Thread: New Headphones

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar

New Headphones

My music room is at the other end of the house from the bedroom, so even with the volume up (if the door's closed) you can't hear my stereo. Occasionally however (Thursday mornings when the neighbor's yard service comes, watching TV in the living room before the Mrs gets up) I like to throw on a set of headphones.

Headphone wires naturally gravitate to my office chair wheels. They also dictate where I can walk, having to retrace my steps if want to go to the other side of the room.

Okay, these are lame excuses. Truth is, I just wanted a new set of Bluetooth headphones, the over-the-ear kind, with noise canceling, to try them out. I haven't ever had noise-canceling headphones before, and it's been 53 years* since I had over-the-ear phones.

That meant I had to figure out how to transmit a Bluetooth signal out of the stereo. Turns out the answer is one of these:

Plus these (Cowin E7s):

These new cans can be used wired or wireless. The NC can be turned on or off. They're extremely comfortable. The sound is a bit boomier than I'm used to, but with some minor EQ they perfectly serviceable. Now I'm free to roam about the room without worrying about trailing a wire wherever I go.

I'll be playing with them over the next week. Oh boy new toys.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    * - When I was about 14 I had a pair of these (Calrad 15-115s, which I rediscovered when cleaning out my parents' house):
    They sound like crap, but they did block out all the external noise which was good for my bedroom in my parents' house.

Today my main go-to headphones do not block external noise:
    They're nice and neutral, no bass below about 50Hz but comfortable and neutral enough to use while mastering.

I still have a pair of these (on the shelf but not hooked up) but they're uncomfortable after a few minutes because they sit right on your ear and the padding is minimal:
    The sound, however, is flat Ī0.2dB from 20Hz to 20,000Hz and absolutely neutral. Still state-of-the-art 44 years later.

I also have a pair of these for TV viewing:
    They're a good general-purpose can, not too fussy, not too uncomfortable... but not good enough to master with either.

I like to wear phones when I'm outside doing chores. I don't like sticking anything in my ears, so actual headphones are the way to go. I use corded ones and run the cord inside my shirt.
    I use Skullcandy Skullcrushers because I can count on them not falling off my head if I bend over or look up, and they have adjustable bass and sound pretty nice. They went off the market several years ago, so I stocked up while I still could find some at a reasonable price. They're uncomfortable in the heat, so in the middle of the summer I use them sparingly or I have the Koss ones in #1, but they fall off easily. If I'm out in the back I have a nice set of speakers mounted above my deck, so I have that option.

I like Sony MDR7506 when I'm using headphones. The flat sound is my preference, rather than something like Beats that over emphasizes the bass.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Laura

Audio-Technica ATH-M50x closed-back is what I currently use. They sound great.

I use Tascam TH200X studio monitor headphones for listening on the bus and train. They sound amazing for only costing around $100, $50 on sale at Guitar Center. The ear cups were extremely uncomfortable, so I swapped them for a pair I removed from Sennheiser phones. Problem solved.

I could never get ear buds to stay in my ears. Same thing with those foam earplugs. When I was removing ceramic tile from my entryway, I resorted to using an old pair of headphones to protect my ears while grinding off the tile mortar.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Back around 1974/76, I won (During a Cal Stereo Grand Opening) a set of Electrostatic Headphones, can't recall the brand, they came with an amp or something that connected to my stereo, as I recall and they sounded unbelievably clear! Can't recall how much they were worth, it wasn't thousands, probably $2 or $3 hundred, but I sold them, wish I had kept them now though...

Not a big headphone guy, (1) I have a set of Apple AirPods I use at work, since we can do that sort of thing. And (2) I have a set of Bose QC35 wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones, that I mainly use for air travel, they were awesome going back and forth to Rome (from LA) last summer...! Had them on for at least 12-13 hours straight, both ways.. In fact, even when I slept, I had them on, with no source material, but they still eliminated the rumble and roar from the plane...!

Pretty cool headphones, Robert. I've thought about getting some nice Bluetooth headphones of the over-the-ear variety, so I will investigate. Thanks for the info.

I had a pair back in the 70ís that sounded nice and were comfortable. I donít remember at the moment what brand they were though. Point is that they eventually bit the dust and I bought several pairs since and my main BIG problem with them was how hot and uncomfortable they were. I havenít used headphones for probably around 30 years now. So my main concern is getting something I can stand to have on my ears for any amount of time. I know sound is a good issue but if I canít stand wearing them then the sound doesnít matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over-the-ear and on-the-ear headphones feel very different. I think the newer over-the-ears are a lot more comfortable than they used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Back around 1974/76, I won (During a Cal Stereo Grand Opening) a set of Electrostatic Headphones, can't recall the brand, they came with an amp or something that connected to my stereo, as I recall and they sounded unbelievably clear! Can't recall how much they were worth, it wasn't thousands, probably $2 or $3 hundred, but I sold them!
    Most of the electrostats come with an amp because they need to boost the grid voltage to something like 60 volts. I once made the mistake of putting on my Stax while my hair was still wet from a shower. Bad idea!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I have Skullcandy Hesh 2 wireless that are on-ear but are comfortable. I have Edifier W830BT wireless, over-the-ear, comfortable, incredible battery life. Both of these are a tad bass heavy for some (not me).

I also have a wired set; Samson SR850s; semi-open back design that I use with a portable amp; a FiiO A3. The Samsons are treble cannons and I've had to mod them to tame them.

I have Taotronics Phobos earbuds that hook around the ear. They're pretty good. I have a pair of Koss PortaPro on-ear phones (wired) that have been in production since 1984 and are still giant killers.

The convenience of Bluetooth has spoiled me. I've used high-end wired phones for critical listening for years, but being able to move around the house, or continue the same stream when I go outside or in the car, is just too seductive, so I put up with the compromise in sound quality BT imposes, even on the lossless files I keep on my phone.

The last time I mentioned the brand name of my BT over-ear phones it started a war, so I won't. They are extremely comfortable.

Is there no contradiction between “bass-heavy BT compromises” and lossless files?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Is there no contradiction between “bass-heavy BT compromises” and lossless files?
    I don't understand the question.