Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RUSH 'Permanent Waves' 40 boxset 03.27.2020

RUSH 'Permanent Waves' 40 boxset 03.27.2020

as per 'Rushisaband' :

Last week we learned that Rush's upcoming Permanent Waves 40th anniversary box set would be released next month on March 27th, much sooner than originally expected. More details regarding the release have started to leak out over the past few days, including the available formats and bonus content tracklisting. Although nothing is official or confirmed as of yet, it looks like the release will be similar to 2018's Hemispheres 40th anniversary box set, and be available as a 2-CD set, 3-LP set, or a Deluxe edition that includes a 40-page, hardcover booklet.

The first disc will include the 2015 Permanent Waves Abbey Road Studios album remaster on CD for the first time (previously released on vinyl) along with previously unreleased and newly restored bonus content on the bonus disc (2 bonus LP discs). However, unlike the Hemispheres box set, it doesn't look like the Permanent Waves Deluxe edition will include a 5.1 surround sound Blu-ray Audio mix.

As we'd pointed out in last week's post, this could be due to the fact that the multi-track master tapes aren't available as Alex Lifeson explained in this 2012 interview. The unreleased, bonus live material will include various tracks from Rush's 1980 Permanent Waves tour, mostly from stops in London and Manchester. Here's the bonus content tracklisting information that we currently have:

1. Beneath, Between & Behind (Live in Manchester)
    2. By-Tor & The Snow Dog (Live in London)
    3. Xanadu (Live in London)
    4. The Spirit Of Radio (Live in Manchester)
    5. Natural Science (Live in Manchester)
    6. The Trees (Live in Manchester)
    7. Cygnus X-1 (Live in London)
    8. Cygnus X-1 Book II (Live in London)
    9. Closer To The Heart (Live in Manchester)
    10. Jacob's Ladder (Live in Missouri)
    11. Freewill (Live in London)

Rush played 2 shows at the Apollo in Manchester from June 17-18, 1980, and 5 shows at the Hammersmith Odeon in London from June 4-8 - so it's assumed that the above tracks are from those shows. Jacob's Ladder is likely from one of the band's 3 shows in St. Louis during February of 1980.

Ole's Andy Curran first mentioned the planned 2020 release of a Permanent Waves 40th anniversary box set in an interview from late 2018. The release was confirmed during a pre-show advertisement at last year's Rush: Cinema Strangiato event. More information as we learn it.
    2trevorsforlife

a few things . . .

hope they don't botch the cover. that Farewell to Kings was an abomination. I rather dig the Hemisphere's treatment. Syme's original design is just so good

two words (OK, three) : ST. LOUIS BOOTLEG. Kiel is really the gold standard of Rush shows and a no brainer for this
    2trevorsforlife

7. Cygnus X-1 (Live in London)
    8. Cygnus X-1 Book II (Live in London)

OK, you got my attention now. Though I would kill for an official release of that St Louis show at the Kiel.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    two words (OK, three) : ST. LOUIS BOOTLEG. Kiel is really the gold standard of Rush shows and a no brainer for this
    I was there! This is probably the only time someone has mentioned a show that I was actually at.

Looks like between St Louis and this set that one could put together pretty much an entire PeW tour soundboard. I'm glad they didn't just re-release that. The boot likely can't be improved up at this point.

Great news, I hope they use the original cover but doubt that they will. The live tracks from 1980 will be awesome!

the London/Manchester shows had the same setlist.
    but Cygnus X-1 book I wasn't played- could be from a different tour.
    btw many of the tracks are abbreviated, even Hemispheres.

Manchester- pity they didn't give us the whole show on 2CD's.
    2112: Overture
    The Temples Of Syrinx
    Discovery (Last Verse)
    Presentation (Abbreviated)
    Soliloquy
    Grand Finale
    Freewill
    By-Tor And The Snow Dog (Abbreviated)
    Xanadu
    The Spirit Of Radio
    Natural Science
    A Passage To Bangkok
    Broon's Bane
    The Trees
    Cygnus X-1
    I. Prelude
    IV. Armageddon - The Battle Of Heart And Mind
    V. Cygnus - Bringer Of Balance
    VI. The Sphere - A Kind Of Dream
    Closer To The Heart
    Beneath, Between And Behind
    Jacob's Ladder
    Working Man
    Finding My Way (Teaser)
    Anthem
    Bastille Day
    In The Mood
    Drum Solo

Encore:
    La Villa Strangiato

a few things . . .

hope they don't botch the cover. that Farewell to Kings was an abomination. I rather dig the Hemisphere's treatment. Syme's original design is just so good

Agreed! My favorite Rush live "album". I'm surprised to not see it listed, but there's some great stuff that I don't have, and my St. Louis boot is adequate.

I skipped the Hemispheres 40th. The extras just weren't that enticing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    The show I saw in OKC had Cyg Bk 1 & I thought all or most of Bk II

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    I was there! This is probably the only time someone has mentioned a show that I was actually at.
    i think wifee was there too, will need to check the ticket stub archive to confirm (might take a couple years to get around to it).

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post

Manchester- pity they didn't give us the whole show on 2CD's.
    2112: Overture
    The Temples Of Syrinx
    Discovery (Last Verse)
    Presentation (Abbreviated)
    Soliloquy
    Grand Finale
    Freewill
    By-Tor And The Snow Dog (Abbreviated)
    Xanadu
    The Spirit Of Radio
    Natural Science
    A Passage To Bangkok
    Broon's Bane
    The Trees
    Cygnus X-1
    I. Prelude
    IV. Armageddon - The Battle Of Heart And Mind
    V. Cygnus - Bringer Of Balance
    VI. The Sphere - A Kind Of Dream
    Closer To The Heart
    Beneath, Between And Behind
    Jacob's Ladder
    Working Man
    Finding My Way (Teaser)
    Anthem
    Bastille Day
    In The Mood
    Drum Solo

Encore:
    La Villa Strangiato
    By-Tor and Xanadu were played a medley. If you've seen the Exit Stage...Left video, that's basically the same arrangement they had for By-Tor, except instead of seguing into In The End, they instead segue into Xanadu. I think they did that for a couple tours, as it occurs on that bootleg where Geddy has to keep telling the audience to stop pushing forward, which I believe is from the Hemispheres tour, and it's also on the Kiel Auditorium bootleg, which is from teh Permanent Waves tour.

I forget what they did wtih 2112, my memory was it was essentially the same arrangement as on All The World's A Stage, but with the addition of Geddy playing a bit of Taurus pedals in a couple bits.

One question:

Is Permanent Waves "Remastered" going to translate into Permanent Waves "BRICKWALLED" if I look at these tracks on a .WAV editor?

Because that seems to be the case with so many these days.
    -----------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
    causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

looks like there's a track that just listed on Spotify, Spirit of Radio from Manchester, complete with album image which seems to be the box art

2trevorsforlife

No panties in the cover art! Where are the panties? There must be panties!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    just be glad there's no boxer shorts or jock straps showing.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I forget what they did wtih 2112, my memory was it was essentially the same arrangement as on All The World's A Stage, but with the addition of Geddy playing a bit of Taurus pedals in a couple bits.
    The addition of pedals is cool, but the thing that really got my attention was Neil's chimes during the Soliloquy section. That and Ged's impassioned "spills ooooooverrrrr er er er..." and Alex's bend/feedback at the very end. Gives me goosebumps!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post

she's there! :

2trevorsforlife

she's there! :

-----------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
    causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Amazon summary:

Celebrating 40 years of Rush’s Permanent Waves, the Super Deluxe Edition will feature two CDs, three 180-gram audiophile black vinyl LPs and a 40-page hardcover book filled with reimagined artwork by original album designer Hugh Syme, unreleased photos from the band’s archive and an exclusive twelve-thousand plus word essay. The Abbey Road Mastering Studios 2015 album remaster is made available on CD for the first time. CD 2 is loaded with unreleased bonus live tracks from three stops on the Permanent Waves World Tour 1980: Manchester Apollo, Manchester, England; Hammersmith Odeon, London, England; and Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, Missouri, all newly mixed by the band’s longtime producer Terry Brown.

Permanent Waves is the band’s first of many iconic visits to Le Studio recording studio in Morin Heights, Quebec which has been nicknamed Rush’s Abbey Road Studios. A blank sheet of Le Studio letterhead was newly discovered, so the first of many collectibles included is a 20-page 5”x7” Le Studio notepad. The two replica tour programs represent the official Permanent Waves World Tour 1980 program and with the inclusion of U.K. performances the very rare, unofficial The Words & Pictures Volume II UK-only tour program is included. The Super Deluxe Edition’s finishing touches feature 3 band member replica backstage laminates, a 24”x36” double-sided poster showcasing the original album cover model and photos of each band member recording at Le Studio, and three Neil Peart handwritten lyric sheets for “The Spirit Of Radio,” “Entre Nous” and “Natural Science.”

Permanent Waves is the band’s first departure from in-depth, ten-minute plus conceptual song crafting and is deemed as a poignant moment they reinvented themselves and their sound. “We’ve taken it (the conceptual album) to its logical limit and it’s time to do something else,” remarked Geddy Lee. To further reinvent themselves, the band opted to record at Le Studio in Quebec which has been highly credited in the evolution of the Rush sound and would soon become their home away from home for future albums to come. Giving birth to two of the band’s most important songs in their stable, “The Spirit Of Radio” along with “Freewill” offered fans a long overdue experience: regular radio play. Additionally, the album features the cinematic “Jacob’s Ladder,” the album’s third single “Entre Nous,” the Geddy Lee lyric penned “Different Strings” and the barometer for pure progressive rock “Natural Science.”
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    The addition of pedals is cool, but the thing that really got my attention was Neil's chimes during the Soliloquy section. That and Ged's impassioned "spills ooooooverrrrr er er er..." and Alex's bend/feedback at the very end. Gives me goosebumps!

Oh man

So between the St. Louis 1980 show and the live tracks on the 40th anniversary boxed set, it looks like the only missing track is "A Passage to Bangkok." If you wanted to stitch it together, the version of "A Passage to Bangkok" on Exit... Stage Left is from the Permanent Waves tour (June 1980, Glasgow, Scotland).
    Chad

The guy on the new cover looks like Tony Kaye...

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    ...all newly mixed by the band’s longtime producer Terry Brown....
    Always makes me nervous with live releases.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

So looking at my Rush live recordings, i have the St Louis 1980 show only on vinyl. Anyone willing to provide me with a download of the digital version?

I've got WAV files of this:

St. Louis '80 Thir13en Remaster
    Media: 1 CDr
    Time: 73:09
    Source: Pre-broadcast LP
    Date: February 14, 1980

2112 14:51
    By-Tor And The Snow Dog 5:15
    Xanadu 12:18
    The Spirit Of Radio 5:19
    Natural Science 8:24
    Beneath, Between, Behind 2:29
    Working Man 3:31
    Anthem 2:03
    Bastille Day 1:29
    In The Mood 7:49
    La Villa Strangiato 9:52