Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Steve Howe Album

New Steve Howe Album

From facebook today.

My new solo album is titled LOVE IS.

It’s an equal balance of guitar instrumentals and songs, which presents a symmetric balance of the things I do.

I perform the lead vocals, electric, acoustic & steel guitars
    plus occasional keyboards, percussion and bass guitar on the instrumentals.

I’m delighted to say that Jon "Juano" Davison of Yes sings harmony vocals and plays bass guitar on the songs, too. Dylan Howe drums on every track, showing his precision and forcefulness throughout.

After starting all the tracks at our own studio, Curtis Schwartz then expanded the possibilities--including recording Dylan--and developed the mixes before Simon Heyworth mastered the tunes for it’s release on the 17th April 2020 on BMG.

I look forward to sharing the album art once it's ready.

Cheers!

Steve Howe
    London
    16 February 2020

Not using Roger Dean for this one...

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    I perform the lead vocals, ...
    Oh dear...

Good news, the next best thing to a Yes album!

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Oh dear...
    Don't worry - I'm sure that's just a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Oh dear...
    Does Howe really not know how bad his voice is?! Boggles the mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I'm sure some serious auto-tune will be used.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I'm sure some serious auto-tune will be used.
    Not sure the technology is that advanced yet. He might as well dub it with another voice.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Historically, on albums where he sings, some of the instrumentals are particularly good (eg Maiden Voyage, Nature of the Sea). So I'm hopeful for some gems on this one!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Not sure the technology is that advanced yet. He might as well dub it with another voice.
    Jon’s? ��

One can hope Jon Davison's 'harmony vocals' is extensive. A bad voice can make a well written song sound poorly written.

Having said that, I've always loved 'Pleasure Stole The Night' and even like his voice in that song for some reason. Makes me wonder how amazing the whole Beginnings album could have been with a beautiful voice.
    Last edited by bill g; 02-18-2020 at 05:25 PM.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    I perform the lead vocals

Hmm. It was showing up earlier. Let me try again.

Dagnabbit. Apparently you can't hot-link https://memestatic1.fjcdn.com/thumbn...e4ed18a58b.gif
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 02-21-2020 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    He doesn't seem to know how sub-par his version of Yes is at the moment, so probably not. As another pointed out though, there are some wonderful instrumental passages on Beginnings despite the woeful vocals. Australia, however, is the exception where the lead voice is so bad it almost works. Kicking song otherwise.

One can be a very good vocalist without having a very good singing voice. From what I've heard, Steve Howe is neither.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Did Steve scowl and point and gesture wildly at the producer and engineer on the other side of the glass throughout the recording of this album?
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I'd say Howe does do a decent job of harmonizing. Its possible even if he can't solo. I myself have been told I was 'not bad' at harmonizing and I know my voice sucks giant hippo balls. But yeah, why he insists on singing I'll never know. He's ruined a good many of his songs that way.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Did Steve scowl and point and gesture wildly at the producer and engineer on the other side of the glass throughout the recording of this album?
    You mean when he wasn't threatening to kick someone in the head?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I'd say Howe does do a decent job of harmonizing. Its possible even if he can't solo.
    That's a good point. I've always felt Yes did a pretty good job of using his voice for harmonies.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That's a good point. I've always felt Yes did a pretty good job of using his voice for harmonies.
    They did! Wondrous Stories comes to mind, as well as some of the tracks on Tales and Close to the Edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    They did! Wondrous Stories comes to mind, as well as some of the tracks on Tales and Close to the Edge.
    The live version of "The Order of the Universe" decidedly does not come in mind. You've been warned.

Yeah, in a weird way, his vocal harmonizing works within YES. As a solo voice, it's horrific

Howe is not a great vocalist, but he has in recent years worked on improving his solo singing voice. He went to lessons! His live solo performances have, I think, shown an improvement compared to several years ago.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    The live version of "The Order of the Universe" decidedly does not come in mind. You've been warned.
    Wasn't there an ABWH video where Bruford briefly sang a bit of that? (I think I rented it about 30 years ago. Can't find it online, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Howe is not a great vocalist, but he has in recent years worked on improving his solo singing voice. He went to lessons! His live solo performances have, I think, shown an improvement compared to several years ago.

Henry
    Those recent years were the early 90's when he sung on The Grand Scheme of Things. His voice may have worsened since then

I actually don't hate his voice as some do, at least in some songs. I, however, am not a fan of 'Order of the Universe', although enjoy other tracks on ABWH. I thought Beautiful Ideas was quite nice. I do wish he would have let Jon Davison tackle lead vocals though.