Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Transatlantic-- new album confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Prog appreciation night on the turntable.
    Purty!

I understand I am in the minority here, but buying the physical CD only to record it digitally and then throwing it away has kept me from buying Whirlwind. I am not sure why they never offered a download version.

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    I understand I am in the minority here, but buying the physical CD only to record it digitally and then throwing it away has kept me from buying Whirlwind. I am not sure why they never offered a download version.
    Bandcamp has shown that downloads are less expensive and include higher definition files as well. I only listen to Apple Lossless or higher, unless listening to streaming radio where I like 256K.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    There is a used CD market in case you didn't know

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post

A new album has been confirmed a few months ago as they recorded the backing tracks at Roine's in Sweden. The only news here is that Neal is recording his overdubs in his studio which was pretty much expected at this point. I think I read somewhere that the planned release date is September but don't quote me on this.
    During some of the announcements at last years "Morsefest" the MC made a comment that next years Morsefest would be "extremely special" and should not be missed. I immediately thought of Transatlantic (seeing as Flying Colors was the Friday night feature that weekend).

The September timeline - if accurate - would line up for this to be the case.

Didn't think I could afford or get the time off to go this year but seeing Transatlantic in that atmosphere would be hard to pass up.

That would be cool

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    How much to make them stop?
    🤣
    I lollered

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Let's hope it turns out to be in the same vein as "The Whirlwind", which I thought was their best release to date. I also hope that everyone from the previous line-up is on board for the recording.
    Proving the adage , Different strokes for different folks , Whirlwind is when they lost me. To churchy.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Proving the adage , Different strokes for different folks , Whirlwind is when they lost me. To churchy.
    Understood, and probably a sentiment shared by other previous fans of their output. "Whirlwind" closely aligned with the solo releases that Neal had been producing since 2003, such as Testimony, One, ?, Sola Scriptura, etc. More religious content than what Transatlantic had produced, however, I liked the urgency in the musical content itself and I can always listen to the lyrics to appreciate the spiritual ideas that Neal was espousing. And, the bonus cuts were pretty enjoyable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Understood, and probably a sentiment shared by other previous fans of their output. "Whirlwind" closely aligned with the solo releases that Neal had been producing since 2003, such as Testimony, One, ?, Sola Scriptura, etc. More religious content than what Transatlantic had produced, however, I liked the urgency in the musical content itself and I can always listen to the lyrics to appreciate the spiritual ideas that Neal was espousing. And, the bonus cuts were pretty enjoyable as well.
    Honestly, compared to Neal's solo stuff you mentioned, Whirlwind was positively agnostic. It's really only that last track (or section, if you prefer) that the praise jesus meter starts to register for me. I personally don't mind his religious heavy lyrics on his solo stuff, even though I'm not at all religious myself. So Whirlwind didn't bother me at all.

Also, if I was bothered by poor lyrics, I wouldn't be a prog fan

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Also, if I was bothered by poor lyrics, I wouldn't be a prog fan
    Zing!

We need another Whirlwind. Acknowledged by the Prog Report to be the best Prog album since 1990.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    We need another Whirlwind. Acknowledged by the Prog Report to be the best Prog album since 1990.
    https://progreport.com/top-30-prog-albums/

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Afraid I can't agree with that at all, and I really like The Whirlwind. Not even close to the best since 1990, IMO. Not sure what I would pick, as that would be extremely difficult and I know I haven't heard every prog album released since 1990. I do know it wouldn't be the Whirlwind, though it would probably make the top 30 or so for me.

Afraid I can't agree with that at all, and I really like The Whirlwind. Not even close to the best since 1990, IMO. Not sure what I would pick, as that would be extremely difficult and I know I haven't heard every prog album released since 1990. I do know it wouldn't be the Whirlwind, though it would probably make the top 30 or so for me.
    Same here.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I never made it through one listen of "The Whirlwind." I honestly haven't liked much since the first album. The second album as okay.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I never made it through one listen of "The Whirlwind." I honestly haven't liked much since the first album. The second album as okay.
    The first album is still far and away my favorite. The next two I do like a lot, but Kscope was a disappointment.

Are you saying you've never heard the whole thing?

Maybe I have reached the saturation point, and I've been a big TA fan, but I just don't think the prog world needs a new TA album if it's a other replica of Bridge Across Forever and Kaleidoscope, with two formulaic 25 minute epics bookending a bunch of shorter tracks. I am perfectly satisfied with Bridge, there's no need to replicate it. I would still go and see them live though for old times sake. Still a part of me hopes I'll be surprised by the new one...

Taking in consideration what some members are doing now like The Flower Kings (Roine Stolt) will be touring this spring and Mike Portnoy is currently touring with The Sons of Apollo and will be on the Cruise.
    So if a fall TA release is expected, then an early 2021 Winter tour should follow if my estimations work out and I hope so, I've never seen TA Live so this would be one more to cross out of my bucket list. Neal likes touring in the Winter months like he did with his band in 2017 and 2018. Get ready Tilburg!

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Are you saying you've never heard the whole thing?
    Yes. I couldn't make it through.
    Chad

I still have the first two albums, which are great. Those'll do me. Lost interest once Neal went solo.

Unbelievable

^ My thoughts exactly.

I think Whirlwind was my favorite, at least in part because it was split up into much shorter tracks and I found it more digestible than the first two CDs. I could just pick a few songs to listen to when I felt like it; didn't feel like it required as much time commitment as SMPTe or Bridge, not that I didn't enjoy those discs.

Still not sure how I feel about Kaleidoscope though...

I really like The Whirlwind. Not even close to the best since 1990, IMO. Not sure what I would pick, as that would be extremely difficult and I know I haven't heard every prog album released since 1990.
    But you no longer need to have heard much to passively agree. In fact you don't need to have heard much to decide either.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM