. Does he play in any bands playing original music?

Why is still typing on an iPad after over 10 years of product development nor ergonomic and still no delete forward button or cursor arrows to place the cursor to correct the Ipad not registering letters despite the fact that the letter is touched on the keypad? And why am I ranting a .5 world problem here?
    Last edited by Adinfinitum; 02-21-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    Does he play in any bans playing original music?
    He's Rick Wakeman's bassist, i.e. he's in the English Rock Ensemble.

He was in the John Mitchell version of It Bites. I don't know much about them, he might have been with them earlier?

When here with Three Friends, he took the 64 Precision I had, said "no problem", flipped it around, and played the gig

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    He's Rick Wakeman's bassist, i.e. he's in the English Rock Ensemble.
    He's been Take That's bassist for a few years now, both studio and live. Went to see It Bite's once and he arrived driving Gary Barlow's customised limo.

Does everyone realise Lee is the long time bass player in Take That?

He played at the Queens 92nd birthday party too!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Orcopian
    He is also in the band Headspace With Damian Wilson they have had 2 albums on the inside out label. I have seen Lee many times in small venues with bands like it bites and also with Jem Godfrey of Frost, so it’s always amusing when he appears on mainstream tv with take that or ELO (which happens often In the uk). My wife is well tired of my ‘I saw him when’ comments.
    Last edited by Orcopian; 02-24-2020 at 11:24 AM.