Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RUSH 'Permanent Waves' 40 boxset 03.27.2020

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I think I might have to get this, my birthday is coming up. My only whinge as with the others is why cant they use the original cover artwork?
    Quite. The new cover for A Farewell To Kings is, frankly, horrible, in addition to totally missing the point of the original. The new Permanent Waves is at least on a similar theme to the original.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    There are some unfortunate fadeouts on the live disc , the one at the end of "Closer to the Heart" in particular.
    Chad

This mastering sounds great. The live shit sounds good too....sort of an Exit Stage Right

There's a bit of whining on the Hoffman forum about the excessive fades but the band's performance gets raves. I suppose I'll have to give it a shot.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    This mastering sounds great. The live shit sounds good too....sort of an Exit Stage Right
    It's how ESL should have sounded (less studio polish).
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    It's how ESL should have sounded (less studio polish).
    Totally agree. Sure, there are some "off" notes but the energy is 100.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

My set dropped yesterday, and I spent an enjoyable evening working my way through it.

I've put together a blog review of the two discs, offering some thoughts on the remastering, and the contents of the live disc when pairing it with the St Louis set:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....-edition-2020/

Finally got the 2 cd set yesterday. Really enjoying hearing the original album which sounds better than the last remaster but also the live stuff which is great fun. I loved hearing the huge London cheer that went up when Geddy introduced Hemispheres - it still gives me goosebumps.

I have the 24/96 download from HDtracks. Here are my impressions.

1. Studio Tracks: After doing an A/B comparison with the Sector 2 version, I can't say one sounds better than the other. The new remaster is noticeably quieter--I had to turn up the volume to do the comparison.

2. Live Tracks: The first track has pretty rough sound quality, but things get better from there. It's nice hearing a different approach than on Exit Stage Left on the many tracks that overlap. It's also nice hearing a live version of the "Hemispheres" suite, even if it's truncated. (Why the f*** was this not on the Hemispheres 40 Anniversary Edition?!)

As a longtime fan of classic Rush, I found it worth getting.

Speaking of downloads - I bought the AFTK vinyl set and it came with a little card with a download code for digital versions of all the tracks. This new PeW set did not. I went to the web site and entered my order number and zip code to see "my downloads", and all that was there were the three "instant gratification" tracks they had pre-released. I dropped them an e-mail a couple of nights ago and haven't heard back. Hoping I don't have to manually rip these tracks from vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    My set dropped yesterday, /[/URL]
    Why did you drop it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Why did you drop it?
    Fondling with greasy fingers, of course.

I finally got this for my birthday - the fade-outs on the live disc are mildly annoying but the music kicks ass most righteously!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I finally got this for my birthday - the fade-outs on the live disc are mildly annoying but the music kicks ass most righteously!
    The fade outs... Did Terry Brown learn nothing from Exit... Stage Left? But seriously, why? Even the tracks from the same show, that were played in the same order as they ended up on the live disc have fades in between. Still, great stuff. I do prefer the St. Louis version of By-Tor over any other I've heard. The one on here is fine, but I miss the awesome whammy bar abuse on St. Louis.

Perhaps the fade-outs are reasoned to be better for the digital age where people listen to tracks, or shuffle, rather than play all the way through. Thus, avoiding harsh cut-in/offs of audience noise.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    The fade outs... Did Terry Brown learn nothing from Exit... Stage Left? But seriously, why? Even the tracks from the same show, that were played in the same order as they ended up on the live disc have fades in between. Still, great stuff. I do prefer the St. Louis version of By-Tor over any other I've heard. The one on here is fine, but I miss the awesome whammy bar abuse on St. Louis.
    Terry Brown learned nothing from "All the World's a Stage."

Could the fadeouts be an indicator that they are MP3-sourced? has anyone checked?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Perhaps the fade-outs are reasoned to be better for the digital age where people listen to tracks, or shuffle, rather than play all the way through. Thus, avoiding harsh cut-in/offs of audience noise.
    Well, I would suggest that, if that's the case, maybe they don't know their market very well.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

This seems like a valid point. The fade-outs don't really bother me as long as it's only a collection of songs from the same tour. Let's hope they release at least one of these shows in their entirety at one point. But no fade-outs then please!

I get that. It just kills the "live album" vibe. I'm still in the vinyl age.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Terry Brown learned nothing from "All the World's a Stage."
    No fade-outs on that one. Do you mean the overall audio quality?

Well, I would suggest that, if that's the case, maybe they don't know their market very well.
    Yup. I honestly wonder how involved the band is in these anniversary releases?

I believe I read that Ged or Alex have much involvement at all in these projects.

I took my Kiel Auditorium show and mixed in the tracks that show up only on the box for a playlist on my PC. Still missing a couple tracks but it's as close as I can get to the full show.

Here's what the actual set list looked like on that tour:

Freewill
    By-Tor And The Snow Dog
    Xanadu
    The Spirit Of Radio
    Natural Science
    A Passage To Bangkok
    The Trees
    Cygnus X-1: Book I: The Voyage
    Cygnus X-1: Book II: Hemispheres
    Closer To The Heart
    Beneath, Between And Behind
    Jacob’s Ladder
    Working Man
    Finding My Way
    Anthem
    Bastille Day
    In The Mood
    Drum Solo

Encore: La Villa Strangiato

No fade-outs on that one. Do you mean the overall audio quality?
    Yes, the quality sucked and Exit, Stage Left was a marginal improvement. I remember being so disappointed.

Yes, the quality sucked and Exit, Stage Left was a marginal improvement. I remember being so disappointed.
    Gotcha. I actually like the rawness of ATWAS. My only real issue with ESL (besides the fades) is that Alex is buried for the most part. Bass and drums are massive, probably Ged's best recorded bass tone.

Gotcha. I actually like the rawness of ATWAS. My only real issue with ESL (besides the fades) is that Alex is buried for the most part. Bass and drums are massive, probably Ged's best recorded bass tone.
    I don't mind rawness and, being an avid bootleg collector for decades, I am quite forgiving of sound quality and am mostly concerned with the quality of the performance. But, for an official release, I have no idea what Terry Brown was thinking, or hearing.

Moving. Pictures. Box. Set. Must. Have. Now.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Moving. Pictures. Box. Set. Must. Have. Now.
    Maybe Christmas 2021? For me it's all about the extras (which is why I skipped Hemispheres). I wonder what's in store for MP?