Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Discipline's - Unfolded Like Staircase

Discipline's - Unfolded Like Staircase

I always was thinking that the quality of the music was 10/10 but the recording was about a 4.

Would you agree?

Would people be interested in a brand new mix of this classic album?

Would you like it on Vinyl?

Thanks

Mark
    Mark Monforti
    Co-Owner of Progrock.com
    www.ProgRock.com

North America Distribution and Boutique Label
    https://essentials.ProgRock.com

Discord Server
    https://discord.gg/XjXVZ8WqNP

900 + Podcasts here
    www.musicinwidescreen.com
    Live Shows Sunday 6pm-9pm CST Sundays @ ProgRock.com

Yes to all three questions! I never liked the muddy mix so I'd love to hear any improvement, especially on vinyl.

I'd LOVE it on vinyl! Great album.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Another mix would be of interest, but on CD.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I completely agree with this.

I am constantly stumped on why someone would want a somewhat ancient digital recording, pressed on vinyl. And I am a fan of vinyl, when the original was recorded, engineered and mastered for vinyl.

I have several reissue vinyl LPs pressed from hi res digital files, and invariably they sound kind of lifeless. And these are by audiophile labels. The best CD version almost always sounds better. I also have plenty of reissue LPs, from the original master tapes, and they tend to sound great.

Although, I would rather have a remixed hi res version. I can guarantee that the original studio recording his higher res than 16/44.1.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

I love the album. Would really enjoy a remastered cd release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd love a remixed/remastered release on CD and vinyl.

Great stuff.

Vinyl of course! Have "Captives Of The Wine Dark Sea" on that format and sound great! no interested to buy more CDs.
    Last edited by tonissive; 02-16-2020 at 02:41 AM.

I usually don't see the point in remixing stuff from the 90s but this is one that would really benefit from it, the original's definitely muddy.

It's an awesome Album, the music is so great that I never really noticed the poor recording.

If it's possible to improve a great Album I wouldn't mind if it's done (auto buy)

I actually like the way it is mixed. Yes it is a bit murky but that actually adds to the whole vibe of the album. Brighten it up and I fear some of its magic might be lost.

I do agree that it does add to the vibe. I think that It would be interesting to see what a new mix would sound like.
    Mark Monforti
    Co-Owner of Progrock.com
    www.ProgRock.com

Discord Server

900 + Podcasts here

One of the best prog albums of the 90's to my ears. I think it could benefit from a re-mix. As others have mentioned the sound is rather muddy on it.

At least it doesn't have the ultra bright "standardized" sound of many (neo)prog bands (Marillion's Fugazi anyone ?). Sounds a little dark to me but maybe it was deliberate ? Only Parmenter must know. Still I would be interested by a new mix/remaster (on CD only).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Same here if anyone's keeping count.

If not vinyl, the Hi-Res files from which vinyl would be cut.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

this album was a potential candidate for a Featured album thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I never had any problems with the recorded sound of Unfolded Like Staircase, personally. And to give it a '4' out of 10 in terms of recording seems absurdly low.
    TBH, I never really noticed this "flaw"

I just take it as part of the album, much like Emergency, Third or Flying Teapot

I never took a single point away for that type of criteria.
    Last edited by Trane; 02-18-2020 at 04:30 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I tried very hard to like this album but failed. Sounded too much like a clumsy version if VDGG to me.

Great album! Spinning it right now: halfway through Into the Dream. Note that the murkiness, when it occurs, is primarily limited to the vocals and guitar. I think it is probably intentional; as several of you have mentioned it adds to the dark atmosphere. It is not a bad sounding album to my ears.

I remember attending a CD-release show for this at a small Michigan club. The music performance space was upstairs; downstairs was a conventional restaurant. One of my many attempts to take a date to a prog show in the hopes she would "get it". Never happened! Certainly not on that night... I'll say that, on average, the two of us had a reasonably good time.

I did have Discipline play my house for an amazing set and I realized then how much better I thought this album could be with a remaster.
    Mark Monforti
    Co-Owner of Progrock.com
    www.ProgRock.com

Discord Server

900 + Podcasts here

A great album indeed. Of all the "newer" bands, Discipline has the whole package of leading the progressive rock movement. Chops, compositions, fresh sound, meaningful lyrics and - most of all - a brilliant vocalist and charismatic front-man. I don't know what took them so long for the equally great follow-up. It's puzzling and sad in a way.

I don't care for the remix so much, yes, the sound of it could be better, but it doesn't affect the overall result. And look what Terry Brown did to their latest Captives...he cleaned up the sound, and the recording is excellent, but the final result is a bit sterilized in my opinion.

I would buy a double vinyl instantly if only I could find it at a reasonable price. With the postage fees' bane that's not going to happen I am afraid.

I never had any problems with the recorded sound of Unfolded Like Staircase, personally. And to give it a '4' out of 10 in terms of recording seems absurdly low.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I just listened to it again Steve maybe 4 is to low. But when I compare it to Push & Profit and their live shows its a let down I have to say. If 5 is average then its slightly under average.
    Mark Monforti
    Co-Owner of Progrock.com
    www.ProgRock.com

Discord Server

900 + Podcasts here