Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No one recognizes old music anymore

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    See post #4
    I search for "yesterday" in the thread, found nothing, but forgot to click on the link in #4. Sounds like a Happy The Man-title (I forgot to push it) doesn't it.

No worries. "Great minds think alike," & ol' dat.

When I was in kid, in the 60's and 70's, there was local LA station named KRTH (K-Earth) that played all 50's and early 60's stuff, stuff my parents and aunts & uncles liked, it was the "Oldies" station and I largely avoided listening to it.

A few years back, I was doing some radio channel surfing and came across it (101.1 FM) and they were playing Roundabout, later heard Money...lol

And I'm sure when my (19 yo) daughter, checks out KRTH, she thinks: "Eww Odies"...!

We used to laugh at “oldies.” Now we am one.

I'm not sure, but I think there are several young Dutch artists who know and are influenced by older stuff, like The Beatles and others. For instance:
    Jacco Gardner
    Douwe Bob (well he is the son of Simon Posthuma, who was a member of the collective The Fool, so he should know the stuff of the past)

My dad sometimes complains old people stuff is always music that is to new. For him, old music he loves is made before 1935. A friend of his, who has my age, has the same musical interest my dad has and collects 78s.

A relative of my wife used to collect player piano rolls of jazz music.
    If it wasn't that it wasn't music to him.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Paging Joe Bussard!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Funny thing... The next night I stopped at a dive bar I just happened to be driving by... to ask if they had live music. Just a place out in the middle of nowhere. And they said "yes" so I gave the guy my card. He said "Hey, want to play now?" There were probably 20 people in the place, and I had my guitar and just my little Bose S1 out in the car (on my way to another open mic). But I said "sure" warning him I played mostly 70's music... I set up - total minimal equipment, Started with some Hollies (Long cool woman) - and they went nuts. Everyone in there was way younger than me... some were in their 20-40's. Loved the whole bit, knew virtually every song I played - Including "Your move" - they were singing along! - I did Zeppelin, Beatles, My own music, they loved everything. After a few songs the Bartender put out a tip bucket, and I made about 55 buck in tips. Not bad. Good news is. I have full confidence that in the City, "old" music may be dead and gone to the hipster, man-bun crowd ( no offense intended to those of you who still have enough hair to have a man-bun). But in the dives outside city limits its still going strong.

I may avoid the city open mic's in the future... At least here in Tejas. I will definitely be back to Al's Bar and Grill... Great place, fun people. The Burrito I had was outstanding too! Got to play 2 1/2 hours instead of 20 minutes, like I would at an open mic.

Great story! Keep it up!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo
    Paging Joe Bussard!
    Shouldn't this be in the audiophile thread?

I am starting to think that this "dive bar" thing is a growing trend and perhaps the next step in the evolution of music. Couple places I've played have killer musicians coming out and doing originals, no peddling CD's no downloads, just an acoustic guitar and a mic. This place I've been going off and on two nights a week seems to really cool... A biker bar that just does local music...

https://www.facebook.com/LastCallonAltaMere/

Cami Maki is just one totally cool human who plays and sings some of the most delicious songs I've heard. - kind of proggy, bluesy country, kind of Alanis Morrisette on hyper-crazy. But a great singer songwriter. She sets down a groove on the guitar that is just infectious. Just her and a guitar.

Last week I played with the guy from Shotgun Josephine - We did Closer to the heart, Your move and a bunch of other stuff he just picked up like it was candy on the sidewalk. he was laughing and playing along, just killing the leads and rhythm stuff - the crowd was just diggin it. Kind of a magic half hour and he said after he hadnt had that much fun in a long time. Old stuff and originals is all I do, and they seem to like that at the Last call.

Oh the other Dive bar above was : https://www.facebook.com/als1187/

Not that I expect anyone might care, but I now drive around looking for places like these. Seems like the best way to be able to play.

When the weather improves I'll start trying street shows as well. But Dive bars in small outlying areas seem to be a place to escape the plasticity of the bigger cities. It takes nerve to just walk into a place and ask if I can play, and I havent had the nerve yet to just go out on a corner and start playing... Working my way up to that. but it seems people like local live music in these little places.

Kids today can't even play the basic blues. The blues has always been a common language, with which any 2 or more musicians who've never met can sit down and jam. Young drummers are oblivious to what a shuffle beat even is.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    A few years back, I was doing some radio channel surfing and came across it (101.1 FM) and they were playing Roundabout, later heard Money...lol
    Consider yourself lucky to live in an area that still plays “Roundabout” and “Money.” They are too obscure for the limited playlists of the “classic rock”/nostalgia stations round these parts, which just recycle the same, obvious songs over and over. I guarantee you one of them is probably playing “You Give Love a Bad Name” right now.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I am starting to think that this "dive bar" thing is a growing trend and perhaps the next step in the evolution of music.
    In TEJAS!!! Who knew???

Well, it does seem like a LOT of the singer/songwriter's I've met are gravitating towards just looking for any place to set out a tip jar and play, and a lot less emphasis on recording demos and stuff like that. It may take them out of the "making it as a world famous artist" game, but they do seem to be gathering people who are interested in something other than what is being jammed down their throats (which doesnt seem to do anything but suffocate music) by corporate radio.

I expect that this is happening in other places besides here. I could see this becoming a thing just about anywhere. I am driving around on weeknights now, and I am surprised at the hole in the wall places that advertise live music. Some full bands, but many more, just a guy or girl and a guitar. Some of it is really bad, some of it is amazing. I look forward to playing just about anywhere because people are almost always really appreciative, and drop a buck or two in the jar to say thanks. My lowest tip so far has been 2 cents... seriously. My highest was a $100 bill for playing Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald.

If I ever grow a pair, I may just hop in my car for a week and drive and look for any place to play out on the road... Just head somewhere... and stop at the small town bars and just ask. I play at a few places in Sedona when I go visit my mother who lives there. I could hit small towns on Route 66 and see how that goes. How cool would that be? playing in Santa Rosa, NM, maybe ABQ... Just see how it goes. Since its just me, and I can afford the occasional hotel stay, it might be fun to just try it. Maybe document it and share as a podcast - Show the rejections I get and maybe have some cool crazy Road experiences...
    Last edited by Yodelgoat; 02-04-2020 at 01:37 PM.

My lowest tip so far has been 2 cents... seriously. My highest was a $100 bill for playing Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald.
    I'd give you $102 to NOT play it.
    If I ever grow a pair, I may just hop in my car for a week and drive and look for any place to play out on the road... Just head somewhere... and stop at the small town bars and just ask. I play at a few places in Sedona when I go visit my mother who lives there. I could hit small towns on Route 66 and see how that goes. How cool would that be? playing in Santa Rosa, NM, maybe ABQ... Just see how it goes. Since its just me, and I can afford the occasional hotel stay, it might be fun to just try it. Maybe document it and share as a podcast - Show the rejections I get and maybe have some cool crazy Road experiences...
    Cool idea!

I'd give you $102 to NOT play it.
    Cool idea!
    that'd be 100.02 - right?

that'd be 100.02 - right?
    Nah. I'd give you a full two dollar tip!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    It is 2020.
    It is more than 50 years since the Beatles ENDED.

What you are doing is like expecting a young someone in the prime era of The Beatles to know the 'Hit Parade of 1917'

How many of these do you know?

Over There

Pack Up Your Troubles in Your Old Kit Bag

????
    I know these two very well, pretty horrendous and now I have the second one stuck in my head as an earworm.

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

... I'm not playing it now...

... I prefer large bills....

Nah. I'd give you a full two dollar tip!
    I'd really like to ask the person who put in the .2 cents, just what they meant by it...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'd really like to ask the person who put in the .2 cents, just what they meant by it...
    "I have loose change in my pocket and this is easier than putting it in the change jar at home"
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

In TEJAS!!! Who knew???
    Speaking of.....did you know the plural form of text is "Texas?"
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

No, it doesn't work that way.