Thread: Julie Slick--Terroir

Julie Slick--Terroir

Any opinions yet?

I ordered mine tonight (sorry I didn't crowdfund) and am looking forward to it.

I'm a sucker for anything in the Crim camp and still need to get the new Herd of Instinct album and the new Stick Men.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I got the digital download and received the cd yesterday. I'm liking it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Jefferson James
    Got the CD a couple days ago, planning on spinning this and the Lifesigns CDs this weekend. Julie rocks!

I'm definitely digging it!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Ach! Lifesigns! Another one I meant to order.

Anything in particular you want to tell us about Terroir, 'Geez?

Very nicely produced & mixed, and imho Julie has grown as both a player & writer since last I heard her.

Not for people who only listen to neo & symph.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Just got mine yesterday too. So nice to have the actual object (and I love just gazing at this artwork).

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Very nicely produced & mixed, and imho Julie has grown as both a player & writer since last I heard her.
    Definitely. It's more of a grower than the last... I mean, I enjoy the debut a lot, but this one seems like there's more depth to it.

I know it's dumb but I like seeing my name on the inner sleeve as a contributor.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I know it's dumb but I like seeing my name on the inner sleeve as a contributor.
    ^^^ X2

I've spun it a couple of times, not enough to make a real good impression, but I like what I hear so far. Julie, of course, is great. She has a great, varied approach to the bass, and the instrumentation seems more varied on this album than the first. But the revolving door of musicians creates a sort of problem, too. Albums like this always make me wish there was a band there, a cohesive group to record the songs.

It's not a reason to knock what's here, though.

Jefferson James
    I'm digging it. It's weird.

Gave it another spin today and I'm definitely digging it. It's got a dark mysterious vibe going on with loads of intersting stuff. Fit's well in the whole Crimson, Herd Of Instincts, Nerve Institute, Trey Gunn type of sound.
    Ian