Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Transatlantic-- new album confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Still not sure how I feel about Kaleidoscope though...
    Yeah, I liked it alright when it came out, probably the novelty effect (if you can say that about a TA album) but haven't felt the need to play it much since, contrary to the other 3.

I'm glad this band is a financial boon to these guys, but I'd rather see Roine spending his time on pretty much any of his other projects.

Never cared for most of The Whirlwind. I like the next one a bit better. Maybe because it just slips by in an inoffensive way without being noticed, lol.
    <sig out of order>

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Unbelievable
    How so?
    Chad

The eons are closing
    *gets popcorn*
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    How so?
    Because your tastes don't align precisely with his, and you haven't listened to all the same albums he has. Don't you see how unbelievable that is? The nerve.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^ You already lost me. Surely the actual answer has something to do with The Prog Report and their intricate causality of qualitative judgement.

I mean, is there anything that doesn't?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I never made it through The Whirlwind as well, nor Kaleidoscope.

I wouldn't be surprised if my lightning-in-a-bottle theory holds true with Transatlantic. The early 2000's was when they peaked.

Sorry, I really cant bear to listen to Transatlantic or Neal Morse anymore, it all sounds like its been totally recycled from all their previous albums. Yep, great musicianship, no argument there but this is really truly Regressive Rock to my ears.

I gave up on Neil and Roine because everything they were doing sounded like they were just rewriting the same thing over and over. And then maybe I’ve just grown tired of prog rock over the last about 10 years. I wish them well with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Sorry, I really cant bear to listen to Transatlantic or Neal Morse anymore, it all sounds like its been totally recycled from all their previous albums. Yep, great musicianship, no argument there but this is really truly Regressive Rock to my ears.
    Sigh, me too I'm afraid. With Neal you can pretty much paint by number the lyrics and composition style now if it fits in a prog framework. Al these guys are very talented musicians so I understand why folks dig 'em. When it comes to Neal, I think it helps to be a Christian of some stripe, which i am not, given so much of his material seems to involve endlessly working and reworking the Pilgrim's Progress archetype.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Regressive Rock
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    they were just rewriting the same thing over and over.
    For some reason avant rock bands never get these charges, no matter what.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

^ They most certainly do when those charges are correct, and this has occurred all the more often also here at PE. But the term "avant rock" by definition denotes a set of virtues that ideally defies repetitive traits - which is not to say that there isn't such a thing as "bad" renditions of it. To claim the opposite would be silly, but to claim that it somehow escapes allegations of stagnation would equally pose a myth. "Avant rock" is little but a superficial and shallow characteristic in the first place, usually devoid of initial etymological implications.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

For myself, Transatlantic have gotten 'less interesting' with each release. SMPT:e was fantastic all the way through. BAF has some excellent tracks. Whirlwind has great moments, but ruined by the "super epic concept that shouldn't have been". Kaleidoscope is boring.

But the first two TA hold up well against the best of Neal, SB, and TFK imo.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I think Kaleidoscope sounds just like a hidden album recorded around the same time as Bridge Across Forever. Pretty interchangeable to my ears.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    For myself, Transatlantic have gotten 'less interesting' with each release. SMPT:e was fantastic all the way through. BAF has some excellent tracks. Whirlwind has great moments, but ruined by the "super epic concept that shouldn't have been". Kaleidoscope is boring.

That. Minus any Whirlwind moments because I only ever listened to half of it once.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

Exactly this. Can't even remember anything about Kaleidoscope...

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Can't even remember anything about Kaleidoscope...
    Sadly I can't either.

Like I said earlier in this thread, Whirlwind was just exhausting to me. Yes, I liked it solely because totally respect these guys for their abilities, but this one was just so far over the top & quite honestly I got bored with it. It was like that old Lamb Chop song that wouldn't end.

rehashing history, but so be it

https://allmediareviews.blogspot.com...d-turkeys.html

Transatlantic - The Whirlwind

The result of this speaks to that they should have made a 3rd lp right after Bridge Across Forever. This is the 77-minute chore to get through as it sounds. Fillllller

Really fucking sad because their legacy was so great before this. Would I rather them never put out anything again? of course not. But had they gone the maudlin of the Well/Soundscape route, they'd have had demos and things from right after BaF to use. Instead, this came across as an extension of The Flower Kings overall. Some moments within, but not cohesive enough, not even the best moments compared to their earlier best moments. No "Motherless children, wandering nowhere" or "Full Moon Rising todayy ehhhhhh" really. No "We All Need Some Light" or incredible Beatles-ish tributes like "Suite:Charlotte Pike."

C'mon guys!..If they make another, of course I'll listen. But if they never come close to their 1st 2 albums, I will chalk it down to the ole lightning-in-a-bottle idea. Their peak may have past and may never return sadly. O well

i like Whirlwind much better then K-scope. i don't have the first 2, can't seem to get a decent price because they are out of print.
    Whirlwind does seem like it goes on too long, i think it was originally planned as a 20-30 minute epic but you know how Neal Morse
    likes his recurring themes and stretching out musical ideas like that way they make Ramen noodles.

Neal Morse making a concept album...
    Last edited by BravadoNJ; 02-28-2020 at 07:56 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    i like Whirlwind much better then K-scope. i don't have the first 2, can't seem to get a decent price because they are out of print.
    Whirlwind does seem like it goes on too long, i think it was originally planned as a 20-30 minute epic but you know how Neal Morse
    likes his recurring themes and stretching out musical ideas like that way they make Ramen noodles.
    Syn-Phonic has both of the early releases for a good price.

I'm one of the few here that liked Whirlwind Deluxe edition a lot, both the epic 77 minute cut and the songs on disc 2. The instrumentation is dynamic and I have no problem with the religious overtones in the lyric. Like others, I am not hoping for a repeat of Whirlwind on their upcoming release; it's always a positive thing for a band to try new things and grow its sound. I would like to hear something that departs from the earlier albums in a major way.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Like others, I am not hoping for a repeat of Whirlwind on their upcoming release; it's always a positive thing for a band to try new things and grow its sound. I would like to hear something that departs from the earlier albums in a major way.
    Not likely though.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    I have all 4 studio albums. Like others, K-scope has not stood out in any meaningful or remarkable way. I've perhaps given it 3 or 4 spins.

However, count me in the few who really dig Whirlwind. I've always considered this a song cycle as opposed to an epic, and I listen to them more as individual pieces of music, even if they are all bridged. To my ears there are plenty of remarkable music moments, a crescendo here, some intricate (and enjoyable) noodling there, exciting build-ups, etc. There's a great deal of variety on tap during the 77 minute ride.

I guess I'll be the party pooper and say I like all 4 albums. I still rank the first two highest but the other two are still great to my ears. Only weak spot on K-scope for me is the obligatory Neal solo ballad, "Beyond the Sun".
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Banned
    My Rank is:

First 2 TA
    1st Neal Morse Solo
    3rd TA
    4th TA

But the 3rd and 4th TA are much less significant than the others.

I like T & A first.