Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Black Sabbath's Debut Album is Now Fifty!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    My cable package includes both MTV and its one-time Canadian equivalent Much Music, and neither one of them play music videos anymore as far as I can tell. From channel surfing it seems like both stations mostly play re-runs of Friends, Simpsons, Fresh off the Boat, and so forth. Oh, and Jersey Shore.
    I have MTV Classic as channel #336 on my Direct TV package. If you want the video version of MTV, I would suggest ordering it or get a package that includes it.

My cable package includes both MTV and its one-time Canadian equivalent Much Music, and neither one of them play music videos anymore as far as I can tell. From channel surfing it seems like both stations mostly play re-runs of Friends, Simpsons, Fresh off the Boat, and so forth. Oh, and Jersey Shore.
    My cable system had Much Music, but changed it to some US wannabe equivalent. I don't even remember what it was called. That network stopped playing music, then disappeared altogether.

The first time I saw Much Music was in the Phoenix VA Hospital in the late 80s. The only other young guy and I liked watching the afternoon metal show. All the other older patients hated it so much, they gathered a petition to remove the TV from the dayroom altogether.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

The last thing I want is the old MTV to remind m how shitty 80s music was. They were the primary culprit, too. The advent of MTV emphasized the look over the substance. And, regretfully, many of our favorite artists fell into the trap. Yes, I'm looking at you Ms. Slick.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    The last thing I want is the old MTV to remind m how shitty 80s music was. They were the primary culprit, too. The advent of MTV emphasized the look over the substance. And, regretfully, many of our favorite artists fell into the trap. Yes, I'm looking at you Ms. Slick.
    Yikes, that's painting a broad brush stroke of condemnation over a decade of many great artists and some outstanding music.

The Smiths
    Echo & The Bunnymen
    The Fixx
    Depeche Mode
    Roxy Music
    Flock Of Seagulls
    Icehouse
    INXS
    XTC
    Tears For Fears
    Talk Talk
    Thompson Twins
    Talking Heads
    New Order
    The Motels
    Men At Work
    Nick Lowe
    Howard Jones
    Japan
    The Jam
    The Specials
    Cutting Crew
    The Cure

and on and on and on... All of them, substance in music (not just looks).

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    There's plenty other stations that show reruns, even without cable. Plus, one big advantage to not having cable: I've never seen Jersey Shore.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Yikes, that's painting a broad brush stroke of condemnation over a decade of many great artists and some outstanding music.

The Smiths
    Echo & The Bunnymen
    The Fixx
    Depeche Mode
    Roxy Music
    Flock Of Seagulls
    Icehouse
    INXS
    XTC
    Tears For Fears
    Talk Talk
    Thompson Twins
    Talking Heads
    New Order
    The Motels
    Men At Work
    Nick Lowe
    Howard Jones
    Japan
    The Jam
    The Specials
    Cutting Crew
    The Cure

and on and on and on... All of them, substance in music (not just looks).
    I didn't say every band was shitty, now did I?

Different strokes. I don't listen to any of those bands, BTW.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    True that! But just think of when their version was in the top 10; bubble gum music was all the rage, so "Summertime Blues" was such an onslaught to ears tuned to "Simon Says" and "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy."
    The B side of Simon Says---Reflections from the Looking Glass was kinda proggy (though the term prog was not yet used)