Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Black Sabbath's Debut Album is Now Fifty!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    This tune is a bit easier to accept as a precursor to what Gillan and Glover would do next. (rough sound quality)
    Yes, now that is evidence that they are leaving the teeny bopper stuff behind and darkening their sound. And, it's a better rendition of "Morning Dew" than Lulu's. I looked up the Episode Six band bio to see that the keyboardist was someone named Sheila Carter, who also did vocals.

Thanks for these blasts from the past.

Tony Iommi posted this on Facebook...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Nice but some of those songs had more than one signature riffs and he only plays the opening one
    Last edited by Jerjo; 02-28-2020 at 05:01 PM.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Yes, now that is evidence that they are leaving the teeny bopper stuff behind and darkening their sound. And, it's a better rendition of "Morning Dew" than Lulu's. I looked up the Episode Six band bio to see that the keyboardist was someone named Sheila Carter, who also did vocals.

Thanks for these blasts from the past.
    I'm biased. I admit it. The first time I heard Morning Dew was Blackfoot's version and that's the one I like. I did search it out on Youtube a while back and couldn't find a proper live version of the tune, just cell vids. Whatever.

The reason I was out looking for a Sabbath thread is that I have 13 Sabbath/Iommi cd's and only one has Ozzy on it. Most of the Tony Martin era and such were given to me but all the others are Dio years which I did buy. For some reason I never got around to buying the Ozzy stuff.

I just figured this out for some reason.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Nazareth covered it as well early on in their career

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^^ That is pretty good. I always liked the pre-Allmann Brothers 31st of February version.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Hey Trane.....

Le media est bloqué dans votre région géographique

No translation needed.

Sorry 'bout that, but not much I can do

the description of the two-part pop-shop concert
    Dans l'histoire du rock, Black Sabbath est considéré comme le pionnier du métal. Emmené par Ozzy Osbourne au chant et Tony Iommi à la guitare, Black Sabbath influencera toute la scène heavy metal actuelle, mais aussi de nombreux groupes aux styles musicaux parfois très différents, des Cardigans à Kyuss, en passant par Black Flag. En 1970, les caméras de la RTB filment le groupe britannique en concert, dans sa formation originale. Ils interprètent : "Paranoid", "Hand of doom", "Iron Man" et "Black Sabbath".

Dans l'histoire du rock, Black Sabbath est considéré comme le pionnier du metal. Emmené par Ozzy Osbourne au chant et Tony Iommi à la guitare, Black Sabbath influencera toute la scène heavy metal actuelle, mais aussi de nombreux groupes aux styles musicaux parfois très différents, des Cardigans à Kyuss, en passant par Black Flag. En 1970, les caméras de la RTB filment le groupe britannique en concert, dans sa formation originale. Ils interprètent : "N.I.B.", "Behind the wall of sleep", "War pigs" et "Fairies wear boots".
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Mediaval Sabbath

Sabbath Tap Rockumentary

Holy shit, Milton Keynes? Is that the economist or the town in England?

The Pig and 2 Flutes. Lizzy Maguires Plastic Hedge Monkey Club.

Heavy Petal. Rick Wakeman - Grumpy Old Rock Star. Salad Bloody Salad.

You just made me laugh so much. I'm in a ghost city now and damn, that was needed.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

^^ This video was played every so often on MTV's Headbangers' Ball.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

This video was played every so often on MTV's Headbangers' Ball.
    Thanks. I saw it for the first time today and have no way of knowing how old it is. I guess it dates back to when MTV last played music, however many decades ago that was. WTF does MTV do since they gave up on music, anyway? I haven't watched it since early '80s, and even then, not for very long.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I couldn't finish watching that video. It wasn't awful but just not into it. I'd rather listen Tony Martin-era Sabbath than 80s Ozzy.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Thanks. I saw it for the first time today and have no way of knowing how old it is. I guess it dates back to when MTV last played music, however many decades ago that was. WTF does MTV do since they gave up on music, anyway? I haven't watched it since early '80s, and even then, not for very long.
    MTV classic still has "Metal Mayhem" blocks of videos. If you're willing to sit through hours of "let's go to the strip club and get s*** faced" hair metal BS, you might get lucky and see 1 or 2 decent videos. But then, isn't that what the DVR fast-forward button is for? I never even stayed up late enough to watch HBB when it was on. I taped it and fast forwarded through all the lame videos.

you might get lucky and see 1 or 2 decent videos.
    ^To me, that always summed up MTV as a whole. Even if I had the ability to fast forward, it just wasn't worth my time. I'm sure many people felt differently. I yawn in their general direction.

Banned
    MTV Classic channel is the only one of interest to me and one that I would recommend for video music viewing, as they have late night music video programing that is somewhat reminiscent of the original MTV concept. You can sometimes glimpse some good New Wave and early 80's synth stuff on "I Want My 80's", which I like the most of the three. "House Of Pop" is more commercial so you get some Dance/Electronica, but a little too much Pop/Pop material. "Metal Mayhem" doesn't dig down deep enough to get the more hard and proggy output, with too much featuring of "Ratt", "Poison", "Warrant", "Tesla" and the like. You do sometimes get the benefit of "Scorpion", "Queensryche" and "Tommy Shaw" videos, but it's a mix and match between that and the Hair Metal output.

MTV Classic
    I Want My 80s 2016–present
    House of Pop 2016–present
    Metal Mayhem 2016–present

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Probably true, I guess.

Brits were already pretty heavy by February 1970. The first time ever heard of Man was when I read about one of my then-fave bands (BS) and had the Walisian combo presented as a seminal influence on Iommi & co. There are a few good Man threads here at PE (they became legendary in their native Wales): https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...hlight=Penarth

Free freak-rock in the UK in 1968-70 was pretty much an underground enterprise, partly emanating from hippy communes and circuits like the large one in Ladbroke Grove/Notting Hill (with Arthur Brown, Quintessence, Secondhand, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Hawkwind, The Pink Fairies/Deviants, Mighty Baby, Edgar Broughton Band and many more), but these bands were ubiquitous at festivals and open-air free gigs during those days and influenced loads of other acts.

April 1969:

And if you haven't heard this one, well be prepared for... Uhm, onslaught of the sense.
    I bookmarked these videos for later consumption today.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    MTV Classic channel is the only one of interest to me and one that I would recommend for video music viewing, as they have late night music video programing that is somewhat reminiscent of the original MTV concept. You can sometimes glimpse some good New Wave and early 80's synth stuff on "I Want My 80's", which I like the most of the three. "House Of Pop" is more commercial so you get some Dance/Electronica, but a little too much Pop/Pop material. "Metal Mayhem" doesn't dig down deep enough to get the more hard and proggy output, with too much featuring of "Ratt", "Poison", "Warrant", "Tesla" and the like. You do sometimes get the benefit of "Scorpion", "Queensryche" and "Tommy Shaw" videos, but it's a mix and match between that and the Hair Metal output.

MTV Classic
    I Want My 80s 2016–present
    House of Pop 2016–present
    Metal Mayhem 2016–present
    I was unaware there was more than one MTV channel. We have never had cable television. When I last viewed MTV, in the early '80s, it was at a friend's house. Thank you for the information.

I heard those 3 videos. High Tide is heavy and proggy. Listening to the whole album (Sea Shanties). The other 2 Man and Family just sound like psychedelia. High Tide is definitely proto-metal.

I was unaware there was more than one MTV channel. We have never had cable television. When I last viewed MTV, in the early '80s, it was at a friend's house. Thank you for the information.
    Before they all got swallowed up by Viacom, there used to be a group of networks known as MTV Networks. They included VH1, CMT and a few others I don't recall.

WTF does MTV do since they gave up on music, anyway? I haven't watched it since early '80s, and even then, not for very long.
    My cable package includes both MTV and its one-time Canadian equivalent Much Music, and neither one of them play music videos anymore as far as I can tell. From channel surfing it seems like both stations mostly play re-runs of Friends, Simpsons, Fresh off the Boat, and so forth. Oh, and Jersey Shore.