Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone here saw Mr. Bungle @ The Fonda Theater ?

Mike Vennart from Oceansize I guess was in attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    It's funny because I thought to myself that Kerry King needs to take lessons from Trey so he might actually play a solo, instead of just wanking the bar.

I have a sticker of your avatar on the back of my car.
    Right? I've been saying this since before Reign In Blood!
    And after all these decades, they STILL haven't learned to solo coherently. (said with due respect for departed Hanneman)

About that sticker: where did you get it? I'd love to find one. I've been using this AV for like 20 years...

I believe I stole the original GIF from an early Oingo Boingo fan site.

TangentoAV-G.jpg
    -----------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
    causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Quote Originally Posted by Tangento View Post
    Right? I've been saying this since before Reign In Blood!
    And after all these decades, they STILL haven't learned to solo coherently. (said with due respect for departed Hanneman)

About that sticker: where did you get it? I'd love to find one. I've been using this AV for like 20 years...

I believe I stole the original GIF from an early Oingo Boingo fan site.

TangentoAV-G.jpg
    eBay.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oingo-Boing...gYyu2zuIQ4eUgg

They also have these 2:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oingo-Boing...mBpz-GEc0TkZ1Q

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oingo-Boing...xiJIt6qaLrER5w

I tried to give this current Mr Bungle another chance, but it's just not good.
    As a thrash band, they're pretty mediocre.

Oops, I'm sorry if I stated an opinion instead of praising something I don't like.

And yes Tangento, I'll have to catch FSE the next time they are in MN

Quote Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
    I'm always amazed at people who take the time to post about why they don't like something - especially in threads like this where nobody asked. I guess it's some kind of self-validation process, but it seems like a waste of time.

I like all genres of music. These Bungle shows were incredible. Stuff of legend.
    I'm always amazed when people complain about posts stating opinions on music threads...which are mostly just opinions

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    Oops, I'm sorry if I stated an opinion instead of praising something I don't like.
    Who said anything about praising something you don't like? Just go find something better to do with your life.

The point was that nobody asked if you like it or not. It's a waste of your time to come into a thread just to say you don't like something. You obviously feel triggered about something that you keep having to complain about it. It's not like you're going to convince someone that they are wrong to like it.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not good. The majority of feedback about the shows was overwhelmingly positive.

Who said anything about praising something you don't like? Just go find something better to do with your life.

The point was that nobody asked if you like it or not. It's a waste of your time to come into a thread just to say you don't like something. You obviously feel triggered about something that you keep having to complain about it. It's not like you're going to convince someone that they are wrong to like it.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not good. The majority of feedback about the shows was overwhelmingly positive.
    Ummm, I think he has every right to state his opinion. This isn't a fascist society the last time I checked. If he was being a total dick about it (which he wasn't), I think then you would be onto something. I also listened to a good chunk of the show, and I am not too overwhelmed with this incarnation of Bungle, although I love the three official albums to death. PE is a place for discussion, and as long as its civil, I don't mind hearing why somebody doesn't dig something.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

And all I said was that it seems like a waste of time to just post that you don't like something when nobody asked. I just can't imagine wanting to spend time posting in forums "I don't like it". Who cares?

It's hilarious to me that people are disappointed that the Bungle shows didn't sound like the WB albums. Bungle obviously did the thrash show because they wanted to - they weren't trying to please the most people and appease those who only like their WB albums. (I think there is also a good chance that they enjoyed subverting expectations to some degree.) At least they were courteous enough to warn people it was going to be metal only. Yet, still some people are complaining as if Bungle "lost their touch" or "went the wrong direction" or something. It's actually the opposite - they're giving new life to their thrash material and culling the people who don't like that it's part of who they are. I think it was actually more challenging for them to do an authentic all-thrash set than to play from the WB albums. They shredded. Some of the highest energy shows I've seen in a long time. Videos don't do it justice.

About half of Mike Patton's work makes me cringe. I don't like that Cardiacs used pre-recorded tracks live. I don't like the vocals in Rush or Radiohead. I think Stevie Wonder is cheesy. But I don't go around posting it in forums because it's just unnecessary negativity. Other people enjoy it, and that's fine. Life is too short to worry about what art I don't like.

I follow threads like this that I'm interested in hoping for some information - an experience someone had at a show, some insight that I'm unaware of, etc. (which is what this thread was started for). People who show up and say "well, I don't like it" (even though I wasn't there) just waste their time. I wouldn't care except that it also wastes my time.

I realize that a "progressive" forum is going to have a lot of pretentious elitists who think they have the most refined tastes, etc. and who mostly enjoy criticizing and talking about what they don't like. But I'm not going to let it stop me from venting occasionally. A Bungle thread seems like an appropriate place to do so.
    Last edited by ergalthema; 02-17-2020 at 01:40 PM.

I tried to give this current Mr Bungle another chance, but it's just not good.
    As a thrash band, they're pretty mediocre.

And yes Tangento, I'll have to catch FSE the next time they are in MN
    I haven’t watched much of the viddys. Never been a fan of watching cell phone camera shots on YT, so I can’t really comment on the music.

I‘m hoping it’ll eventually be released—Ipecac does occasionally release special concerts like Fantomas/Melvins and Patton/Kaada—and I’ll make my mind up then. But I can’t claim to know what makes good thrash. The Dead Cross album and Reign in Blood are the only proper thrash albums I own. So I’m curious what makes Bungle’s thrash mediocre and what I should explore to find superior thrash (I like both of the albums I mentioned).

I would eagerly buy this if it were to be released, and I’d be sure to hold my expectations, but I have to admit I’d be disappointed if it ... disappoints.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I haven’t watched much of the viddys. Never been a fan of watching cell phone camera shots on YT, so I can’t really comment on the music.

I‘m hoping it’ll eventually be released—Ipecac does occasionally release special concerts like Fantomas/Melvins and Patton/Kaada—and I’ll make my mind up then. But I can’t claim to know what makes good thrash. The Dead Cross album and Reign in Blood are the only proper thrash albums I own. So I’m curious what makes Bungle’s thrash mediocre and what I should explore to find superior thrash (I like both of the albums I mentioned).

I would eagerly buy this if it were to be released, and I’d be sure to hold my expectations, but I have to admit I’d be disappointed if it ... disappoints.
    Exodus, Overkill, Anthrax, Testament, Laaz Rockit, Kreator, Death Angel, Vio-Lence, Flotsam and Jetsam, Forbidden, early Metallica, Megadeth & Voivod. Plenty of options.

No, nothing that I heard from the concert videos was new. So what. It was still solid. I remember hearing some of the old demo and the quality was so crappy I didn't bother for long, so this was a fresh thing from some players I know from other things, and it was fun. I'm still a thrash fan, so this scratched an itch. I'd totally go to a show.

Dead Cross isn't so much thrash as it is a progression on the surf core style of Retox. The bass player in Dead Cross is the singer for Retox. Same guitar player. They're intense and really good.

Dude, I really liked the albums. Saw them on every tour. Watched multiple videos of this incarnation and stated that I didn't like it...on a thread that is A MR BUNGLE THREAD!
    So I'm not sure why I'm the asshole for stating my opinion.
    Or is it just because I don't agree with you, and you can't accept people who disagree with you?
    Guess what? That's what music threads are about.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Ummm, I think he has every right to state his opinion. This isn't a fascist society the last time I checked. If he was being a total dick about it (which he wasn't), I think then you would be onto something. I also listened to a good chunk of the show, and I am not too overwhelmed with this incarnation of Bungle, although I love the three official albums to death. PE is a place for discussion, and as long as its civil, I don't mind hearing why somebody doesn't dig something.
    Thanks for backing me up and being a voice of reason ...and common sense

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    Exodus, Overkill, Anthrax, Testament, Laaz Rockit, Kreator, Death Angel, Vio-Lence, Flotsam and Jetsam, Forbidden, early Metallica, Megadeth & Voivod. Plenty of options.

No, nothing that I heard from the concert videos was new. So what. It was still solid. I remember hearing some of the old demo and the quality was so crappy I didn't bother for long, so this was a fresh thing from some players I know from other things, and it was fun. I'm still a thrash fan, so this scratched an itch. I'd totally go to a show.

Dead Cross isn't so much thrash as it is a progression on the surf core style of Retox. The bass player in Dead Cross is the singer for Retox. Same guitar player. They're intense and really good.
    I agree with almost all your thrash suggestions.
    In an alternate world, the big four would be
    Forbidden, Voivod, Overkill and Flotsam & Jetsam

Damn, that lineup would be a monster show.
    Before seeing Dead Cross I told myself my metal concert days were over. Then they came and I had to go, and had a blast. Now I think I'd go to certain shows again, and certainly if the bill was something that good. Silent, the band that opened for DC was also damn good. I'd enjoy seeing them again.

I remember seeing something about one of the guitar players from Forbidden trading in his thrash card and becoming a commercial airline pilot. Gotta pay the bills, I guess.

...or "went the wrong direction" or something. It's actually the opposite - they're giving new life to their thrash material and culling the people who don't like that it's part of who they are.
    Well-said.

About half of Mike Patton's work makes me cringe. I don't like that Cardiacs used pre-recorded tracks live. I don't like the vocals in Rush or Radiohead. I think Stevie Wonder is cheesy. But I don't go around posting it in forums because it's just unnecessary negativity.
    Me neither. BTW have I ever mentioned that I despise Mars Volta, and that I require the invocation of Bruce Lee levels of discipline to keep myself from entering & shitting all over any thread with their name on it?

I like venting in Bungle threads, it's both appropriate and satisfying.

I agree with almost all your thrash suggestions.
    In an alternate world, the big four would be
    I'm gonna go with:

Kreator
    Voivod
    Sodom
    Destruction
    -----------

WTF? this just got to our local mainstream news site, of all places:

https://twitter.com/metalsucks/statu...21268761546753

Thanks for backing me up and being a voice of reason ...and common sense
    Here's the thing.

If someone on this forum clicks on a Mr. Bungle thread, they probably like the band. If someone goes to a show and comes here to report on the show and they say it was rad, they don't really need to say much more. "That was some awesome Mr. Bungling. You should totally go to the show if you like the band." That's really enough. Everyone already knows why they like the band and would be happy to have a live Bungling time. (It's a different situation entirely if someone new to the band says, "Hey, why should I like this band?" A little bit of evidence might be nice in that case.)

But if someone says they don't like it, I think we're generally looking for a reason why.

I shall exemplify. I click over on, say, a Pink Floyd thread. I've never heard A Momentary Lapse of Reason, and I ask for opinions. I'm a Floyd fan, should I check out the album? Someone replies, "No, it's shit! 80s production! Bleech!" Well, I don't mind 80s production, so maybe I'll actually really like the album (which is actually true!).

There's a burden to prove why we don't like something that's just not there when we do like something. I sorta think that's fair. I don't really care if you don't like the recent Bungle shows. But in order to better educate myself, I'd like to know why. I don't know the difference between mediocre thrash and good thrash, so I asked for some examples. I'll take a look at some of those bands and try to figure it out.

But also, meh. It doesn't really matter. I'll probably buy a live album or go to a show regardless. I mean, what the fuck else am I going to do? Bungle myself? I'd much rather have professional Bunglers Bungle the shit out of me.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

<--- Professional Bungler
    -----------

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I don't really care if you don't like the recent Bungle shows. But in order to better educate myself, I'd like to know why. I don't know the difference between mediocre thrash and good thrash, so I asked for some examples. I'll take a look at some of those bands and try to figure it out.
    I agree that it would be easier to endure complaints if they including some nuance and explanation. But "good" can really only be quantified (if at all) by whether the musicians are executing the music as intended (hence your Pink Floyd example). Someone liking one band/song/album/set over another is completely subjective. Saying these Bungle shows are"not good thrash" simply isn't true. They performed very well under the circumstances (they only had a few rehearsals before the shows, and Patton's voice went out a bit at one of the shows).

I realize that people sometimes mean "I like it" when they say "it's good", but I prefer a distinction between the two. I wish we didn't keep getting off-topic (post was originally asking people who attended the shows), but Bungle is known for challenging their fans, so it's probably inevitable.

I'm getting more mileage out of the s/t album than ever before. I LOVE "Carousal" and "Egg". I have always viewed Disco and California (both masterpieces imo) as far superior over the debut, but the s/t is really speaking to me (and possibly inching closer to those). Cleanest production too, but definitely not the warmest, that would be California (I love love love the sonics of California).
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Walking around downtown last night before the Dweezil show, we approached a guy with a shirt I quickly recognized as the Bungle rabbit logo. I just pointed at him and nodded, smiling, and he just got this big grin on his face and nodded back.
    A Bungled exchange.

They're most likely (re-)recording what they played this tour. "Scott" has a track. Pretty sure the band said that the Easter Bunny recording quality was so bad, the point of the reunion was to create a listenable version of that music.