Thread: Thinking Plague - Upon Both Your Houses

Thinking Plague - Upon Both Your Houses

Hey this live release, From the 2000 NEARfest performance, mixed and mastered by Bob Drake is on bandcamp now
    Last edited by bill g; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Hey a new live release, From the 2000 NEARfest performance, mixed and mastered by Bob Drake on Cuneiform. On bandcamp now
    Not exactly new, it's been on CD for ages. Happy to see it's on Bandcamp, though. I was at the show, my first NEARFest, and Thinking Plague definitely gained my wife and I as fans with that performance.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Not exactly new, it's been on CD for ages. Happy to see it's on Bandcamp, though. I was at the show, my first NEARFest, and Thinking Plague definitely gained my wife and I as fans with that performance.

Bill
    Ah. It was just posted on their FB page, so I assumed it was a new release. Shamefully, I somehow missed the CD. And yes, when I saw them I was quite blown!

Awesome - need to hear some new TP
    I got nothin'

...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

live samples:
    https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/yod...om-a-live-show
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/PapaYode...=page_internal

Ah. It was just posted on their FB page, so I assumed it was a new release. Shamefully, I somehow missed the CD. And yes, when I saw them I was quite blown!
    Being blown is awesome.

Been a long time since I spun this but its a great recording imo.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

So how do their live shows compare to the albums? I'm not likely to ever see them perform, but I'd like to know if they can pull that amazing tightness off in a live setting...
    I got nothin'

live samples:

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I still have the CDs in stock if you want one.
    Chad

^^^ give us a link to buy, if you would...
    I got nothin'

live samples:

I must confess I was at this edition of NEARfest 2000 and this was the only show I left before the end. But I had a great conversation with some mind-like folks, discussing the music of Japan etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    ^^^ give us a link to buy, if you would...
    No links. The NEARfest Records site is long gone. I am happy to sell it to you direct.
    Chad

I reviewed this back on release for a zine here in Norway. Great recording of an obviously even greater performance of amazingly challenging, full-on modern progressive rock. Good to see it in circulation yet again. I need to revisit.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

So how do their live shows compare to the albums? I'm not likely to ever see them perform, but I'd like to know if they can pull that amazing tightness off in a live setting...
    They can. Very well I might add.

They can. Very well I might add.
    THat would be worth hearing... Thanks...
    I got nothin'

live samples:

Upon Both Your Houses demonstrates that the band can deliver the good live, in spades. Obviously, being live, the sound and energy level are different. But the performances here are stellar, and often give a different insight into the music.

I saw the band one other time, when I happened to be in Philadelphia after Decline and Fall came out. Instrumentally, they were fantastic, but their singer was sick and struggled a bit. It was still good, but not as mind-blowing as it could have been. Also, they didn't play for very long, again possibly due to illness.

But yes, they can pull this stuff off live.

Bill

I will say that they were awesome live at ProgDay 1999 which is why we booked them on the spot for NEARfest 2000!
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I will say that they were awesome live at ProgDay 1999 which is why we booked them on the spot for NEARfest 2000!
    Yes. That Progday show was incredible. I was hooked after that one.

And in the evening...

Wasn't their performance 'off farm' that year. Hurricane threatening if I recall!

What year was that anyway? OIC 1999. And yes indeed they certainly solidified my somewhat early appreciation with their performance. First with the then newer vocalist Deborah Perry and please correct me if I am wrong here.

Carry On
    Chris Buckley
    Last edited by winkersnufs; 1 Week Ago at 10:17 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Upon Both Your Houses demonstrates that the band can deliver the good live, in spades. Obviously, being live, the sound and energy level are different. But the performances here are stellar, and often give a different insight into the music.

I saw the band one other time, when I happened to be in Philadelphia after Decline and Fall came out. Instrumentally, they were fantastic, but their singer was sick and struggled a bit. It was still good, but not as mind-blowing as it could have been. Also, they didn't play for very long, again possibly due to illness.

But yes, they can pull this stuff off live.

Bill
    Was that in '11? Saw them at Cuneifest then & Elaine was sick and really struggling. Saw them a year later at RIO and were superb. They were the lead in to Magma.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Was that in '11? Saw them at Cuneifest then & Elaine was sick and really struggling. Saw them a year later at RIO and were superb. They were the lead in to Magma.
    Had to look back at my trip photos, but it was indeed 2011, right around Thanksgiving. They played with Red Masque and Hamster Theatre. Here's a photo from the show:

Philadelphia 2011-11-20 068.jpg

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    They played 3 additional shows around Cuneifest (The Stone, NYC - which is why they came out in the first place- Philadelphia and Boston). Elaine was sick and they didn't play at their peak at any of their shows, but they did their best and it's really hard to perform when you are ill (and to perform this stuff? )

Cuneifest was just an excuse for me to bring some of them south of NYC so I could see some of them. I can't believe I pulled this off!! - I only wish I could have taken 2 weeks off to see all of it, which I could not (I saw none of it)

Anyway, TPlague have not played in THIS country east of the rockies since 2011
    Last edited by Steve F.; 1 Week Ago at 10:59 AM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by nearfest View Post
    hmmmm
    Yeah.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

gears are turning