Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Black Sabbath's Debut Album is Now Fifty!

^ If we were to discuss the case of "loudness" as such, no British album sounded as loud as Live at Leeds.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

There was that Rolling Stone review/ramble about Paranoid where it turned out the guy was reviewing Black Widow. Based on their album Sacrifice, that band were not especially 'heavy', really, despite using some of the same gothic imagery as Black Sabbath.

Worth seeking out the BBC session that Black Sabbath did in 1970, the title track has a whole extra verse. It first came out officially on one of Ozzy Osbourne's best-ofs.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Here we are celebrating the 50th anniversary of a groundbreaking and earth chattering first album by Black Sabbath and the "what abouts" appear on que. ...
    Oh, lighten up. Nobody's trying to take anything away from Black Sabbath.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    True. But we're not denying that.
    Indeed!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    True that! But just think of when their version was in the top 10; bubble gum music was all the rage, so "Summertime Blues" was such an onslaught to ears tuned to "Simon Says" and "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy."
    I don't know, when Summertime Blues peaked at #16 in April of 68', "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro was #1. And, "Mighty Quinn (Quinn The Eskimo)" was #10.

I love me some Sabbath. Still one of my favorite bands ever. Of the first six, any of them could be my "favorite", depending on the day. Also love the Dio albums, the final album with Ozzy, and quite enjoy the Cross Purposes album with Tony Martin (saw a killer show on this tour where they played stuff from several eras). There is usually at least a couple songs on the remaining albums that I really enjoy.

DUDE!

Rolling Stone buried this at the bottom. Good news about Ward mending fences but dama, May/Iommi?! I so want to hear this

Ward now plays in his own hard-rocking Bill Ward Band and another group called Day of Errors; he has lots of music he hopes to release, and says he has mended fences with the rest of the band. Iommi has been spending his time sifting through CDs he’s made of his riffs over the years, contemplating what he’d like to record next; he recently gave five or six CDs to his friend Brian May
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ If we were to discuss the case of "loudness" as such, no British album sounded as loud as Live at Leeds.

There were other heavy bands before (like Vanilla Fudge, a.o.), but BS had a massive sound, a talent for great riffs and a theatrical appearance through Ozzy and his strange voice that made them very unique.

I was very intrigued when Paranoid came up, that sound ! but since I was trained listening to Cream, Hendrix, The Who, Johnny Winter, a.o. I sat there waiting for some more spectacular soloing and improvising... and that is not their game.

Vincebus Eruptus is a cornerstone in heavy music, and in terms of rawness destroys the competition.

An album cannot be judged simply on terms of good songs, but also on its overall energy and impact on music.

Sabbath patented heavy metal as such in those first three albums. But their most interesting music is contained imo in Vol 4, Sabotage, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. No heavy metal band ever came near those records in terms of inventiveness and mood.

Have we seen any updates on Iommi's health?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I didn't start buying Sabbath albums (CDs) until about 2012-13. I don't have any hangups about the post Ozzy, or albums like Never Say Die. I pretty much love almost all their albums. NSD is a big favorite, and there are a few Tony Martin albums that are pretty damn good.

Third record I bought in my life, during the mid 70s. Still sounds as fresh as then... Massive concentrated riffing. Definitely less raw than debut Blue Cheer (they give you the impression that they're about to fall apart in that maximum destruction of theirs) but way more focused in intensity. And that voice... depression impersonated. This album has "grimness" written all over it.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Recently heard the H&H album....The Devil You Know.

That was a hell of a band. All those Italians in that band...

The devil must be Italian....:

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Have we seen any updates on Iommi's health?
    He seems fine here!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    He seems fine here!

Yes, I looked on wikipedia after asking and saw this:

In early 2012, Iommi was diagnosed with the early stages of lymphoma,[55] for which he underwent successful treatment. Black Sabbath's 2013 tour dates were arranged so that Iommi was free to return to the UK once every six weeks to have an antibody administered.[56] On 3 January 2014, in a New Year message, Iommi announced that he would be finishing his regular treatment some time that year.[57] A few months later, Black Sabbath announced that due to Iommi's health issues, they were undertaking their final tour.[58] As of 11 August 2016 Tony Iommi announced that his cancer was in remission.[59]

According to a report in Rolling Stone magazine from 9 December 2016, Iommi revealed that he was due to have an operation to remove a lump from his throat. In an early 2017 interview with the UK radio show Planet Rock, Iommi explained that the lump wasn't cancerous.[60]

Just listened to the first record. It's raw, lyrics are juvenile, vocals are bad, and the material is very thin. It's amazing how they progressed by the second record. Great material, great vocals and really stellar production. It's like the first record was a very rough draft of their sound hurriedly scribbled down in the few hours they had in the studio. Stunning how they had grown by Paranoid. All IMHO, of course. I know some love this record. Not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Just listened to the first record. It's raw, lyrics are juvenile, vocals are bad, and the material is very thin. It's amazing how they progressed by the second record. Great material, great vocals and really stellar production. It's like the first record was a very rough draft of their sound hurriedly scribbled down in the few hours they had in the studio. Stunning how they had grown by Paranoid. All IMHO, of course. I know some love this record. Not me.
    The first album was basically their live set at the time.

Banned
    Wow. All the reasons you cited for not liking the album are what made the release so outstanding in my view. As to lyrics being juvenile, Paranoid didn't exactly step up the maturity and quality aspect:

Goin' home, late last night
    Suddenly I got a fright
    Yeah I looked through a window and surprised what I saw
    A fairy with boots and dancin' with a dwarf
    All right now

So I went to the doctor, see what he could give me
    He said son, son, you've gone too far
    'Cause smokin' and trippin' is all that you do
    Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Suddenly I got a fright
    All right now
    That's based on an actual event, though. Obviously, it wasn't a real dwarf or faerie.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    He seems fine here!

Been watching this video. I could listen to Tony all day. What a story, and what a life.

As to lyrics being juvenile, Paranoid didn't exactly step up the maturity and quality aspect:

Suddenly I got a fright
    All right now

So I went to the doctor, see what he could give me
    He said son, son, you've gone too far
    'Cause smokin' and trippin' is all that you do
    Yeah
    Yeah. You’ve got a point. That being said, they still seem way better than the debut. The quality of Ozzy’s singing had really advanced, too.
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 02-17-2020 at 03:31 PM.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Not sure I'd ever heard/heard of High Tide before. I imagine if someone played that for me I might have guessed it was Iron Butterfly.

That being said, they still seem way better than the debut. The quality of Ozzy’s singing had really advanced, too.
    The vocals on the first album could probably have been better if they had more than one day of studio time. The last track recorded was Warning and on that one Ozzy really sounds like he needs to rest his voice a bit.

I wouldn't change a thing.

Yeah
    'Fairies Wear Boots' is a classic track, but this particular 'yeah' is inarguably lazy!

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    The vocals on the first album could probably have been better if they had more than one day of studio time. The last track recorded was Warning and on that one Ozzy really sounds like he needs to rest his voice a bit.
    Another noteworthy thing with the debut. Other than a run-through of 'Blue Suede Shoes' for German TV (!), I don't think Sabbath ever did any further covers after the two on their debut. ('Evil Woman' being the other.)

I picked up a cheapo compilation once upon a time and was delighted to find that the non-album B side 'Wicked World' (again, the only one they have, I think!) sounded great on it. I guess they found better tapes for that track at last. In the UK at least, that one always used to sound like crap. Had that heavy noise-reduction sound but I'm not sure if that was the cause.