Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Steve Howe Autobiography

From a recent Jon Anderson interview:

How have things been in your corner of the quarantine during the past year?

Anderson: We’re healthy, and I’m busy writing music and doing some interesting work, actually. I got my (vaccinations) and it’s the funniest thing -- I’m so stoned! Really. I got very high on the first one and it lasted all the way to the second one, and I’m still high. If affects people different, I suppose. (laughs)
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    "Dry" is a good way to describe the book. Although I enjoyed it, I did not really learn much new that I did not already know.
    There’s a lot of “dry” info in there but lots of opinions as well. Favourite quote “Rick -can’t take a joke- Wakeman”

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Shoot, I thought Lake in the Asia in Asia concert was pretty good. I think, for most casual fans, Lake was a bigger draw than Wetton. As far as the sound of the band, I don't think it was radically different from the Wetton lineup. Lake's vocals, some might say, were an improvement. I was looking forward to seeing new music from this lineup. Alas, it was not to be. Why didn't it work with Lake? My impression is that he was somewhat of a diva and may have had a hard time working with everyone else.
    Greg discusses this in his book. Seems he couldn’t put up with the “business” that surrounded the band - and they wanted Wetton back anyway.

So what did Steve say about the weed in his book?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeswave View Post
    Favourite quote “Rick -can’t take a joke- Wakeman”
    This was amusing. It was part of the story about Howe pranking Wakeman by swapping out the tapes in his Mellotron while they were working on Tormato, that I remember from Yesstories.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    This was amusing. It was part of the story about Howe pranking Wakeman by swapping out the tapes in his Mellotron while they were working on Tormato, that I remember from Yesstories.
    I suppose instruments are off-limit for a lot of musicians. You don't touch them and absolutle don't mess with them.
    So it is probably less not being able to take a joke, as well as don't mess with my instruments, because they are sacred.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I suppose instruments are off-limit for a lot of musicians. You don't touch them and absolutle don't mess with them.
    So it is probably less not being able to take a joke, as well as don't mess with my instruments, because they are sacred.
    I can imagine if Rick, say, restrung Steve's guitar or retuned it while his back was turned. Steve would go ballistic.

Considering Howe used to buy an extra airplane seat for his guitar (under the name "Mr. G. Ibson"), I'd say it's unlikely he'd respond well to such a gag.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^ This is all some wild speculation.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    What is? The airplane story?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    What is? The airplane story?
    The idea that you know any of these people well enough to predict how they would react in such circumstances.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I can imagine if Rick, say, restrung Steve's guitar or retuned it while his back was turned. Steve would go ballistic.
    Or say - someone kept throwing peanuts at the drummer during a take.

The idea that you know any of these people well enough to predict how they would react in such circumstances.
    Well for some of us, they don't dominate our every waking moment. But I'd like to think I can make a comment like '...it's unlikely he'd respond well' based on what I do know about him from interviews and other musicians' recollections. 'Wild speculation' seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

Henry
    I'm not sure this is really wild speculation. Most musicians are not really fond of other people fondling their instruments without their permission

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I'm not sure this is really wild speculation. Most musicians are not really fond of other people fondling their instruments without their permission
    Most musicians don't eat curry on stage. Most musicians don't make endless fart jokes on Twitter. You have to be careful with generalisations. They don't always hold for all.

Henry

Henry
    Imagine that......Wild Speculation in a Yes-related thread?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Today I learned that saying it's unlikely that Steve Howe would respond well to having someone monkey around with one of his prized guitars while his back was turned is 'wild speculation'.

But hey, fair enough - it's definitely going way out on a limb. Maybe he'd get a big laugh out of it and he and the prankster would link arms and head down to the pub. Of course, that's also speculation, so maybe the best move is to defer to the resident experts on how to have a proper conversation about such matters.

Most musicians don't eat curry on stage. Most musicians don't make endless fart jokes on Twitter. You have to be careful with generalisations. They don't always hold for all.

Henry
    No, generalisations don't always work for all. And though most musicians don't eat curry on stage, or make fart jokes, I still think it is pretty save to asume most musicians don't like it if someone messes with their priced instruments, even if they like to make fart jokes or eat curry on stage.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Today I learned that saying it's unlikely that Steve Howe would respond well to having someone monkey around with one of his prized guitars while his back was turned is 'wild speculation'.
    I think it's good guess versus wild speculation.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Yes, I think if I was a professional musician, and someone messed with my instruments, friendly bandmate or not it would instantly spell trouble for whoever dared.

That being said, I have a couple of rules for decades now. Don't mess with my food and/or any of my vehicles. I would have zero problem putting any of my co-workers who did, in the dumpster or trunk of my car; since I would have given advanced notice. My sense of humor has its limits when it comes to those two things. ;-)

Yes, I must get this book at some point. Question: What cool library carries this book? Answer: Must be an English library. ;-)

Many folks don't give Steve Howe enough credit for being a fun guy, with a great sense of humor. Serious at work to be sure, and he certainly gives warnings himself out at times. Who needs to put up with bullshit when you put in the effort? YES, an unlikely cast of characters who continued on/reunited far longer than even they thought possible.

Swapping out mellotron tapes in a studio? I think that's funny as hell

We mess with each other's instruments in the band. Nothing destructive or permanent...but yeah.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    Yes, I must get this book at some point. Question: What cool library carries this book? Answer: Must be an English library. ;-)
    I'm in Chicago. The library is pretty good about getting these rock memoirs.

Still waiting to hear about the weed....

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Still waiting to hear about the weed....
    I returned the book so I can't help. It does have a story about the last time he took acid which he wrote was with Tony Kaye before Kaye was pushed out of Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I returned the book so I can't help. It does have a story about the last time he took acid which he wrote was with Tony Kaye before Kaye was pushed out of Yes.
    Funny story too. Howe and Kaye up all night slowly driving around and then laying down next to the chickens they thought 'looked so nice'. Howe seems very fond of the memory.