Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2020 NCAA Men's Basketball

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    And the Buckeyes are gone, weeeeeeeeh
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    That game was insane ! Listened to it on the radio and the Westwood One announcers were going nuts ... incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    This is me exactly.
    + 1

I'm a casual Buckeye hoops fan, so it kinda hurt to see them lose today. On the other hand, I do so love to see the underdogs shine.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    The madness is officially here. Pretty good first slate thus far.

And it depends on the underdog for me. I'm not going to root for a team that I don't like (or one that I don't care about if they are playing a team I care about) just because they are an underdog. Obviously, MM is a little different, as the more top seeds taken out, especially in a certain region, will help the teams I picked to win it all (assuming they aren't the ones being upset of course), so it's really a roller coaster of rooting interests for me each year.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Jekyll and Hyde team, Hyde shows up today. Any time you have 5 guys on the floor, but only 2 of them have good offensive capabilities, you're not going far.

I saw something I've never seen in the Cleveland St-Houston game. Houston nailed a 3, and while the ball was in the air, one of their big men was fouled by a CSU player. Instead of an And 1, they got an And 2.

Wtf?

Since I live in Michigan, no one here is mourning the OSU loss. Has been a good day so far. I am in first place in all 3 brackets I am entered in.

^ Overall, the highly rated B1G is taking a beating. It's only the first day.

In hindsight, I realize I didn't pick a single 2/15 upset, even though it seems it almost always happens. Not sure I would have picked that particular one, though. Overall I picked 13/16 games, which is pretty good for my non-betting, non-scientific "system". For instance, I picked UNT over Purdue because of the greatness of the North Texas School of Music. Anyway, two B1G single-digit seeds down, but they still went 3-2 on that side of the bracket, and one team in each quad of the sweet sixteen is still a possibility, so I'm happy. On to today's madness!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Overall, the highly rated B1G is taking a beating. It's only the first day.
    Agree, i never would have protected either OSU or Purdue getting beat.

Yeah baby! My alma mater knocks off the defending national champions!

WOOHOOOOOOO!!!

GO BOBCATS!!!!!!!
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Yeah baby! My alumni knocks off the defending national champions!

WOOHOOOOOOO!!!

GO BOBCATS!!!!!!!
    That was an awesome game congrats!

WOOHOOOOOOO!!!

GO BOBCATS!!!!!!!
    I did not have them in my brackets, but I always root for the MAC. Great win for the Bobcats tonight.

^ Yeah, nice to see for sure, but doesn't assuage the Buckeyes loss for me.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Oregon advances thanks to the virus.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Texas loses to Abilene Christian, wow !

Some amazing games and finishes so far! My West bracket is still intact, but I definitely didn't see a couple of those upsets coming. By my count there are still 9 double-digit seeds alive, which is pretty cool.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I went to be too early last night. I did not see either Texas or BYU loosing, so those were surprises this morning.

WOOHOOOOOOO!!!

GO BOBCATS!!!!!!!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Illinois is struggling against Loyola of Chicago 48-36 11:05 left in the game.[Illini lose i'm toast in my brackets]

I saw something I've never seen in the Cleveland St-Houston game. Houston nailed a 3, and while the ball was in the air, one of their big men was fouled by a CSU player. Instead of an And 1, they got an And 2.

Wtf?
    If someone other than the shooter was fouled was it a one and one or an intentional two shot foul.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

^ Yeah, nice to see for sure, but doesn't assuage the Buckeyes loss for me.
    I would say the same if this was football.

In basketball, however, OU & OSU have equal billing for me. But if they ever met in the NCAA tourney, I'd root for OU... probably.

And being in this part of the country, I'd also root for Dayton (who's only 30 miles from me), Cincy, Miami, and Xavier, probably in that order.

I remember back in '12, Ohio, OSU, Cincy, and Xavier all made it to the Sweet 16. That was the first time a state had four teams make it to the S16 at the same time. That was so cool. That was also the year Ohio beat *ichigan in the first round.

And then in '14, Dayton upset OSU in the first round. They ended up in the Elite 8 that year. In fact, Dayton has made it to the S16 four times, the E8 twice, and, in 1967, the final game which they lost to UCLA. They also made it to the NIT 25x and won 3.

Speaking of Dayton, does anyone know why it was chosen to host the "First Four" round?

-----

I was looking over stats on the tournament and found that OSU went to the final game three years in row ('60-'62). The first year they won the national title against Cal with the team that included Jerry Lucas and John Havlicek (and Bobby Knight). The next two appearances they were beaten by Cincinnati, who went to the Final Four five times consecutively ('59-'63), and the final game three times consecutively ('61-'63). They lost the third to Loyola.

Falling down the rabbit hole, I also ran across this funny story:

Associated Press - Oct 20, 2005

OKLAHOMA CITY -- A man got a prison term longer than prosecutors and defense attorneys had agreed to because of Larry Bird.

The lawyers reached a plea agreement Tuesday for a 30-year term for a man accused of shooting with an intent to kill and robbery. But Eric James Torpy wanted his prison term to match Bird's jersey number 33.

"He said if he was going to go down, he was going to go down in Larry Bird's jersey," Oklahoma County District Judge Ray Elliott said Wednesday. "We accommodated his request and he was just as happy as he could be.

"I've never seen anything like this in 26 years in the courthouse. But, I know the DA is happy about it."
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Watching Loyola vs. Illinois.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Wow Loyola beat down Illinois
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Watching Wisconsin (9) vs. Baylor (1). Baylor is all over Wisconsin.