Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 226

Thread: Transatlantic-- new album confirmed

  1. #1

    Transatlantic-- new album confirmed

    The new Radiant newsletter confirms that recording is now taking place on the next Transatlantic album, no due date as yet. They're also offering a couple of good promo deals, including the five-disc (two DVD, three CD) version of "KaLiveScope" for $4.99.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sussex, England.
    Posts
    1,642
    How much to make them stop?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,225
    Let's hope it turns out to be in the same vein as "The Whirlwind", which I thought was their best release to date. I also hope that everyone from the previous line-up is on board for the recording.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    I also hope that everyone from the previous line-up is on board for the recording.
    The release names all of the core four. I don't think the fifth onstage guy is involved in the recording.

  5. #5
    So, are you saying "Don't be with that skank cuz it hurts to be alone"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    How much to make them stop?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    How much to make them stop?
    They're not exactly prolific.

  7. #7
    Member dgtlman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Let's hope it turns out to be in the same vein as "The Whirlwind", which I thought was their best release to date. I also hope that everyone from the previous line-up is on board for the recording.
    Although Whirlwind is good I found the title track exhausting. A 70 minute epic is just too much.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    Although Whirlwind is good I found the title track exhausting. A 70 minute epic is just too much.
    I rarely listened to the whole thing front-to-back after the first few spins. But fortunately they split the sections up into separate tracks so I could just listen to the bits I wanted to.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    Although Whirlwind is good I found the title track exhausting. A 70 minute epic is just too much.
    It's one 77 minute track according to the band but it actually plays like a 12 track concept album with recurring themes, so nothing stops you from taking a break in the middle or anywhere else!
    I've always seen Whirlwind as an album of 12 short-ish tracks which I think is a welcome break from the formula of the other 3 albums with the obligatory 25-30 minute epics.
    I wish they would break the formula with the new one again but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

    Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    The new Radiant newsletter confirms that recording is now taking place on the next Transatlantic album, no due date as yet.
    A new album has been confirmed a few months ago as they recorded the backing tracks at Roine's in Sweden. The only news here is that Neal is recording his overdubs in his studio which was pretty much expected at this point. I think I read somewhere that the planned release date is September but don't quote me on this.
    Last edited by LeFrog; 02-03-2020 at 05:53 PM.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    4,529
    Auto buy for me.

  11. #11
    It’s going to be a 240-minute epic spread across three discs. The first pressing will have a bonus discs full of Beatles, Toto and Dan Fogelberg covers.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

  12. #12
    Bring it on!! And I have a feeling there will be more than a few Rush cover songs on the bonus disc....
    "Moustache stays right where it's at" - Clutch

  13. #13
    Member mnprogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    849
    Bridge Across SMPT:e part 3 please.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Bring it on!! And I have a feeling there will be more than a few Rush cover songs on the bonus disc....
    It would make sense but they recorded the backing tracks months before Peart's passing.

  15. #15
    Member dgtlman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    It's one 77 minute track according to the band but it actually plays like a 12 track concept album with recurring themes, so nothing stops you from taking a break in the middle or anywhere else!
    Jeeze I realize that. It's just not my cuppa that's all.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    It’s going to be a 240-minute epic spread across three discs. The first pressing will have a bonus discs full of Beatles, Toto and Dan Fogelberg covers.
    Is it really happening?

    Well, if that does transpire, I look forward to their take on "Africa".

    While I am normally not thrilled with cover tunes, I did enjoy most of the cover cuts on "The Whirlwind". Only the "I Need You" medley left me unimpressed. But their take on Genesis, Procol and Santana classics was indeed impressive.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    It’s going to be a 240-minute epic spread across three discs. The first pressing will have a bonus discs full of Beatles, Toto and Dan Fogelberg covers.
    Any titles for the covers?

    Really curious about the Dan Fogelberg track!

  18. #18
    NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,822
    It's a joke, friends.
    Chad

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    Jeeze I realize that. It's just not my cuppa that's all.
    Obviously anyone can take a break wherever they like, and I wasn't taking a shot at you, sorry if I sounded like it.

    What I meant was that presenting it as a single 77 minute track, as the band have chosen to do, is rather off-putting when in fact the album is clearly made up of shorter tracks most of which can stand on their own without even sounding like they were removed from a larger piece.

    Another very long track I'm familiar with is Mei by Echolyn (49 minutes) which was deliberately composed as a single piece without the possibility to find a section which can really stand on its own as a shorter song with a regular structure. I don't think TA have achieved this with The Whirlwind, despite their claim that it is in fact one single track.

  20. #20
    I'm sure I'll get it, though I found the last one very underwhelming. I mean, it wasn't bad and I could enjoy some of it while it was on, but other than hating Shine, it left no impression on me. Felt like it was phoned it, frankly. Based on these guys other projects (except Pete, as I haven't heard anything else he's done in the last 20 years), I feel like they are loosing their mojo. Or maybe have just repeated themselves too many times for me to still enjoy it. Not sure which, but either way, I'll be approaching this with pretty low expectations.

  21. #21
    For me personally, Neal Morse's style has just gotten a bit old; within Transatlantic I find it a bit better because he's not the sole writer. I'm also not a huge Portnoy fan, but I love Roine and Pete, so I figure I'll still pick this one up. I still enjoy some of those Transatlantic songs from time to time, but I don't spin them like I used to 10-15 years ago.

    Kaleidoscope was okay, I didn't love it but I also didn't hate it.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    It's a joke, friends.
    Doh!

  23. #23
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    4,155
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    For me personally, Neal Morse's style has just gotten a bit old; within Transatlantic I find it a bit better because he's not the sole writer. I'm also not a huge Portnoy fan, but I love Roine and Pete, so I figure I'll still pick this one up. I still enjoy some of those Transatlantic songs from time to time, but I don't spin them like I used to 10-15 years ago.

    Kaleidoscope was okay, I didn't love it but I also didn't hate it.
    What I love about the TA releases, is the live shows for touring the record which kick ass
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  24. #24
    Member BobM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ponte Vedra, FL
    Posts
    569
    Prog appreciation night on the turntable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

  25. #25
    Member dgtlman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Obviously anyone can take a break wherever they like, and I wasn't taking a shot at you, sorry if I sounded like it.
    Hey no problem sir.
    Although I absolutely love TA I just couldn't wrap my head around that album for some reason. To me it just seemed to drone on and on. I love big epics but this one was just too much for me & I guess I just got bored with it... even the live DVD too. I am very happy about them recording new music & I definitely hope they tour (Stateside hopefully too).

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •