Thread: New music from Clannad

New music from Clannad

In advance of their farewell tour, Clannad have released a brand new single, A Celtic Dream. The song is taken from the band's forthcoming career-spanning collection In A Lifetime, releasing March 13.

The new single, one of two new tracks on the collection, has been produced by Trevor Horn, features a lyric that refers to the myths and legends of living 10 thousand years ago, and a chorus recalling the band’s early days in Donegal.

Fun fact: Enya was a member of Clannad before she was "Enya."
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I did not know they were on a farewell tour. They have made some mighty fine music over the years. Pleased that they still have some new music to offer. I offer my best wishes to that excellent band.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Fun fact: Enya was a member of Clannad before she was "Enya."
    Yes, she is one of the Brennan family. I saw her sister Moya who is still in the band do a Christmas show several years ago. She has such a beautiful voice along with Enya as well.

Nice song, thanks for posting this.

I saw them perform in Latvia when I was visiting there about 4 years ago. I met them after the show. They are genuinely warm and nice people, very down to earth and welcoming. Moya volunteered to have her photo taken with my then girlfriend and I. They did an amazing version of "Newgrange" that night.

On Friday I picked up a vinyl copy of Fuaim, featuring Eithne before she was Enya. Unlike both Clannad's subsequent, and Enya's solo albums, this one is more along the lines of Steeleye Span. Of the songs with vocals, more were sung in Gaelic than English. An interesting listen if for no other reason, for historical perspective.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I have Fuaim and a few others. I think I prefer the earlier, more traditional stuff.

Ember
    Longtime fan of Clannad, since the early releases on Shanachie. I love the traditional stuff too, but at first they were one of many bands playing roughly similar music until they moved off into their New Age/soundtrack phase. Retrospectively it's fun to retrace their evolution as they experimented with non-traditional instrumentation and more original composition. The album that really turned my head was Macalla, which IMO fully realized their attempt to create a Celtic/New Age hybrid.

Also caught Moya several times at the Sellersville Theater, where she plays frequently. With her family band, with Cormac de Barra, and other configurations. Always a memorable show. I have always considered her first solo album, "Maire," to be at least equal to the best of Clannad, an album on my all-time keeper list.

Had tickets to their farewell tour appearance in Philly in September, now postponed a year. I took the refund. No telling whether they, or us, are going to make it that far. One other time we had tickets and instead I had a heart attack. But we did at least see them in Collingswood about six years ago, from the front row no less.

Agree about her first solo album "Maire"; some fantastic songs on it!