Thread: Nightwish - Human Nature

Nightwish - Human Nature

So lets start a new thread for the new album, here's the first preview of the preview!

Me likey!

I'm sure my daughters will tell me all about it. Huge Nitewish fans.
    I got nothin'

...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

live samples:
    https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/yod...om-a-live-show
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/PapaYode...=page_internal

The first track - Noise:

Edit: now with video!

Last edited by Steve983; 02-07-2020 at 11:43 AM.

Nice!

I like it. Looking forward to the full album!
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Nightwish have announced a few North American dates. Looks like the band are really cutting back on touring this time, perhaps they're fed up with playing big American tours for little gain when they do so well Europe. Their China shows have been postponed to October according to an interview I saw with Tuomas but does not show that on their website.

In September we will play a select amount of dates in North America!

September 8 - Canada - Toronto - Meridian Hall
    September 11 - United States - Los Angeles - The Hollywood Palladium
    September 12 - United States - Los Angeles - The Hollywood Palladium
    September 15 - United States - New York- Terminal Five

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Nightwish have announced a few North American dates. Looks like the band are really cutting back on touring this time, perhaps they're fed up with playing big American tours for little gain when they do so well Europe.
    According to their drummer's Facebook posts, they intended to do a big North American tour as well, but the planned co-headliner (whose name wasn't disclosed) dropped out.

^^^ Aha, interesting. Thanks for that.

Another new song - Troy on vocals!

And another wonderful track:

Anyone else got this yet? Since the release here in the UK seems to be a week after everywhere else I succumbed to temptation and bought a WAV download from Qubuz, really enjoying it on a first listen.

Mine finally arrived this week, just the 2-CD jewel case version. Usually with them, I spring for the deluxe editions but I'm keeping to a stricter budget at the moment with everything that's going on. I think it's great, although I've read some pretty scathing reviews. Disc 2 is beautiful, I'm very impressed with Tuomas' ability to compose pieces like that - and I as a big listener of film scores and orchestral music, I always like that aspect of his music anyway, so this is right up my alley.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Mine finally arrived this week, just the 2-CD jewel case version. Usually with them, I spring for the deluxe editions but I'm keeping to a stricter budget at the moment with everything that's going on. I think it's great, although I've read some pretty scathing reviews. Disc 2 is beautiful, I'm very impressed with Tuomas' ability to compose pieces like that - and I as a big listener of film scores and orchestral music, I always like that aspect of his music anyway, so this is right up my alley.
    This reminds me that I need to order it.

We pre-ordered the CD set. We're really very impressed with the intricacy, particularly of the melody lines that Tuomas gave to Floor! Music, Harvest, and How's the Heart? are current favorites. Great release - and more prog than metal IMHO.

I finally got mine a couple of weeks ago and have given it significant spins. It is different from most of the albums that came before, but I really like it. They seem to have give Troy more to do, and he even sings lead on one of the tracks. Floor is amazing as always. I would agree with ProgFamily that the metal is toned down quite a bit on this one, although there are still some heavy spots.

The second all instrumental disc is good, although not something I will probably listen to much. I sounds like a soundtrack to a non existent movie.

Got the album a little over a week ago and I am getting more and more impressed with it. I knew of Nightwish but basically everything they did in their early days (i.e. Tarja era) didn't do much for me mostly because of Tarja's vocals. It was only after Floor became involved that they reappeared on my radar so to speak and especially after seeing the episode of a Dutch tv show called De Reunie (Class Reunion) in 2016 that focused on the first class to graduate from the Rock Academy in Tilburg, the Netherlands. That was quite an amazing class as some very accomplished Dutch musicians were in that class. Some of them had more succes then others (quite interesting is the fact that one of Floor's classmates, Danny Vera, had his big breakthrough to a mainstream audience in 2019) but at that time pretty much no one knew that Floor had such big success being part of Nightwish. The tv show actually visited her ar the big Tampere live show.

So that was my introduction to Nightwish and I thought it was intrigueing but I did not follow it up until she appeared on that other Dutch tv show called Beste Zangers. Shortly after that I bought the Endless Forms Most Beautiful album and I was hooked.

The new album to me feels like a further evolutions from Endless Forms but this time much more cohesive, despite the fact that the album is in itself a disjointed affair with two vastly different CDs. The Human cd at least to me feels heavier then a lot of stuff on Endless but what I am most impressed by so far is the composition of the tracks on that album and the unity between some of the music and the lyrics. These are very wordy songs but where on Endless it bordered on being cringey (the cheese is never that far away with Nightwish) on this album Tuomas pretty much struck the right balance. Love the opening double punch of Music and Noise and Shoemaker is IMHO the best song he has written (am I the only thinking that the section Troy sings on this one is written from the perspective of Eugene Shoemaker i.e. he is singing to us, urging us on to explore?).

And the more I listen to CD 2 the more I am liking it, it feels more like a whole than The Greatest Show On Earth.

Now, when is Nightwish going to actually perform live with an orchestra because AFAIK they have never done that?

I've listened to a few of the tracks. And while I found the music good for what it is, and the lyrics at least well-intentioned, the two do not work together. At least not to my ears. They sound as if one person wrote the melodies, someone else wrote the lyrics, and then a third person (with limited English) then attempted to shoehorn the two together. Yet Tuomas wrote all of them, from what I understand, and both he and Floor seem to have a decent command of English. It's impressive that she managed to get the words out semi-intelligibly.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Got the album a little over a week ago and I am getting more and more impressed with it. I knew of Nightwish but basically everything they did in their early days (i.e. Tarja era) didn't do much for me mostly because of Tarja's vocals. It was only after Floor became involved that they reappeared on my radar so to speak and especially after seeing the episode of a Dutch tv show called De Reunie (Class Reunion) in 2016 that focused on the first class to graduate from the Rock Academy in Tilburg, the Netherlands. That was quite an amazing class as some very accomplished Dutch musicians were in that class. Some of them had more succes then others (quite interesting is the fact that one of Floor's classmates, Danny Vera, had his big breakthrough to a mainstream audience in 2019) but at that time pretty much no one knew that Floor had such big success being part of Nightwish. The tv show actually visited her ar the big Tampere live show.

So that was my introduction to Nightwish and I thought it was intrigueing but I did not follow it up until she appeared on that other Dutch tv show called Beste Zangers. Shortly after that I bought the Endless Forms Most Beautiful album and I was hooked.

The new album to me feels like a further evolutions from Endless Forms but this time much more cohesive, despite the fact that the album is in itself a disjointed affair with two vastly different CDs. The Human cd at least to me feels heavier then a lot of stuff on Endless but what I am most impressed by so far is the composition of the tracks on that album and the unity between some of the music and the lyrics. These are very wordy songs but where on Endless it bordered on being cringey (the cheese is never that far away with Nightwish) on this album Tuomas pretty much struck the right balance. Love the opening double punch of Music and Noise and Shoemaker is IMHO the best song he has written (am I the only thinking that the section Troy sings on this one is written from the perspective of Eugene Shoemaker i.e. he is singing to us, urging us on to explore?).

And the more I listen to CD 2 the more I am liking it, it feels more like a whole than The Greatest Show On Earth.

Now, when is Nightwish going to actually perform live with an orchestra because AFAIK they have never done that?
    Nice review and pretty close to what I think about the album. I had thought they did perform with an orchestra, but I looked on YouTube and did not find anything, so I must be mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I've listened to a few of the tracks. And while I found the music good for what it is, and the lyrics at least well-intentioned, the two do not work together. At least not to my ears. They sound as if one person wrote the melodies, someone else wrote the lyrics, and then a third person (with limited English) then attempted to shoehorn the two together. Yet Tuomas wrote all of them, from what I understand, and both he and Floor seem to have a decent command of English. It's impressive that she managed to get the words out semi-intelligibly.
    Lyrics have never been Nightwish's strong point. As the other poster said, the cheese factor is never very far away.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgFamily View Post
    We pre-ordered the CD set. We're really very impressed with the intricacy, particularly of the melody lines that Tuomas gave to Floor! Music, Harvest, and How's the Heart? are current favorites. Great release - and more prog than metal IMHO.
    I really love it too. For me its maybe not quite as good as Endless Forms but that was a high standard to match and this still serves as an excellent sequel. My faves are Shoemaker, Pan, Procession and Endlessness, although I would have preferred more Floor and less Marco on the final track. Also have to love How's The Heart? I agree they are following a more Prog trajectory which maybe upsets some of their older fans. I cant help thinking more Prog fans would love this band if they gave them a chance. Love the lyrics and concept too.