Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Supertramp - Supertramp

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    I have also never heard of the song Pony Expresss, which is listed in the bootleg whose discogs link you shared with us.
    I have a bootleg recording of that track in MP3, which I downloaded a very long time ago. The sound is completely awful, and I haven't heard it in ages, but from what I remember it's not really a great track... It's a Rick Davies rock'n'roll kind of song, but as I said not a really great one...
    Perspective Vortex - my new solo project available now at http://perspectivevortex.bandcamp.com
    Mahtrak Progressive Jazz Rock - www.mahtrak.com

Quote Originally Posted by pmrviana View Post
    Yes, that was a BBC session with the Indelibly Stamped band, but with Dougie Thomson on bass. They were already playing Rudy and Dreamer back then. This showed up on YouTube a few years ago, but I only got to listen once as it was taken down rather quickly...

EDIT: Just found this on Google, it seems like there's a bootleg CD with this material...

https://www.discogs.com/pt_BR/Supert...elease/9645708

EDIT 2: At least part of that 1974 session is still available on YouTube:

But as usual with Supertramp, those are pretty much the same as the studio versions...
    Great and thanks for share!!.

Regards!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Great band. These threads always depress me, though. I had one chance to see them and the fuckers broke up the day of the show.
    We've been here before. They did not break up (Roger leaving) till the tour was completed but it seems they did have to cancel the show you would have seen for some reason. Too bad, the show in Philly was great.

I like the first album quite a bit. The 2nd one is just so-so.

Now here's a curio. Roger with one Reg Dwight (Elton) and a single that came out pre-Tramp.

Quote Originally Posted by ledsox View Post
    We've been here before. They did not break up (Roger leaving) till the tour was completed but it seems they did have to cancel the show you would have seen for some reason. Too bad, the show in Philly was great.
    Yeah, that always puzzled me. At the time it was announced due to the band splitting. But, yes, I did learn here that they completed the tour. Still, the fuckers...
    Orange is the new stupid.

I am not big Supertramp fan but I think that Breakfast In America is brilliant pop album. Debut I find quite mediocre.
    Last edited by Kcrimso; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:05 PM.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Somehow this just showed up on my Youtube Recommended Videos list!!!

Hurry up before they take it down!
    Perspective Vortex - my new solo project available now at http://perspectivevortex.bandcamp.com

And... there's Dreamer as well...

Looks like someone uploaded the whole thing... Just found School as well as next suggestion in the Youtube List. This Youtube algorithm is really on a roll today...

^^^^ Thanks a lot for the links. They are really cool!

What saddens me is that due to the fall out between Rick Davies and Roger Hodgson the back catalogue of Supertramp was not fully explored. An archival release would be of great interest to the fans.

What's really interesting to me is how they developed the classic Supertramp sound so quickly right after the Indelibly Stamped album. In 1972 they were already playing those classic songs from Crime of the Century, but still retaining some of the naivety and jamming of early Supertramp. Rudy with Dave Winthrop on flute was a real treat to hear, so very different! Also Rick Davies going nuts on the Hammond drawbars in the middle section of Dreamer reminds me of some of the more experimental parts of Try Again, for example...

What saddens me is that due to the fall out between Rick Davies and Roger Hodgson the back catalogue of Supertramp was not fully explored. An archival release would be of great interest to the fans.
    +1

And yes, thanks for share!!.
    Great!.
    Last edited by TCC; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:46 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

I always thought that Supertramp always sounded like Supertramp. Ive never thought of the first album as any different from any other album. No one else sounds like them, and it seems like they have such a wide array of styles, but I always felt that they were completely unique. The voices and instrumentation make them unlike anything else Ive ever heard. BIA and EITQM are both perfect 10 albums - in my mind. Every album was great, but for different reasons.
    I got nothin'

...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

live samples:
    https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/yod...om-a-live-show
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/PapaYode...=page_internal

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    BIA and EITQM are both perfect 10 albums - in my mind.
    Those and Crime are probably my Top 3 faves from them. Great albums.

What saddens me is that due to the fall out between Rick David and Roger Hodgson the back catalogue of Supertramp was not fully explored. An archival release would be of great interest to the fans.
    Well another feud beweebn a Roger and a David did finally happen to that exploitation, so all hope is not lost

Quote Originally Posted by pmrviana View Post
    What's really interesting to me is how they developed the classic Supertramp sound so quickly right after the Indelibly Stamped album. In 1972 they were already playing those classic songs from Crime of the Century, but still retaining some of the naivety and jamming of early Supertramp. Rudy with Dave Winthrop on flute was a real treat to hear, so very different! Also Rick Davies going nuts on the Hammond drawbars in the middle section of Dreamer reminds me of some of the more experimental parts of Try Again, for example...
    yeah, this comes a bit as a surprise to me as well, especially that there is more than three years between the two releases (Stamped & Crime). I guess the Winthrop-Currie-Farrell line-up lasted a while longer than I'd have expected.

from RYM:
    Davies and Hodgson immediately set about recruiting new members. By April 1971, Supertramp's second line-up was in place, consisting of Davies, Hodgson (who switched to guitar), drummer Kevin Currie, bassist Frank Farrell, and saxophonist/flautist Dave Winthrop. In June, the group released Indelibly Stamped. The album achieved notoriety for its cover artwork, which featured the tattooed breasts of Bristol woman Marian Hollier. The negative publicity didn't help sales, and the album sold even more poorly than its predecessor. This finally took its toll on Miesegaes, who ceased supporting the band in October 1972. However, he agreed to forgive all debts and allowed the members to keep their instruments. Nevertheless, Currie, Farrell, and Winthrop all departed during the ensuing months, and Supertramp was once again reduced to a duo by mid-1973.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Now this... I had no idea this even existed!