Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Survivor - Season 40 And Onward

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Survivor really has evolved into a game of strategy and head games moreso than the mere survival of being out in the wilderness. I don't know if that's what they envisioned in the beginning or just ran with it once it seemed that that aspect of the game was more popular/used. I personally don't mind the food and etc. as I think the gameshow aspect of the show has always been more apparent their in a show like Survivorman or Alone or what have you, even if it wasn't taken to this extreme in the early seasons.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    That's a good question.

Does anyone watch Naked and Afraid? We watched an episode where the woman tapped out on, like, day 3 and the man continued on his own. He got to day 20 of a 21 day challenge and the producers came out to tell him that they had to pull the plug because of Covid. I forget where they were but the border was closing, all flights were being cancelled, and they basically had 12 hour to get out of the country. The contestant had been completely isolated from the world for 20 days and had no idea what was going on. It was crazy to watch!

All episodes after that were filmed in the U.S, in some of the toughest conditions I've ever seen on that show.
    Man, I would have been pissed if that was me!* All that effort and struggle and to "lose" by one day due to the something so far out of my control. Oof.

*It would never be me as I would never sign up for it for many many reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I switched to Alone on the History channel. 10 people spread out through the rugged Artic wilderness surviving individually - "Alone" Last person standing wins $500k
    This reminds me of that show Siberia that was on NBC. I don't know how many people watched it, but it was a scripted show that pretended to be a reality show (at least early on), but the concept I thought would make a good reality show. It was basically like Alone, except all the people lived together so there is ample opportunity for conflict. If I can I might check this one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I'd prefer just all new folks, without any returnees or this vs. that stuff. Honestly I wish somehow they can find people who have never watched the show before. I miss those earlier seasons when it was a free-for-all of stupidity
    More stupid people is not a recipe I want on any show, reality or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    This reminds me of that show Siberia that was on NBC. I don't know how many people watched it, but it was a scripted show that pretended to be a reality show (at least early on), but the concept I thought would make a good reality show. It was basically like Alone, except all the people lived together so there is ample opportunity for conflict. If I can I might check this one out.
    That was the ... weirdest show ever!
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    That was the ... weirdest show ever!
    It was pretty strange. I'm still slightly upset that the royal baby was born and they had to combine the last two episodes into one to fit their new time constraints. I did like it though, especially in concept of scripting a typically unscripted show.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Are you able to view Pluto.tv ?
    No. I've tried it before (and I just tried again). The pickings are very slim. No Survivor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Yes! I remember this show! I really liked it...had a LOST vibe. The acting was pretty crappy, but the storyline had me glued. Too bad it only lasted one season.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Yes! I remember this show! I really liked it...had a LOST vibe. The acting was pretty crappy, but the storyline had me glued. Too bad it only lasted one season.
    I assumed the not great acting just went along with faux-reality show vibe. But yes, a second season would have been great (although alot would have changed from the main premise at that point).

Bring back the car giveaways on the island!!!
    And make them eat nasty native delicacies.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    And make them eat nasty native delicacies.
    That's the one thing I HATE about Survivor and similar shows - forcing people to eat weird shit.

I detest that and think it should be banned.
    Regards,

Duncan

We sorta wished for this season:

https://parade.com/1255516/mikebloom...medium=twitter

“Survivor 41 will birth a new era of Survivor,” host and executive producer Jeff Probst tells Parade, “with a faster, more dangerous and much more intense game. We really leaned into having fun with this season and the best kind of Survivor fun is the dangerous kind.”

So with a relatively blank slate to start Survivor’s third decade on air, the show has made some changes in a departure from the recent seasons before it. That starts with the theme, or in this case, lack thereof. For the first time since the first half of the series, there will not be a titled theme around either cast divisions or mysterious power-granting islands. Instead, the season is going by a simple name: Survivor 41.

“In birthing a new era of Survivor,” Probst explains, “we are letting go, for now at least, of casting themes or seasons built around a specific twist. Those ideas served us very well for 20 years, but now it’s time for something new. The new players and the gameplay will define each season, much like a Super Bowl or any other regular sporting event.”

And that gameplay will have to operate in a shorter runtime as well. Survivor 41 will run for 26 days, a big change for fans out there used to hearing the classic phrase, “39 days, 20 people, 1 Survivor!” Probst says that production’s choice was made to help accelerate gameplay, and all elements of the season have been adjusted to fit the new timeframe “to ensure those 26 days are unrelenting.”

Indeed, if there seems to be any theme for season 41, it’s “danger.” That not only comes from the gameplay, which will now run in a more rapid-paced timeframe. Tribes will stay small throughout the season, meaning that players have nowhere to hide as the numbers dwindle. But that also reflects in the actual survival aspects in Survivor, which seem to be taking center stage for season 41.

“The tribes are not given any daily food staple, and Reward Challenges are scarce,” Probst says. “This had a tremendous impact immediately as their mental and physical energy is instantly challenged. And votes are often at risk, which means you can’t ever rely on how many votes your alliance will have at any Tribal Council. And advantages now often come with massive risks. In order to earn an advantage, you have to successfully navigate something risky. This is a new version of Survivor. There is no way to compare past seasons.”

This is interesting. Survivor had become kind of cushy, so I'm happy to see them bring back a more challenging game. Having said that, I also don't want to see people starving and suffering. These contestants are not survivalists who can hunt for their food. I like the idea of risk for reward. Hopefully this means no easy-to-find immunity idols.

I hope the cast that they chose are able to live up to this and aren't expecting the usual game, otherwise, it sounds like we could have some dropouts.

This is interesting. Survivor had become kind of cushy, so I'm happy to see them bring back a more challenging game. Having said that, I also don't want to see people starving and suffering. These contestants are not survivalists who can hunt for their food. I like the idea of risk for reward. Hopefully this means no easy-to-find immunity idols.

I hope the cast that they chose are able to live up to this and aren't expecting the usual game, otherwise, it sounds like we could have some dropouts.
    Agreed. But for all their talk about simplifying the game, there's still this...

...And advantages now often come with massive risks. In order to earn an advantage, you have to successfully navigate something risky...

They can't help themselves - they just have to f*** with the format! I wish they'd eliminate these "advantages", and keep the game 100% vanilla.
    Regards,

Duncan

I thought the dynamics of the game were great when they had to fend for themselves and fish. That brought a different element of strategy as some did not want to get rid of the food providers.

They can't help themselves - they just have to f*** with the format! I wish they'd eliminate these "advantages", and keep the game 100% vanilla.

Agreed. But for all their talk about simplifying the game, there's still this...

I like the advantages, but did not like how one-sided they were. Adding a risk is a good way to temper the benefit of advantages. Shortening to 26 days is a great idea and one sure to keep the contestants more lively. It's usually the back third of the game that turns into a group of unwashed, unfed, people lying around unable to lift themselves off the bamboo bed.

I thought the dynamics of the game were great when they had to fend for themselves and fish. That brought a different element of strategy as some did not want to get rid of the food providers.
    Yes. This is a good point.

Come on in guys!

Come on in guys!

You said "guys"!
    Regards,

Duncan

Watched the first episode last night. My wife’s family are doing their $25 to enter winner takes all Survivor pool again and I have the Ex-NFL guy, so will be rooting for him. As for the show itself, I am all for diversity & inclusion, but the show seems to be going a bit overboard in trying to be diverse and politically correct to me this year. I am also already tired of the sappy backstories. It is kind of like watching the Olympics all over again. More than ever, it seems like they deliberately pick people who have backstories that make good television, possibly over people who would make better contestants. Anyway, those are my impressions of the first episode, but I am in for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Watched the first episode last night. My wife’s family are doing their $25 to enter winner takes all Survivor pool again and I have the Ex-NFL guy, so will be rooting for him. As for the show itself, I am all for diversity & inclusion, but the show seems to be going a bit overboard in trying to be diverse and politically correct to me this year. I am also already tired of the sappy backstories. It is kind of like watching the Olympics all over again. More than ever, it seems like they deliberately pick people who have backstories that make good television, possibly over people who would make better contestants. Anyway, those are my impressions of the first episode, but I am in for the season.
    Spot on with the Olympics comparison and I agree it's over the top. I prefer to get to know the contestants at a similar pace to their revealing themselves, not a sappy, camera filtered flashback. One thing I thought was super cool was showing Jeff hid the idol and how close Tiffany came to finding it.

As for contestants and being "cast" rather than selected, I wholeheartedly agree. Last year I read an article that indicated Survivor has taken to seeking cast members via referrals from past contestants based on "fit for the show" rather than eager competitor.

I almost threw my dog at the TV with that "come on in guys" woke horseshit. (To avoid cancellation I didn't actually consider throwing my dog) sorry, I'll stop now before I go on a rant 8 pages long. I have no patience with this crap anymore.

Carry on. I'll still probably watch...but angrily

I almost threw my dog at the TV with that "come on in guys" woke horseshit. (To avoid cancellation I didn't actually consider throwing my dog) sorry, I'll stop now before I go on a rant 8 pages long. I have no patience with this crap anymore. ..
    I'm with ya, brother!
    Regards,

Duncan

I almost threw my dog at the TV with that "come on in guys" woke horseshit. (To avoid cancellation I didn't actually consider throwing my dog) sorry, I'll stop now before I go on a rant 8 pages long. I have no patience with this crap anymore.

Carry on. I'll still probably watch...but angrily
    picturing Klonk watching "angrily"

Carl_Fredricksen.jpg