Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Love

First Love

My response within the "Best 3 Album Stretch" thread got me thinking about how many of my most highly rated albums are so, simply because they happened to be my first exposure to a particular band.

In many respects the albums fall well short of what most would regard as being anywhere near the bands greatest work but the personal fond memories of that first listen seem to protect the legacy.

ATTWT is a classic case in point - ignored by the many and almost disowned by the band, but as my first Genesis listen it is an album I revisit regularly (forsaking others).

Anyone else?

I have a soft spot for albums that aren’t held in high regard on here simply because of the time in my life when I first heard them. It may not have been the first thing I heard from that band. As far as what you speak of I find that many classical recordings of pieces that I hear first become the standard version that I judge most other performances by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Nostalgia always elevates some releases. With the benefit of hindsight and additional exposure, some of my childhood favorites have not held up so well.

But at the same time, most of my CURRENT favorites are things I've discovered as an adult.

The eons are closing
    Re: classical pieces
    I find that to be absolutely correct - as a young boy, the Deutche Gramophon label made up my entire classical collection. All versions are cross compared to those.
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

The nostalgia pick that comes to mind is Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds, much to Progbear's chagrin.

I think you have a good point. Often, the album that got me into a band / artist remains my favorite from them. It does not always happen, but a lot of times it does. Yes, is a great example. I discovered them with "Going For The One" and it remains my favorite studio album from them.

My very first album is still my favorite: Sgt. Pepper.
    Orange is the new stupid.

Among my first albums were Journey to the Centre of the Earth and Remember the Future. They were my sister's albums and she would play them for me and I loved them. She needed cash and I bought them off her for a buck or two each. RtF is still one of my all-time favorites. I love the musical passages of Journey but can live without the narration.
    Last edited by flowerking; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:05 AM.

I think those early albums have a lot of room (and time) to make themselves at home. It's the same with me for ATTWT. World Record, although for me maybe 3rd or 4th VdGG favourite, would be the one I could least bear to be parted with (similar for Tormato and No Smoke Without Fire).

Has to be Marillion - Script for a jesters tear.

It came out when I was 16 and it was the first prog band I was ever into. If It would be released right now I probably would not be paying any attention to it but I still have strong nostalgic feelings towards that album and that period in my life.

Same applies to Iq - tales, pallas- the Sentinel and Twelfth Night Fact and Fiction. It started my discovery og progressive rock.
    Last edited by thedunno; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:55 AM.

Definitely Rush's "Hold Your Fire" for me. The first Rush album I bought was "A Show of Hands" (live album from the HYF tour) but if I had to pick just one Rush album as my favorite I'd have to go with Hold Your Fire. Presto and Roll The Bones are pretty close behind it though (as are Power Windows and Grace Under Pressure).

Quote Originally Posted by tonewalk View Post
    I think those early albums have a lot of room (and time) to make themselves at home. It's the same with me for ATTWT. World Record, although for me maybe 3rd or 4th VdGG favourite, would be the one I could least bear to be parted with (similar for Tormato and No Smoke Without Fire).
    This is around the time I was first buying these records. To this day, ATTWT is the only Genesis record I can bear to listen to, whilst I prefer Tormato to GfTO...& I remain very fond of Works.

With VdGG, I got Vital & Godbluff at more or less the same time. Talk about diving in at the deep end!

Back then, part of the whole thing was taking records into school, to share with mates. Record bags from independent record shops were things of beauty in themselves. That Works lp cover, in a mostly transparent record bag, was such a cool object!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The nostalgia pick that comes to mind is Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds, much to Progbear's chagrin.
    I've been putting my cds back on the shelves in order again and handled that one last night. I remember buying this one I guess somewhere around 1980.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by wurz View Post
    My response within the "Best 3 Album Stretch" thread got me thinking about how many of my most highly rated albums are so, simply because they happened to be my first exposure to a particular band.

In many respects the albums fall well short of what most would regard as being anywhere near the bands greatest work but the personal fond memories of that first listen seem to protect the legacy.

ATTWT is a classic case in point - ignored by the many and almost disowned by the band, but as my first Genesis listen it is an album I revisit regularly (forsaking others).

Anyone else?
    ATTWT was also my album intro for Genesis. I love that album and I still play it often too. I get the impression that many dislike because it happened to have a hit on it. It is a strong album and the only fault I see with it is the production is a bit muddy. For me , I then went backwards with Genesis and was highly rewarded. My fav 3 album stretch for Genesis is ATOTT, W&W and ATTWT.

DSOTM was my PF intro and still my fav of all time. My intro to Tangerine Dream is Thief but Phaedra is still their best imho. Usually if I didn't like the first one I tried, it would be a long time if ever that I tried another from that group.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I used to listen to that in college, but I don’t think I could handle listening to that now, it’s like The Alan Parsons Project on Valium (IMO).

Almost everything I listen to these days has nostalgia for me. Dont do much with new releases any more. Just havent found much brand new to get me to cough up the denario for a new band/Artist. That may change, because I notice it all goes in cycles.
    I got nothin'

...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

live samples:
    https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/yod...om-a-live-show
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/PapaYode...=page_internal

For just this reason I sometimes return to Caress of Steel, Sheer Heart Attack, Yessongs, Spectral Mornings, Irish Tour '74. Furthermore, the date for my purchase of A Farewell to Kings divides my music collection in "old" and "new" albums, even to this day LOL
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Nostalgia always elevates some releases. With the benefit of hindsight and additional exposure, some of my childhood favorites have not held up so well.

But at the same time, most of my CURRENT favorites are things I've discovered as an adult.
    I wouldn't say childhood, but tennhood in my case (though I did start buying rock albums at age 11 with Supertramp's Crime, which remains a top album in my book and it solidly directed my search for music for a few years. From childfood, I don't retain much , as a lot of it was induced from my parents (Satchmo, Ella, Duke, Brel, Piaf, Nougaro and the Yé-Yés), even if in their record collection, there was three things I returned to alone (when they were absent): Stand Up, This Was and the Hair Broadway OST .

Howeber much of the albums of hard rock (from 75 onwards) and blues rock (from 76 onwards) artistes I bought (with less outside guidance), they didn't age as well, though I got into those genres after prog rock.
    I got "conned" into buying albums because of one track (heard at a friend's or over the airwaves) and found little else to like (Awaken and GFTO, Driver's Seat and S&tT's debut).
    I started DS with their debut (still love it), but LOG is their best, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I think you have a good point. Often, the album that got me into a band / artist remains my favorite from them. It does not always happen, but a lot of times it does. Yes, is a great example. I discovered them with "Going For The One" and it remains my favorite studio album from them.
    Not necessarily my case (see above), but I must say that the record shop owner was really cool as to point me to a band's best album (usually that meant "proggiest" album), given whatever feedback I returned to him. He more than replaced an older brother (I was the oldest kid at home) and I think he was really listening to his young clients (he probably sold Bowie or Stones album to other kids, and it didn't make a difference to him what albums he was selling as long as it was sold).
    How in the world could've I (a canadian 12 yo kid) ended up buying Grey & Pink (from 71) as my 7 or 8th album, if it wasn't him guiding me to it (instead of Cunning Stunt, for ex)?

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Almost everything I listen to these days has nostalgia for me. Dont do much with new releases any more. Just havent found much brand new to get me to cough up the denario for a new band/Artist. That may change, because I notice it all goes in cycles.
    kind of the opposite for me. I know most of my faves from the 70's by heart, so I feel little need to revisit them.
    Most of my time is spent searching new music, but indeed, I'll probably never get as much mileage out of them, even if I live to 100 (hope not)

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    For just this reason I sometimes return to Caress of Steel, Sheer Heart Attack, Yessongs, Spectral Mornings, Irish Tour '74. Furthermore, the date for my purchase of A Farewell to Kings divides my music collection in "old" and "new" albums, even to this day LOL
    That's where the first-bought/favest album theory doesn't necessarily stand up. My first Rush album (they were a local band) was FBN, and that was topped by 2112, AFTK and Hemisphere.
    Last edited by Trane; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:26 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    and the Yé-Yés),
    It's never too early to start.

It's never too early to start.
    Passssssss, please...
    The French Yé-Yé era is one of the worse (tasteless) music movement, though the German and Dutch equivalent are just as bad, if not much worse....

Sure, some of those "French hits" are fun (some even charted in the UK)... and even funny, but it's mostly cringe-inducing.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Expose yourself to this and see if it motivates you. I find it incredibly stimulating!
    https://jonkeliehor.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Passssssss, please...
    The French Yé-Yé era is one of the worse (tasteless) music movement, though the German and Dutch equivalent are just as bad, if not much worse....

Sure, some of those "French hits" are fun (some even charted in the UK)... and even funny, but it's mostly cringe-inducing.
    Oh.

I was thinking Yes. As you should be doing too.

Oh.

I was thinking Yes. As you should be doing too.
    read my Yes GFTO comment in the first part of my first post in the present

But GFTO wasn'tmy first contact with Yes. I believe Yessiongs was... or TYA

OK. I surrender.

ATTWT was my first Genesis album too and I have a very soft spot for it. Not my most fave but possibly number 3 after Wind and Trick. That 3 album stretch thread and Neil Peart's recent passing made me realise that my very favourite music is that which I discovered from the late seventies/early 80's period. It is burned into my soul and triggers such memories and emotions that all the hundreds of other releases that I've bought since cannot compete with.