Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Discipline's - Unfolded Like Staircase

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Crowd funding would work if enough people want it to dig into their pockets (heck, crowdfunding will work if only ONE person digs DEEPLY into his / her pocket).
    I would be willing to dig pretty deep to help make a "better sounding" version (remixed / remastered / whatever) of Unfolded on vinyl (and CD, of course) happen.

I'd love to have both Push and Shatter on vinyl, as well, but I know it's unlikely to happen.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    I have several reissue vinyl LPs pressed from hi res digital files, and invariably they sound kind of lifeless. And these are by audiophile labels. The best CD version almost always sounds better.
    it's the thought that counts

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    I would be willing to dig pretty deep to help make a "better sounding" version (remixed / remastered / whatever) of Unfolded on vinyl (and CD, of course) happen.

I'd love to have both Push and Shatter on vinyl, as well, but I know it's unlikely to happen.
    Wheels are turning. That is all for now.
    Chad

Wheels have indeed turned! Just got this email from the band tonight because I'm on their mailing list:

"Discipline band are rehearsing songs for a new album. We hope to sneak a couple of the songs into the this year’s live sets. Local Detroit area shows include March 7 at Bowlero in Royal Oak, and February 28 at the Hamtramck Music Fest. Later this year, ProgRock.com is planning to release a remastered version of the band's "Unfolded Like Staircase" album. And Discipline has been invited to perform in Italy in 2020. Stay tuned for more announcements.

In other news, Discipline vocalist Matthew Parmenter is performing violin regularly in Detroit with the Kate Hinote Trio, featuring Kate Hinote on vocals and David Johnson on guitar (both of Blueflowers fame). Parmenter also plays keyboards in support of Third Man Records recording artists the Algebra Mothers (a.k.a. A-Moms) with Gerald Collins, Ralph Valdez, Dan Ruetenik, Chrissy Morgan, and Karen Neal.

Discipline guitarist Chris Herin is wrapping up work on a solo album being produced by Terry Brown. Proceeds of Chris’s album sales will support the Alzheimer’s Foundation. The album will include guest appearances from several musicians including Alex Lifeson (Rush), John O’Hara (Jethro Tull), Colin Edwin (Porcupine Tree), Tim Bowness (No-Man), Michael Sadler (Saga), Kevin Chown, Shane Gaalaas, Jeff Kollman, Crownlands, as well as fellow Discipline members Matthew Parmenter and Paul Dzendzel.

Discipline drummer Paul Dzendzel has joined up with Marco Delicato and Dean Western to form a new band called Ancient Robots. Check them out soon.

Discipline bassist Mathew Kennedy continues his work with the Phideaux Xavier band. They are planning to tour in the U.K., France, and Italy in the fall."

Larger, different wheels, but wheels indeed!
    Chad

Glad you received that email. Everyone's comments here are greatly appreciated. It has gone a long way to helping us decide the the format of the Vinyl.

Rayna and I have been benefactors of a bunch of Prog projects.

Typically by putting on free concerts in Chicago and paying all expenses - Phideaux, Guy Manning (UK), Unreal City (Italy, first show in US), Karibow(Germany first Show in US), Arena (UK), Discipline, John Mitchell and Friends, Phideaux and Steve Unruh, UnitDB (Australia, unitopia) , UPF (Australia, First Time in America), Crystal Palace (Germany, first time in US)

This time we are really digging deep to do something I always wanted to do.

This started at progstock at the signing table. Chris Herin and I talked about how great it would be to remaster this album. I went straight over to Matthew Parmenter who was in the parking lot to broach the subject with him
    I motivated him to see if the DAT tape was in good shape.

It was and we now digital copies to remaster.

Matthew and I agreed on the terms of the contract which we will sign at the March 7th shop and here we are today.

Here is what is upcoming.

Kickstarter to start in about a month. We are planing to have it end about the time of Terra Incognita as Michel has been nice enough to set us up with a place to advertise. We will also advertise at RoSfest as we will be there with a table for a few other albums we are putting back in print (no remastering on those).

We are going to do a run of 200 Vinyl to be released first with CD's to follow later with Digital Download still to be discussed.

We will make the Kickstarter goal about 20% of cost to give this a very good chance of being funded.
    Mark Monforti
    Co-Owner of Progrock.com
    www.ProgRock.com

North America Distribution and Boutique Label
    https://essentials.ProgRock.com

Discord Server
    https://discord.gg/XjXVZ8WqNP

900 + Podcasts here
    www.musicinwidescreen.com
    Live Shows Sunday 6pm-9pm CST Sundays @ ProgRock.com

Crowd funding would work if enough people want it to dig into their pockets (heck, crowdfunding will work if only ONE person digs DEEPLY into his / her pocket).

Physical product is not the expense one way or the other. The remix is the expense.
    You guessed that right.
    Mark Monforti
    Co-Owner of Progrock.com
    www.ProgRock.com

Discord Server

900 + Podcasts here

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    calling on Gerhard from aisle #51!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by mon40 View Post
    You guessed that right.
    (not a guess - years of slogging it out)
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Anyone knows what Jon Preston Bouda is up to right now?

To me he was a vital part of the Discipline sound (and I prefer him much over Herin)

He is not doing anything that I know of. He has been contacted to sign these remasters.
    Mark Monforti
    Co-Owner of Progrock.com
    www.ProgRock.com

Discord Server

900 + Podcasts here

Well, I guess I won't continue the conversation I was having. Oh well.
    Chad

I will defintely get this remaster as I have always felt the sound of the original album was in need of an improvement.
    Yet I wonder how much this album can be improved by a remaster rather than a remix, which I understand is out of the question. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Larger, different wheels, but wheels indeed!
    Wait, there are two different sets of wheels?

What's going on? C'mon, don't leave us hangin'!

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    calling on Gerhard from aisle #51!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Wait, there are two different sets of wheels?

What's going on? C'mon, don't leave us hangin'!
    Well, since Mark above already has wheels in motion for a remaster, the project I was about to initiate is moot. Not much more to tell, though I had a bit of traction.
    Chad

Oh wow I had no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I will defintely get this remaster as I have always felt the sound of the original album was in need of an improvement.
    Yet I wonder how much this album can be improved by a remaster rather than a remix, which I understand is out of the question. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
    We are doing what ever it takes to get the sound as good as possible. I don't really know what the game plan is. I told Matthew that I'll write the checks. You just promise the make it as good as possible. Let's not cut any corners here. Otherwise what's the point

Quote Originally Posted by mon40 View Post
    We are doing what ever it takes to get the sound as good as possible. I don't really know what the game plan is. I told Matthew that I'll write the checks. You just promise the make it as good as possible. Let's not cut any corners here. Otherwise what's the point
    So if I get it right, the word "remaster" in the announcement should be taken to mean "new release with improved sound" but it could end up technically being a remix if that's what it takes to make it sound good?

Mark - while you're writing checks, how about getting the live 1995 DVD an HD bump to blu-ray with a proper 16:9 encode? --Peter

Was it just me, or is this really just 64 cents now to buy (streaming)? Awesome deal!

https://www.amazon.com/Discipline-li...-video&sr=1-21

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    Was it just me, or is this really just 64 cents now to buy (streaming)? Awesome deal!

https://www.amazon.com/Discipline-li...-video&sr=1-21

Peter
    I'm not sure where you're seeing it for purchase (streaming) for 64 cents. I don't see that anywhere when I go to the link you've provided.

Nevermind on the 64-cent deal - apparently I had a lot of promotional credits from Xmas when I choose non-express shipping. Funny thing is that the check-out did not make that clear (until I saw the invoice e-mailed to me). I almost never buy digital content, so I'm glad I grabbed it because otherwise those credits were set to expire in another few weeks! --Peter

I think that DVD is beyond repair.
    Mark Monforti
    Co-Owner of Progrock.com
    www.ProgRock.com

Discord Server

900 + Podcasts here

Great concert. I was there. The last one with John. I think his hand cramped up so badly that they did not do an encore. That is just a guess though.
    Mark Monforti
    Co-Owner of Progrock.com
    www.ProgRock.com

Discord Server

900 + Podcasts here