Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 30 prog albums since 2000-The Prog Report

Top 30 prog albums since 2000-The Prog Report

Numbers 1 & 2 are on the money. Would have ranked Devin Townsend "s Empath at number 3

https://progreport.com/top-30-prog-albums/

This one is really hard to beat.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I usually am not so blunt, but this is an awful list. Before I get jumped on, I should state that I own or have heard virtually all the albums on this list, many of which I thoroughly enjoy.

But it speaks volumes how myopic this list is, not just because it leans towards a narrow definition of progressive rock, but also because - even within that definition - is largely limited to very visible artists only. And most of THOSE artists emerged primarily in the 90s (some earlier), so it's a pretty sorry state of affairs that 20 years worth of progressive rock almost completely excludes artists that started after 2000. Crazy!

Talk about your low hanging fruit - if you go by just the Transatlantic connections + Steven Wilson, 13 albums on the list are connected. There are only 5 albums on the list from new artists in the 2000s. The youngest artist of all (Haken) is 10 years old.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

This is what depth of understanding and true knowledge looks like.

I am now a disciple of The Prog Report.

Oh joy, another list we can all agree on.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Blackwater Park is a masterpiece imo. I'll leave it there......
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I usually am not so blunt, but this is an awful list. Before I get jumped on, I should state that I own or have heard virtually all the albums on this list, many of which I thoroughly enjoy.

But it speaks volumes how myopic this list is, not just because it leans towards a narrow definition of progressive rock, but also because - even within that definition - is largely limited to very visible artists only. And most of THOSE artists emerged primarily in the 90s (some earlier), so it's a pretty sorry state of affairs that 20 years worth of progressive rock almost completely excludes artists that started after 2000. Crazy!

Talk about your low hanging fruit - if you go by just the Transatlantic connections + Steven Wilson, 13 albums on the list are connected. There are only 5 albums on the list from new artists in the 2000s. The youngest artist of all (Haken) is 10 years old.
    I'm with you on this one completely, and I actually like or love a lot of those albums. However, while some would probably still make my top 30 prog albums since 2000, more than half would not. Myopic is definitely the right term.

Of course, lists like these can never be perfect, or even accurate, as they are totally based on opinions (maybe sales figures may have been involved, I have no idea). I think if we all did a list like that, we get as many different lists as we have members on here.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Blackwater Park is a masterpiece imo. I'll leave it there......
    Frankie, this is the final and defining list.

There will never be another list now.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yep, I think we are seeing a bit of snark here, just a little bit, maybe...

Pretty bad list overall and utterly meaningless and parochial to a single style maybe and overlooks bans like Magma, and and and... sheesh, the sad thing is, every time there is a list that could potentially educate people to the good stuff, it sticks to only what it knows.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Right on! To me it looks like a week long Rosfest show..
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm going to start a website, and post only Mongolian nose flute players who are influence by Avant music!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

The Nepalese nose flute players are much better and significantly more innovative. In part because the type of bone they use for their flutes is from a rare, genetically enhanced, coronavirus repellent breed of pangolin.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'm going to start a website, and post only Mongolian nose flute players who are influence by Avant music!
    Only if they do the occasional Yes cover.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Only if they do the occasional Yes cover.
    The only way to do justice to the vocals on those covers would be to sing through the nose flutes.

A very blah list. I have two of these, and neither of them really grabbed me.

And there are so many good albums from the last twenty years that don't sound like mediocre Seventies releases - or mediocre Seventies releases plus a Marshall half-stack, double kick-drums going DUDDA-DUDDA-DUDDA-DUDDA-DUDDA at points, and (for some acts) Bill the Cat on vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Give me a good, sturdy stick and I'll take a whack at it.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Give me a good, sturdy stick and I'll take a whack at it.
    Violence, violence
    It's the only thing that'll make you see sense

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Just shoot me.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I have.... none - never did except I did own Lateralus for a while.

Yup, I'm sure even Prog magazine can't come up with a more inept list.

But it speaks volumes how myopic this list is,
    C'm'on Coz, where is your sense of objectivity and good taste?

(look who posted the thread and you'll understand something)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

For a bit of meaningless comparison:

If you use ProgArchives to generate a similar list, two of the top five on this list (the SW albums) are also in the top five on that list.

However, the other three in the Top 5 on each list don't make the "Top 30" on the other list at all (and the supposed #1 Top Album since 2000 according to this list isn't even in he PA Top 100 for that period!).

I do like much of the content The Prog Report creates, but I take their lists like many with a grain of salt.

I often make a React-To list of my own in my blog, which I meant to, but never finished; although I recall posting a list in here and/or on the dreamtheaterforums within the last couple of months for both end-of-decade and 2000-2009 which would be more or less the same list.

I think I included maybe 5 of the records on that list.

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Blackwater Park and In Absentia would make my own list.

But yeah, gotta take these things with a wink-wink, nudge-nudge attitude. Otherwise it will drive one crazy.

A couple of opinionated observations.

1) Spock's Beard V is far superior to Snow.

2) Bridge Across Forever is much better than The Whirlwind,
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

And then we wonder why so many people despise prog. Turns out they have a point.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

"...and is considered one of the albums of both Portnoy and Morse’s long careers."

High praise, indeed.

15. Big Big Train – English Electric Pt.2 (2013)

How odd they consider Part 2 better than Part 1. I don't see it, personally.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/