Thread: Rest in peace, Andy Gill (Gang Of Four)

Rest in peace, Andy Gill (Gang Of Four)

Very, very sorry to learn that ANDY GILL, co-founder / leader of the wonderfully brilliant band GANG OF FOUR band has died.

For me, Gang Of Four were one of the most brilliant bands to emerge from the 70s punk rock explosion and his guitar playing was unique and revolutionary.

Their work from 1978-1982 remains untouchable and exemplary. and ANGRY!

Rest In Peace.

Last edited by Steve F.; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:51 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Andy didn't play much, but what he played was perfect.

Gang of Four were one of the big names in minimalist art rock; few bands could make more out of one chord. What they did was just as much an accomplishment as the far fancier music we usually listen to. It takes real skill to make music with that little in it and not have it come across as boring or stupid, and GoF never did.

Great, and I believe quite influential player. I saw Gang of Four live some 6-7 years ago. I believe he was the only founding member present. RIP.

Quite a shock. He was just on tour in the fall.

I’ll definitely spin some Gang of Four this week.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Gang Of Four were indeed a great band. Rest in peace, Andy.
    if you want money for people with minds that hate, all I can tell you is brother you have to wait

Ach. This is sad, & shocking, news.

He was a fine guitarist. That angry, angular, harsh, white boy funked up punk was the music with which I came of age.

RIP. Great band. They made noise into political art.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

I saw this news last night and was really saddened. I loved his playing, angular shards and funky textures, he was influential and pivotal in those post punk times. Entertainment remains one of the great albums of that era, but I have continued to follow Gang Of Four right up to recent times. RIP.

I need to check out Go4. Honestly the clip Steve posted is the first thing I have ever knowingly heard by them and it has piqued my interest. The guitarist is very inventive on this track. RIP.

PS These guys may have been a major influence on the 80s King Crimson!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I saw this news last night and was really saddened. I loved his playing, angular shards and funky textures, he was influential and pivotal in those post punk times. Entertainment remains one of the great albums of that era, but I have continued to follow Gang Of Four right up to recent times. RIP.
    The last album slipped past me, but I’m going to blame Pledge for that ...

Boy, it sure would be nice to have a new release of Hard. That one has been OOP for a while now.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...e_iOSApp_Other

A lovely informative tribute, that might be of interest to anybody who wants to explore his music further.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    A lovely informative tribute, that might be of interest to anybody who wants to explore his music further.

The Guardian said:
    he was a deeply improbable candidate for guitar hero status, but by then he’d presumably had a lot of time to get used to being acclaimed as exactly that
    An interesting point from the article.

I would argue that there are two types of guitar heroes:
    • Ones who can do what nobody else can do, like Holdsworth and Eddie Van Halen.
    • Ones who can do what anybody could have done - If they'd happened to think of it - like Johnny Ramone, Peter Buck, Dave "The Edge" Evans, and Andy Gill.

Fripp belongs in both categories, incidentally - some of his stuff is impossibly difficult to play, but some of it is quite easy and can be picked up by relative beginners.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I need to check out Go4. Honestly the clip Steve posted is the first thing I have ever knowingly heard by them and it has piqued my interest. The guitarist is very inventive on this track. RIP.
    1. Andy is the guitarist

2. This is not 'better' than the clip I aired, but it's weirder and more minimalistic and confrontational, which makes it very interesting, imo.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

I love this clip, Steve - thanks for posting it here. There's a kind of "deconstruction" thing going on - the strumming just above the strings, the fractured notes near the very end - but played over a rock solid funk rhythm - which for me exemplifies the kinds of things they were trying to do with the music. Along with the Pop Group & Cabaret Voltaire, they seemed to be experimenting almost literally with what could be built from the pieces that were left over after punk - like building music for which there were no rules (of composition).

In this way, that generation bears a strong resemblance to the experimental German bands of the first part of the 70s, but with the "theory" coming more from political philosophy than music theory (eg Stockhausen, Boulez, etc). Although it's pushing at what is permissable to be said here, I think that it's impossible to overlook the fundamental importance of the politics to Gang of Four, as well as of these other bands.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    I love this clip, Steve - thanks for posting it here. There's a kind of "deconstruction" thing going on - the strumming just above the strings, the fractured notes near the very end - but played over a rock solid funk rhythm - which for me exemplifies the kinds of things they were trying to do with the music. .
    You're welcome

AND I love whatever the heck it is that Jon King is doing!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

If you can sit/stand still through one of their songs, I would checking for a pulse cause you might be ded.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

One of my favorite bands. I love his playing. Entertainment! might be the best debut LP ever - well, right up there with King Crimson, The Clash, Kansas and Cheap Trick.
    Prog's Not Dead

Playing the Entertainment album right now!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

They were a great, great band, both in music & lyrics. Entairtenment! is one of the best new wave/post punk albums ever released.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

A super important band for me. Gill's guitar playing was otherworldly.