Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RUSH 'Permanent Waves' 40 boxset 03.27.2020

Was the St. Louis show broadcast on the Biscuit or BBC Rock Hour?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    King Biscuit, I'm pretty sure.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Thanks.

I believe it was broadcasted by 'The Source' which was affiliated with Westwood One: sort of a competitor to the King Biscuit Flower Hour.

LiveInConcertFromStLouisad.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    I believe it was broadcasted by 'The Source' which was affiliated with Westwood One: sort of a competitor to the King Biscuit Flower Hour.

LiveInConcertFromStLouisad.jpg
    Actually, that seems correct from what I recall.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    So looking at my Rush live recordings, i have the St Louis 1980 show only on vinyl. Anyone willing to provide me with a download of the digital version?
    I tried to respond to the PM but I think the system keeps eating it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    All I know is that it was broadcast on WMET in Chicago. I recorded it onto an 8-track.

So between the St. Louis 1980 show and the live tracks on the 40th anniversary boxed set, it looks like the only missing track is "A Passage to Bangkok." If you wanted to stitch it together, the version of "A Passage to Bangkok" on Exit... Stage Left is from the Permanent Waves tour (June 1980, Glasgow, Scotland).
    Or you could stitch in Bangkok from Manchester 1980 if you've got this version of 2112.

So looking at my Rush live recordings, i have the St Louis 1980 show only on vinyl. Anyone willing to provide me with a download of the digital version?
    You can purchase a legal download from 7digital here.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    Or you could stitch in Bangkok from Manchester 1980 if you've got this version of 2112.
    True! (And I do.)
    Chad

Abstract Time
    Ooh - would like to get that on CD - Permanent waves tour 1980 is the 1st time I saw Rush - Nassau Coliseum age 13 - my parents wouldn't let me go to see them on the Hemispheres tour.....

not sure..... I have a radio broadcast St. Louis 2/11,12,13/1980 -

Quote Originally Posted by Abstract Time View Post
    Permanent waves tour 1980 is the 1st time I saw Rush - Nassau Coliseum age 13 - my parents wouldn't let me go to see them on the Hemispheres tour.....
    I was at both of those... the only two Rush shows I've been to, amazingly! And both times they did the COMPLETE Cygnus epic - from "Book One" on Farewell to Kings through "Book Two", the first side of Hemispheres! At the Hemispheres show they came out for the encore wearing Islanders jerseys because the Isles were about to win their first Stanley Cup the following night in that building.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    My first Rush show was in 1976, supporting 2112. The audience was sparse but I remember the show.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

The Spirit Of Radio (Live In Manchester)

"Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

I love RUSH but I’ll pass on this. Nothing here that makes me want to pay more money for an album I already have on vinyl and cd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abstract Time
    Garden dreamer said

At the Hemispheres show they came out for the encore wearing Islanders jerseys because the Isles were about to win their first Stanley Cup the following night in that building.
    I remember some one in the band had an Islander Jersey on (the permanent waves show) I think it was Geddy - 1980 - I don't remember the exact date - It wasn't cold out side so it was either fall or spring - I also Remember Sulpher clouds everywhere (outside) it was after Mt. St. Helens erupted ( I guess you could google these events to find the exact dates....)

Googie says =

"On March 16, 1980, the first sign of activity at Mount St. Helens occurred as a series of small earthquakes. On March 27, after hundreds of additional earthquakes, the volcano produced its first eruption in over 100 years."

The 1980 Stanley Cup Finals was the championship series of the National Hockey League's 1979–80 season, and the culmination of the 1980 Stanley Cup playoffs.
    Dates: May 13 – May 24

May 23, 1980

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/...-7bd97a04.html

http://rush.thewholive.net/tour-list...ID=1&Year=1980

Peace; have a nice day : - )
    Last edited by Abstract Time; 02-23-2020 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    Probably my fav Rush tune ever. I also drive by this place twice every day (Mid-Hudson Civic Center in Poughkeepsie) for work
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    My first Rush show was in 1976, supporting 2112. The audience was sparse but I remember the show.
    Imagine how many would love to go to that show now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    Thanks, Bruno. Nice to hear other live renditions versus the more well-known recordings.

I wanted to see where Poughkeepsie was relative to the overall PW tour. There are a couple flubs on this recording and I figured it must have been early in the tour. Sure enough, this was about 10 shows in (they had previewed the album in their month-long Fall '79 tour, but I'm not sure if "Jacob's Ladder" was on that setlist.)

But this was back in the day when bands still endured grueling slogs. They started the 1980 tour January 17th in New Brunswick and other than a few week-long breaks were on the road constantly throughout the US, Canda and the UK until late June. It must have felt like being in the military, wondering when your next leave was going to come up.

I'm amazed they had the energy after all that to go right back into the studio to produce Moving Pictures (and then start the touring cycle all over again!)

P.S. An interesting factoid: According to Wikipedia each band member earned $1000 per show on that tour, which means they each netted about $100K by the end of the tour. Not bad money for 1980, especially considering Rush still had somewhat of a cult following back then.
    Last edited by Paulrus; 02-25-2020 at 02:00 PM.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    (they had previewed the album in their month-long Fall '79 tour, but I'm not sure if "Jacob's Ladder" was on that setlist.)
    They only previewed Spirit of Radio and Freewill. That was the first tour I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    They only previewed Spirit of Radio and Freewill. That was the first tour I saw.
    September set list:

2112 (excluding "Discovery" and "Oracle: The Dream")
    A Passage to Bankok
    By-Tor & The Snow Dog > Xanadu
    The Spirit Of Radio
    The Trees
    Cygnus X-1
    Hemispheres
    Closer to the Heart
    Freewill
    Working Man > Anthem > Bastille Day > In the Mood >
    Drum Solo
    La Villa Strangiato

Looks like this set dropped yesterday. Not a full show on disc two but I still might sucker in for this.

https://www.amazon.com/Permanent-Wav...=UTF8&qid=&sr=
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I think I might have to get this, my birthday is coming up. My only whinge as with the others is why cant they use the original cover artwork?