Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Best 3 album stretch?

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Are you sure? I would tend to gravitate more toward 6, 7 and 8, as 5 was more conventional and certainly less "prog" than 8, which was one of his more unconventional compositions. Sure, 5 gets all the modern playing in films, TV ads and during sporting events, which testifies to its more pop oriented influences. But, for prog brilliance in 3 stretch compositional releases, got to go with 6-7-8.

1901–02: Symphony No. 5
    1903–04: Symphony No. 6 in A minor
    1904–05: Symphony No. 7
    1906–07: Symphony No. 8 in E-flat
    Yeah, I'm sure. Ranking Mahler's symphonies are pretty impossible - they are all great and some resonate more than others for personal reasons. As to the comment for M5 being "pop oriented"....ummmm....I'm note sure what that means? Yes the adagietto is probably his most famous single movement (maybe along with M1 3rd mvt.) but in that I don't hear "pop", even by Mahler standards. The other thing is that I personally don't need "proginess" in Mahler to enjoy his music.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

Chick Corea - Return to Forever
    Chick Corea and Return to Forever - Light as a Feather
    Chick Corea and Return to Forever - Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure. Ranking Mahler's symphonies are pretty impossible - they are all great and some resonate more than others for personal reasons. As to the comment for M5 being "pop oriented"....ummmm....I'm note sure what that means? Yes the adagietto is probably his most famous single movement (maybe along with M1 3rd mvt.) but in that I don't hear "pop", even by Mahler standards. The other thing is that I personally don't need "proginess" in Mahler to enjoy his music.
    Your points are well made. Regarding the "Pop oriented" comment, I was using that as a metaphor for the terms used often on this site and other. However, these quotes from reviews of M5 appear to support that description somewhat:

"The symphony is generally regarded as the most conventional symphony that he had yet written."
    "The fourth movement may be Mahler's most famous composition and is the most frequently performed of his works".
    "Although the Adagietto had regularly been performed on its own, it came to popular (i.e. non-classical) prominence in the 1971 Luchino Visconti film Death in Venice".
    "Since then, the music has been used across many fields, from advertising and figure skating to television and further film uses, easily making it the most familiar piece of Mahler's musical output".

As to the "proginess" (again, term used loosely) of M8:

"Although the symphony is often described as being in the key of E minor, its tonal scheme is more complicated. The symphony's first movement moves from B minor (introduction) to E minor, and the work ends with a rondo finale in C major. Thus, as Dika Newlin has pointed out, "in this symphony Mahler returns to the ideal of 'progressive tonality' which he had abandoned in the Sixth". The complexity of the work's tonal scheme was analysed in terms of "interlocking structures" by Graham George".

Of course, as testified by the plethora of 3 album stretch offerings throughout this lengthy thread, it's pretty much subject to what the posters musical tastes dictate. I think that the original poster described what was meant by asking the prog council for "best three album stretch of brilliance in prog"?

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    ok mate. I'm going to whitewash you, since you asked for it

Crescent
    A Love Supreme
    The John Quartet Plays

Unless you give me some of how mundane of an album A Kind Of Blue is
    Ah well, if we're including acoustic jazz in the thread then it's a different ballgame!

I think Crescent is my favourite of all the "classic quartet" studio albums, so you get thumbs up from me for starting your run there.

Of course you know I respect Kind of Blue the mostest, and as a result I am going to refrain from trolling the thread by posting several different three-album runs from the Miles discography, none of which include it...
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Ah well, if we're including acoustic jazz in the thread then it's a different ballgame!

I think Crescent is my favourite of all the "classic quartet" studio albums, so you get thumbs up from me for starting your run there.

Of course you know I respect Kind of Blue the mostest, and as a result I am going to refrain from trolling the thread by posting several different three-album runs from the Miles discography, none of which include it...
    Coltrane's solo on "Crescent" is my absolute FAVORITE solo by him, out of a universe of mind-blowing masterful solos. It's so good - I'll post it here for the mortals to hear it (starts at 1:47 if you wanna just jump in):

If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Coltrane's solo on "Crescent" is my absolute FAVORITE solo by him, out of a universe of mind-blowing masterful solos. It's so good - I'll post it here for the mortals to hear it (starts at 1:47 if you wanna just jump in):

I've no idea how many times I've heard that, but I doubt I'll ever get tired of listening to it.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I've no idea how many times I've heard that, but I doubt I'll ever get tired of listening to it.
    Never heard this before. This is really good. I remember trying Coltrane decades ago and not liking it. Haven't been back until today. My loss. That's why this site is so good. It always shows me something I missed.

Egg - s/t; TPF; TCS
    Hammill - Chameleon; Silent Corner; In Camera
    VdGG - The Least We Can Do; H to He; Pawn Hearts
    Jack Bruce - Songs For A Tailor; Things We Like; Harmony Row
    Strawbs - GNW; Bursting....; H&H
    Groundhogs - Split; Who Will Save...; Hogwash
    Genesis - Trespass; Nursery Cryme; Foxtrot
    Soft Machine - II; Third; Fourth
    JT - This Was; Stand Up; Benefit
    Family - Fearless; Bandstand; It's Only A Movie
    MBs - Lost Chord; Threshold; Children's Children...
    GG - AtT; Three Friends; Octopus
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I think none of these have yet been mentioned...

Bruford: Feels Good to Me, One of a Kind, Gradually Going Tornado (I know GGT is not a classic for some folks but for me it ranks right up there with the first two)
    Hillage: Fish Rising, L, Green (drat, doesn't work, forgot about Motivation Radio...)
    Djam Karet: New Dark Age, Night for Baku, Recollection Harvest. Could also do Reflections of the Firepool, Burning the Hard City, Suspension & Displacement.
    Big Big Train: Underfall Yard, EE1, EE2
    Orme: Collage, Uomo di Pezza, Felona & Sorona

PM's Gong: Gazeuse, Expresso 2, Downwind (I know this is cheating a little...)

That's about it for me in the prog domain. A lot of the ones already mentioned I might tweak one album forward or backward but basically you got 'em already so I won't revisit.

EDIT: One more won't hurt: Pat Metheny Group: s/t, American Garage, Offramp.
    I totally agree with you about Gradually going Tornado.
    It's my favorite of the three

Out of the silent planet
    Gretchen goes to Nebraska
    Faith, hope, love

By King's X

Allan Holdsworth - IOU, Road Games, Metal Fatigue
    Mike Keneally - Hat, Boil That Dust Speck, Sluggo
    Richard Thompson- Daring Adventures, Amnesia, Rumour & Sigh
    Leo Kottke - 6 & 12 String Guitars, Mudlark, Greenhouse
    Tony Rice - Cold On The Shoulder, Me & My Guitar, Native American
    Wayne Shorter - Night Dreamer, Juju, Speak No Evil

okay, I'm tired now...

Hendrix - RUX; Axis; EL
    Cream - Fresh Cream; Disreali Gears; WoF
    Traffic - Mr. Fantasy; s/t; John Barleycorn
    The Move - Shazam; Looking On; Message From the Country
    Joe Cocker - With A Little Help...; s/t; Mad Dogs....
    Jeff Beck - Truth; Beck-Ola; Rough & Ready
    John Mayall - Bare Wires; Laurel Canyon; The Turning Point
    Stones - Beggars Banquet; Let It Bleed; Sticky Fingers
    Jefferson Airplane - Pillow; Baxter's; CoC
    Doors - s/t; Strange Days; Waiting For the Sun
    The Who - Sell Out; Tommy; Who's Next
    Roxy Music - s/t; For Your Pleasure; Stranded
    Man - 2 Ozs; s/t; Do You Like It Here...
    Manfred Mann - Chapter II Vol.1; Vol.2; Earth Band
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

The Beatles (studio UK releases) -- Revolver, Sgt. Peppers, The Beatles/White Album
    The Who -- Tommy, Who's Next, Quadrophenia
    The Rolling Stones -- Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street
    Alice Cooper -- Love It To Death, Killer, School's Out
    Jethro Tull -- Aqualung, Thick As A Brick, Living in the Past
    Black Sabbath -- Master of Reality, Vol. 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    The Pogues -- Red Roses for Me, Rum, Sodomy & The Lash, If I Should Fall from Grace with God
    Jimi Hendrix -- Are You Experienced, Axis: Bold as Love, Electric Ladyland
    Pink Floyd -- Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals
    David Bowie -- Hunky Dory, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, Aladdin Sane
    Peter Gabriel -- Melt, Security, So
    Gentle Giant -- Three Friends, Octopus, In a Glass House
    Fairport Convention -- What We Did on Our Holidays, Unhalfbricking, Liege & Lief
    Simon & Garfunkel -- Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme, Bookends, Bridge over Troubled Water
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

ELP - Love Beach, Black Moon, In the Hot Seat

I’m really stretching it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post

All our favorite prog bands have put out some crap albums here and there, but three in a row? I can't think of anyone other than ELP who have achieved that feat! Well done.

Did anyone say Passport yet?

Hand Made (1973)
    Looking Thru (1974)
    Cross-Collateral (1975)

All our favorite prog bands have put out some crap albums here and there, but three in a row? I can't think of anyone other than ELP who have achieved that feat! Well done.
    If Phil Collins was prog.........
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Iron Maiden
    Piece of Mind
    Powerslave
    Somewhere in Time

Judas Priest
    Stained Class
    Hell Bent for Leather
    British Steel

You know, I never would have thought ELP was capable of such a thing but yet here they are. Cannot figure out what happened to these guys. Things started going downhill with Works I
    Last edited by dgtlman; 02-17-2020 at 11:22 AM.

They did it earlier than this! Works Volume 2, Love Beach and In Concert. I will certainly admit that the former is not a bad album but it's a ragbag of material, some good, some not. Some of it was getting on in years by then as well. When The Who did a similar album they at least called it Odds And Sods. This makes no such distinction.

Love Beach has been raked over many times.

In Concert is a total dud- the selections from the Montreal concert were very badly mixed, and track selection was poor. They should have just put out what came out on the King Biscuit CD in the 90s (from Wheeling, West Virginia, I think?). A better send-off for the band.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Man - 2 Ozs; s/t; Do You Like It Here...
    For me, Be Good To Yourself..., Back Into The Future and Rhinos Winos And Lunatics. Their three best albums, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Did anyone say Passport yet?

Hand Made (1973)
    Looking Thru (1974)
    Cross-Collateral (1975)
    Good to see Passport get some respect in this thread, however from my perspective their best 3 album stretch would be:

Cross-Collateral (1975)
    Infinity Machine (1976)
    Iguaçu (1977) (The album cover and the music blend perfectly to create a jazz rock classic)

Don't know if these have already been mentioned

It Bites

The Big Lad in the Windmill
    Once Around the World
    Eat Me in St. Louis

So much to agree with so far.

I might have missed these:

Mahavishnu Orchestra: The Inner Mounting Flame, Birds of Fire, Apocalypse
    Iceberg: Coses Nostres, Sentiments, Arc-En-Ciel
    Jean Luc Ponty: Imaginary Voyage, Enigmatic Ocean, Cosmic Messenger
    Oregon: Violin, Out of the Woods, roots in the Sky
    Eberhard Weber: Colours of Chloe, Yellow Fields, The Following Morning
    Samla Mammas Manna: Matid, Klossa Knapitatet, Gregory Allan Fitzpatrick's Snorungarnas Symfoni
    Pain of Salvation: One Hour by the Concrete Lake, Perfect Element. Remedy Lane
    Last edited by simon moon; 02-17-2020 at 03:39 PM.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Duplicate
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell