Thread: 10 CD Trevor Rabin Box Set March 2020

10 CD Trevor Rabin Box Set March 2020

Trevor's solo albums, minus his latest one, along with that 90124 album of Yes demos and some live stuff:

Changes is released on March 10 and will feature a selection of Rabin solo albums, early demos of material he ended up using during his time in Yes, previously unreleased live material and unreleased soundtrack material

The solo albums included are Beginnings (1977, although reissued as Trevor Rabin in 1978), Face To Face (1979), Wolf (1981) and Can't Look Away (1989). There is also an extra disc of bonus material from Can't Look Away featuring edits, demos and interviews.

Also included is 90124, which is a compilation of material demoed at a time before he joined Cinema, who later became Yes, including Owner Of A Lonely Heart, Hold On, Changes, Cinema and Love Will Find A Way, as well as Walls featuring former Supertramp singer Roger Hodgson on vocals (at a time when he was invited to join Yes).

There is a previously unreleased live concert recorded in Boston on the Can't Look Away tour and two volumes of Lost Soundtracks, one featuring music from the 1998 film Jack Frost and the other with various music from Rabin's lengthy and successful career composing film scores.

The set also features a signed and numbered certificate, a 24 page A4 photo book, The Making Of Wolf, a 24 page A4 photo book, The Can't Look Away Photo Session, an A3 Poster, 4 x 10” x 8” Reproduction Promotional Photos and reproduction press cuttings.

Available to pre-order here: https://www.musicglue.com/trevor-rabin/shop

Yikes! $142?!?! It is signed and numbered but still. I mean $50 for a signed 12 Monkeys soundtrack (from the site linked above) is kind of ridiculous too. I'm interested but I'll probably hold out for an unsigned version (which would be about $100 since the signed versions seem to carry about a $40 premium).

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Minus Jacaranda?
    Yup.

I would be more interested in this if it concentrated on his early solo albums and Rabbitt albums. I really enjoyed the Rabbitt stuff, just never got around to picking them on CD.

Looks like most of the single discs are on pre order also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Yup.

I would be more interested in this if it concentrated on his early solo albums and Rabbitt albums. I really enjoyed the Rabbitt stuff, just never got around to picking them on CD.
    To this day, I dont' think I've ever heard any of the Rabbitt records. The only one of his solo albums I have is the first one, which I found at Wax Stax sometime back in the late 80's. Long before I knew any of the details about how did what in Yes, listening to that album made me realize he was obviously the main architect of the 80's Yes sound.

I always liked Getting To Know You Better, but it's always driven me crazy that it fades out so quickly, just as the guitar solo starts. I also remember liking Finding My Home a lot too.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelDelirium View Post
    Yikes! $142?!?! It is signed and numbered but still. I mean $50 for a signed 12 Monkeys soundtrack (from the site linked above) is kind of ridiculous too. I'm interested but I'll probably hold out for an unsigned version (which would be about $100 since the signed versions seem to carry about a $40 premium).
    That averages to $14.20 a disc, which is a little heavy but not very. Throw in the goodies and I think the price is reasonable.

I mean, I'm not interested enough to buy it, but it seems reasonably priced to me.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    To this day, I dont' think I've ever heard any of the Rabbitt records.
    My brother turned me on to Rabin before he was in Yes. Rabin played on and produced the Manfred Mann 1980 album 'Chance'. My brother turned me on to that record and I remember him telling me that I should check out the other work from Rabin, which led me to picking up one of the Rabbitt albums that I always really enjoyed, just never got around to tracking down the CD.

My brother turned me on to Rabin before he was in Yes. Rabin played on and produced the Manfred Mann 1980 album 'Chance'. My brother turned me on to that record and I remember him telling me that I should check out the other work from Rabin, which led me to picking up one of the Rabbitt albums that I always really enjoyed, just never got around to tracking down the CD.
    If I had been reading Guitar Player about three years before I started, I would have known about Rabin, because they did a big feature piece on him in 1980. I think it's the issue with Stanley Clarke on the cover. Course, at the age of 7, even if I could find his solo records, I wouldn't have had the money to buy them. And I'm not sure my concept of "That might be a good record" wasn't developed enough for me to read an article like that and go "I want to hear this guy's music". Back then, if it didn't have spaceships or something similarly fantastical on the cover, it just didn't register for me.

I remember when 90125 came out I found his first solo album in the cut-out bins (the one with the same cover photo as the poster included with this box set.) Out of curiosity I bought it, took it home, played it, and then promptly found someone to give it away to! Underwhelmed doesn't begin to describe my reaction.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Does it include the Live in L.A album? Great album.

I really like Trevor Rabin, but all those soundtrack albums, really? who wants to listen to background soundtrack albums.
    I can see releasing his solo stuff, but this just seems like milking it, big time!
    I have the Can't Look Away cd and enjoy it, but it's a long time between listens.
    I've heard the demos before he joined Yes, interesting, but to me a one time listen.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.com

I guess this would appeal to Rabin fans who don't have his first three albums, which are long out of print, but how many of those folks are out there?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I really like Trevor Rabin, but all those soundtrack albums, really? who wants to listen to background soundtrack albums.
    I love a good soundtrack/score. I'm not actually familiar with Rabin's, but I have amassed a great wealth of film, TV and even modern video game music. Whenever I'm watching something where the music really appeals to me, I always make a point of looking up the soundtrack and seeing what else that composer has done. It's honestly some of my favourite music. For example, I'm currently in love with the score from the (excellent) series Succession on HBO, by Nicholas Britell:

... so yeah, I don't know if Rabin's are of a similar nature (sweeping, dramatic orchestral stuff), but I can totally understand including them in this set, because us soundtrack lovers are out there!
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I love a good soundtrack/score.
    Me too. But I think Rabin is something like D-class composer in film business. He have scored some big films but none of those have anything like memorable or original music.

Rabin overall: I like Jacaranda but otherwise "meh".
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

To this day, I dont' think I've ever heard any of the Rabbitt records.
    I like A Croak and a Grunt in the Night: it's playful, Beatles influenced in places, flashes of Rabin's future work in Yes.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar

I really like this track from Wolf that he co-wrote with Ray Davies. It wouldn’t sound out of place on an early Cheap Trick record.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post

I really like this track from Wolf that he co-wrote with Ray Davies. It wouldn’t sound out of place on an early Cheap Trick record.
    Wolf is his best album.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I like A Croak and a Grunt in the Night: it's playful, Beatles influenced in places, flashes of Rabin's future work in Yes.

Henry
    Yeah, I keep thinking I should give them a listen, but never seem to get around to checking out what's available. I remember someone telling me that Rabbitt were so big that they appeared regularly on South African TV, but since South Africa is one of those countries where they erased everything, almost nothing has survived.

Also included is 90124, which is a compilation of material demoed at a time before he joined Cinema, who later became Yes, including Owner Of A Lonely Heart, Hold On, Changes, Cinema and Love Will Find A Way, as well as Walls featuring former Supertramp singer Roger Hodgson on vocals (at a time when he was invited to join Yes).
    Further proof that the guy who saved YES and always put the survival of YES above himself was Chris Squire.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post

"Long Island" actually reminds me of Angel...

since South Africa is one of those countries where they erased everything, almost nothing has survived.
    Trevor might be wishing some of this stuff didn't survive.