Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Transatlantic-- new album confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    It's Comfort Prog but there's nothing wrong with putting on toasty socks, grabbing some hot coffee and sitting down to enjoy music that doesn't make you anxious.
    Very true.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    maybe I shouldn't?..I dunno, i just know those 1st 2 albums when they came out, and still to this day sounded incredibly fresh and engaging. And this just sounds saccharine to me, much like their last 2 did.

But then again, Neal's solo and NMB stuff doesn't sound fresh or engaging either like the work he did with Spock's.

I guess I'll check more of it out when it's available, but yeah, i guess for me to expect something to catch my ear like SMPT:e and Bridge it seems unlikely.
    I understand. When it comes to Transatlantic, it was actually The Whirlwind that I liked the most. I've come to appreciate the first two more since then, but Whirlwind is still my favorite -- musically it's more interesting to me, for some reason. I'm curious to see how this new one sounds in relation to the others once it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I understand. When it comes to Transatlantic, it was actually The Whirlwind that I liked the most. I've come to appreciate the first two more since then, but Whirlwind is still my favorite -- musically it's more interesting to me, for some reason. I'm curious to see how this new one sounds in relation to the others once it comes out.
    I am of the same view as you, relative to The Whirlwind. I know it's generally not that popular here on PE, but to me it brings out all the things that I like about the musicians' work. The disc-long epic, which blows me away (excuse the pun), and then some nice original and cover tracks on the Bonus Disc. I am especially drawn to "Spinning" and "Lending A Hand" and also like the "Hogweed" and "Soul Sacrifice" tracks a lot. Stolt, Portnoy, Trewavasa and Morse - what a juggernaut line up and quite a magnificent release.

As to the new release, I will eventually purchase the extended version CD's and am looking forward to listening to them in depth.

Sounds good! Got my order in at Ken's! Come quickly, Feb.5!!
    "Moustache stays right where it's at" - Clutch

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    I am of the same view as you, relative to The Whirlwind. I know it's generally not that popular here on PE, but to me it brings out all the things that I like about the musicians' work. The disc-long epic, which blows me away (excuse the pun), and then some nice original and cover tracks on the Bonus Disc. I am especially drawn to "Spinning" and "Lending A Hand" and also like the "Hogweed" and "Soul Sacrifice" tracks a lot. Stolt, Portnoy, Trewavasa and Morse - what a juggernaut line up and quite a magnificent release.

Another Whirlwind fan here. I enjoy their other albums, to varying degrees, but repeat spins of Whirlwind don't diminish my appreciation nor enjoyment of it.

Great song, it gives a good preview of the new TA album. I'm in.

I can say that of the very few good things caused by covid, this can be one of them. On how these musicians normally go about their professional lives, it takes a span of 4-5 years to write, record and promote a new TA album.
    Sadly, the touring part is as frozen as the covid vaccines will be while shipped to the world.

Not only the vocals are great but so the arrangements are as well. This 9 minute track is so good it felt like a 3 minute short track, the lyrics are also very "covid" influenced about the lockdowns and isolation but again, it is a motivator to expand their creative juices and share with the fans.

Also added to my LE wish list, can't wait.

Transatlantic makes life a little bit better...
    Prog's Not Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    I can say that of the very few good things caused by covid, this can be one of them. On how these musicians normally go about their professional lives, it takes a span of 4-5 years to write, record and promote a new TA album.
    The tracking sessions took place in mid-2019, unless I'm mistaken. If anything, Covid delayed the release, rather than made the project happen.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

WOW!!! and a good video to boot.... One could say almost epic... Expectations surpassed...

Count me in as another fan of The Whirlwind. This time they might even have surpassed that very album. Just wow

i'm hoping with the new release, that the first two will be re-issued. Kalidoscope was my introduction and i didn't like it, but they redeemed themselves with Whirlwind. eventually i'll get the first 2.

^^ Wasn't Whirlwind before Kaleidoscope?

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    i'm hoping with the new release, that the first two will be re-issued. Kalidoscope was my introduction and i didn't like it, but they redeemed themselves with Whirlwind. eventually i'll get the first 2.
    Arriving December 16
    Track package

Smpte
    Transatlantic
    Sold by: Amazon Global Store UK
    $17.55
    Condition: New

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    ^^ Wasn't Whirlwind before Kaleidoscope?
    Other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Other way around.
    Smpte 2000
    Bridge Across Forever 2001
    Whirlwind 2009
    Kaleidoscope 2014

Whirlwind and Kaleidoscope were OK, but what I really like now are the live performances. The Kaleidoscope show at the Keswick kicked ass
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Other way around.
    No, Whirlwind came out in 2009. Kaleidoscope was in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Smpte 2000
    Whirlwind 2009
    Kaleidoscope 2014
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    The Kaleidoscope show at the Keswick kicked ass
    Indeed.

The Smpte tour was very enjoyable (the only other show of theirs I've seen), but the Kaleidoscope show at the Keswick is still a great musical memory for me.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    Indeed.

The Smpte tour was very enjoyable (the only other show of theirs I've seen), but the Kaleidoscope show at the Keswick is still a great musical memory for me.
    as it is every time Neal, Mike and who ever they bring show up in my backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Smpte 2000
    Whirlwind 2009
    Kaleidoscope 2014
    I ustabee smart when I was young, oh well. In 2010 on the evening of my father's death TA played NYC, I went with my prog-loving son David, we talked about whether going was appropriate and decided my dad would have wanted us to, off we went. As the intro to Rose Colored Glasses began (about the death of Neal's father) Neal leaned into the mic and said "This is for Barry." My son and I looked at each other and our eyes welled up with tears, it's still on Youtube a decade later and my eyes still well up, a never to be forgotten moment. Thanks, Martin.
    Last edited by BarryLI; 11-27-2020 at 01:06 PM.

That's a great anecdote, Barry. What an emotional moment that would have been for you, and, ten years late, I'm sure still is. Thanks for sharing.

I ustabee smart when I was young, oh well. In 2010 on the evening of my father's death TA played NYC, I went with my prog-loving son David, we talked about whether going was appropriate and decided my dad would have wanted us to, off we went. As the intro to Rose Colored Glasses began (about the death of Neal's father) Neal leaned into the mic and said "This is for Barry." My son and I looked at each other and our eyes welled up with tears, it's still on Youtube a decade later and my eyes still well up, a never to be forgotten moment. Thanks, Martin.
    That’s all kinds of awesome.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quite a Thanksgiving story and my father travelled the Bridge Across Forever in Nov 2007.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I was at that show too, Barry. Great story.

I saw them when they toured for the first album, at Wetlands in NYC. That was a small club, and I was like 6 feet from the stage so that was really good. I'd seen all the band members live before, except for Portnoy, so that was a good show. I'm a casual Dream Theater fan (only saw them once), so not really interested in debating with anyone if Portnoy is shizznit or shizznot, but I really enjoy his enthusiasm, and it was fun to see his "show" up front. Actually, I'd met Portnoy twice before then hanging out after a Marillion show (AoS tour) and backstage when Echolyn played at Wetlands.

I've seen Flower Kings a number of times, and once was at The Bottom Line (forget which tour), the night before I was laid off from my job. I somehow knew my number was up, because they were axing about half the staff (about 1000 people), but somehow I was very relaxed because of that, and FK are so relaxing (this was seated, again very close to the stage), with their glittery outfits reflecting the lights, that I somehow had the mellowest feeling, and had all the patience in the world as they played, I think, all of Flower Power, or at least a good amount of it. They released an official bootleg of the show on CD, so that's a nice memento of that weirdly enjoyable show.

BTW, if you reread BravadoNJ's post, I THINK he was saying Kaleidoscope was the album that he HEARD first, not that it was released before Whirlwind.

I rejoined Neal's Inner Circle membership earlier this year and this months release was great for Transatlantic fans. A DVD of the one time show with the 6 man Transatlantic and also a CD from their first tour (might be of interest to JKL2000 above as it must be the show you mentioned!) I'll let Neal explain:

So, I decided I wanted to do a Transatlantic Inner Circle release this month but then realized weve done all of the demos... and weve done the live albums... so what could we possibly do?!

That was when I found the video from the Sweden Rock festival from 2014 which is well-filmed but the audio is a bit overloaded. Weve done the best we can to fix it up, and hopefully youll enjoy this one. Transatlantic have only very rarely played festival shows, and this was also the first time we had played in Sweden. That gave us the bonus of having Daniel Gildenlow join us on stage to sing his vocal part from "Into The Blue," and well... he stayed on stage for the rest of the show, joining Ted Leonard who was our fifth member for that tour! Oh, and then it started to rain! Always a risk with outdoor shows, but we carried on! Hopefully the audio shortcomings wont stop you from enjoying a unique show in our career.

The other thing I was considering sharing this month was an audience recording from our very first Transatlantic tour, which someone had shared with me. Its a bootleg, but because this was a small club, the performance is very clear. Then I thought, why I dont I just give you them both! Given that it was our first tour, the setlist has some Beatles covers, some Genesis covers (including the only attempt at "Back in NYC," given we were in NYC youll hear why we never tried it again!) plus the closing medley, where we play songs from our current/ past bands.

I hope you enjoy these and that they whet your appetite for what we have lined up with The Absolute Universe!
    IC is download only now but the files include artwork for CD/DVD tray, cover and disc. I've listened to the Wetlands CD, same setlist as Live in America disc with the addition mentioned of Back in NYC. It is a good quality boot, some audience chatter is audible at some quiet moments. I've been pretty happy with the IC releases since i rejoined. I do wish there was a premium option to receive a physical copy instead of having to create my own though.

CD Wetlands Preserve Cover Nov 2020 copy.jpg

IC Cover Nov 2020 copy.jpg