Thread: Brian Wilson encourages boycott of Beach Boys show

Brian Wilson encourages boycott of Beach Boys show

Statement from Brian Wilson:

It has been brought to my attention that on Wednesday February 5, The Beach Boys touring group licensed by Mike Love are headlining at the Safari Club International Convention in Reno, Nevada. This organization supports trophy hunting, which Both Al (Jardine) and I are emphatically opposed to. There’s nothing we can do personally to stop the show, so please join us in signing the petition at https://www.change.org/p/beach-boys-...tPJLb0BoTY6lsU

Mike Love responds:

“We look forward to a night of great music in Reno and, as always, support freedom of thought and expression as a fundamental tenet of our rights as Americans”

https://pitchfork.com/news/brian-wil...ing-convention

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Well done Brian. F you Mike.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Trophy hunters are Make A Wish hunters, not real ones. The only difference is, rather than the Make A Wish Foundation funding their trip, they pay out of their own pockets.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

No worries here.

I have been boycotting their dross ever since I first heard it
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Trophy hunters are Make A Wish hunters, not real ones. The only difference is, rather than the Make A Wish Foundation funding their trip, they pay out of their own pockets.
    If I'm not mistaken they are also auctioning off a hunting trip in Alaska with one of President LOW IQ's nit wit son's...

What a twat Mike Love must be.

Well, I've been boycotting them since the days of Kokomo.

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    No worries here.

I have been boycotting their dross ever since I first heard it
    So you boycotted Pet Sounds?

Oh well. Your loss.

Banned
    Perhaps this thread would be better served in the Way-Way-Way Off Topic forum (or in the Political Opinion Forum). Boycotting musical expression due to personal opinions and beliefs?

At least the OP included the response from Mike Love.

Mike Love responds:

“We look forward to a night of great music in Reno and, as always, support freedom of thought and expression as a fundamental tenet of our rights as Americans”

I'm against hunting animals, period...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Mike Love = Beach Boys

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    Mike Love = Beach Boys
    Mike Love = "The Beach Boys touring group licensed by Mike Love"

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post

Mike Love responds:

“We look forward to a night of great music in Reno and, as always, Getting Paid for showing up as a fundamental tenet of our rights as Americans”
    Fixed that for you.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Banned
    Mike Love responds:

“We look forward to a night of great music in Reno and, as always, Getting Paid for showing up as a fundamental tenet of our rights as Americans”

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Thank you, but it misses the point that the quote was addressing. I don't care about Mike Love or the entire BB squabble or whether people hate him or the music of the touring group. The point was whether musical expression should be formally boycotted due to the various individuals personal or political beliefs. In this case it is the hunting aspect, but it also can be applied to any belief that one chooses. I am not a hunting enthusiast, but I recognize the right of others to hold that interest and to have a band play at their conventions. I imagine that many of the artists discussed on this site have personal beliefs that many of the posters would vehemently disagree with, but let's pick out the Mike Love/hunting topic to express our selective rage.

Thank you, but it misses the point that the quote was addressing. I don't care about Mike Love or the entire BB squabble or whether people hate him or the music of the touring group. The point was whether musical expression should be formally boycotted due to the various individuals personal or political beliefs. In this case it is the hunting aspect, but it also can be applied to any belief that one chooses. I am not a hunting enthusiast, but I recognize the right of others to hold that interest and to have a band play at their conventions. I imagine that many of the artists discussed on this site have personal beliefs that many of the posters would vehemently disagree with, but let's pick out the Mike Love/hunting topic to express our selective rage.
    I would give Brian Wilson and Al Jardine some slack in this regard, as they are talking about the band/brand that they established and are clearly most known for. Even though they are not legally in The Beach Boys any longer, they clearly are still invested in how that band/brand is being presented, particularly if Wilson still owns the right to the name.

Mike Love = Beach Boys
    Brian Wilson = The Beach Boys

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I would give Brian Wilson and Al Jardine some slack in this regard, as they are talking about the band/brand that they established and are clearly most known for. Even though they are not legally in The Beach Boys any longer, they clearly are still invested in how that band/brand is being presented, particularly if Wilson still owns the right to the name.
    Exactly, and well stated. For the same reason that the convention has a right to hire whatever band they like to play at their gathering, Brian and Al have the right to issue a boycotting encouragement. However, piling on within this forum draws out the political statements and comments that tie in other specific unrelated targets, as can be observed above. This leads to the forums discouragement on political themes and why they want them eschewed.

A cursory search will allow you to find a wide range of musical artists that have performed for/at a wide range of events that would "raise eyebrows".
    Nothing new. Many of us may remember Sun City in South Africa and how performers boycotted the location or were boycotted for their planned or actual performances there during Apartheid.

I've been to many business conferences where the entertainers really had no idea who they were performing for, it was a gig.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

piling on within this forum draws out the political statements and comments that tie in other specific unrelated targets, as can be observed above. This leads to the forums discouragement on political themes and why they want them eschewed.
    Nobody was "piling on". I was just passing on a story that I thought some here would find of interest.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    In my opinion, hunting trophies is stupid. Doesn't take much skill; even the small ones are stationary as well as deaf and blind and are unable to sense they're being stalked, therefore are little to no sport.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Brian Wilson = The Beach Boys
    Yep, he obviously doesn't need them, yet they perform his songs, showing their reliance on him.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    In my opinion, hunting trophies is stupid. Doesn't take much skill; even the small ones are stationary as well as deaf and blind and are unable to sense they're being stalked, therefore are little to no sport.
    Indeed. No 18 year old Army or Marine Corps recruit has ever been able to point a gun and shoot in boot camp.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Nobody was "piling on". I was just passing on a story that I thought some here would find of interest.
    Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't referring to your OP with the statement. In fact, I pointed out the well balanced approach you took by including both Brain/Al's announcement and Mike Love's counter response.

3Lock Box
    In my opinion, hunting trophies is stupid. Doesn't take much skill; even the small ones are stationary as well as deaf and blind and are unable to sense they're being stalked, therefore are little to no sport

Now that's hilarious.

Mike Love = Beach Boys
    Uh, no......